selling an old knackered engine

PhillM

Visit site
Also don't mention the episode where it was under water - this really is up to the buyer to find out for themselves.

:)

Hmm I bourght an engine and then found out it had been under water and wouldn't turn over. Call to the RYA legal team sorted it out, but it was stressful and nearly very costly.

Hoping that im having a sense of humanity n bi-pass.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
I'd start off by not describing it as 'old and knackered' in your ebay advert.

Also don't mention the episode where it was under water - this really is up to the buyer to find out for themselves.

Next, miss out all the relevant information except for the make and model.

Then load the add with these pointless phrases -

'reluctant sale', 'starts first time', 'first to see will buy' and 'real head turner'

And don't forget...

'No time wasters please' at the bottom. And probably best if you don't use your normal phone number and try to meet them in a petrol station to do the deal.

Good luck!
:)
:D

I'm clearly too honest!

I managed to get it drained and started after its swim... fortunately it was only under water for 15 mins.... and after 3 oil changes, it seemed ok.... but slowly, the ancilliaries you'd expect to suffer such as the alternator, gave up, and its time for a new engine, rather than spending a chunk on this one... the main cost being a new injector pump, which at £500 made the decision a lot easier!

Thanks for all the advice... will chuck it in on B&O or eBay, and see what happens....I do note that some bits such as the end plate cover and water pump gears fetch decent amounts on there!

LittleShip

Visit site
P of Hamble.

You need to quote the numbers on the engine. These engines were used for many years in everything from dumper trucks to generators, and as you would expect went through many changes over the years.

They are mostly easily refurbished and the ancillary bits are available. You may find that the cost of rebuilding is much more cost effective than buying new.

Tom.

pcatterall

Visit site
That's a good price for the 4108. I will be selling mine when I've fitted the new one from Marine Power in a month or so. It doesn't smoke, good starter, good oil pressure so should be worth at least £500 minus gearbox.
Can you say why you changed it for the MP engine rather than having the 4108 reconned? I have considered preparing a complete reconditioned 4108 or when mine needs replacing.

LP1

Visit site
what about a nice running Yanmar 1GM10 with fuel tank, exhaust, controls, battery, speed seal impeller cover, on a pallet can be seen running. Or should I split it up?

Tranona

Visit site
what about a nice running Yanmar 1GM10 with fuel tank, exhaust, controls, battery, speed seal impeller cover, on a pallet can be seen running. Or should I split it up?

Hardly a suitable replacement for the OPs big Ford engine.

Think you will find it easier to sell as a package, which is what I did with my 1GM. Good demand and an ad in boats and Outboards will have your phone ringing in no time.

ianj99

Visit site
Can you say why you changed it for the MP engine rather than having the 4108 reconned? I have considered preparing a complete reconditioned 4108 or when mine needs replacing.

Getting too old and knackered to be bothering with overhauling it should the need arise so thought I'd treat myself and the old girl to a new, somewhat larger (20%) more torquier engine which will give a bit more speed flat out, but still allow quiet cruising at 2000rpm / 6kts with the Kiwi prop set as it is now.

I am hopeful that the MP446 will be smoother and quieter as well - my worst fear is that I've just ordered a 2.15L Chinese 4108!!!
The 4108 will soldier on I'm sure for years in its new home and someone will get a good engine which has had money spent on it over the last 5 years. (had one enquiry already)
Ian

Boat441

Visit site
I replaced a 4108 about five years ago. Advertised it on b&o. Solid it no problems. I got a palate and mounted it on that, so a courier could easily pick it up. Think it ended up in a little skiff in Ireland.

Good luck.