self steering gears

Wansworth

Visit site
I will be needing to buy a self steering gear for a small 24 footer,long keel about 2.5 tonne.I dont think I am readt for any heroic races but info on race proven gear would give me an idea..thanks

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I can't be effusive enough about the Windpilot Pacific Light. Never let me down. Reacts well to her annual wash down and spray of WD40. Survived batterings that most other fitting on the boat have not. Light enough to not weigh down the stern too much, but more importantly at the same time robust.

Free book and more information here:

http://www.windpilot.de/

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Well at least two, MingMing and Ella Trout III. I know Roger Taylor thinks the Windpilot Pacific Light is outstanding, although he has carried out modifications to his to make it adjustable from either the cabin or the cockpit.

As we were going down the Channel, Roger Fitzgerald reported his Windpilot was a bit stiff, I suggested some WD40 and he told me in Praia that that had fixed the problem and it was great after that. [Roger's electric autohelm was playing up going down the Channel so he was somewhat concerned about being able to steer all the way to Terceira, so was pleased the WD40 was such a simple fix].

Independence

Visit site
Yes, I had a Windpilot on Indecision and was delighted with it's performance.

As Indecision is now sold I had intended selling the Windpilot by offering it first through this forum. I just haven't got round to doing anything about it but would be pleased to agree a price.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to at pmead50@hotmail.com

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Hi Junk

I would be very interested in your view on the plans of the Hartley system, as I have a Hartley 39 RORC (non-Jester) in dire need of some self steering.

For the Jester (Corribee 21) I have managed to obtain the top half of a Navik from a wrecked boat, but the bottom half - the paddle and trim tab - are like the Holy Grail. Plastimo are supposed to hold spares, but Navimo (UK distributor near Southampton) don't seem to now much about it.

If I had the budget, I would go for a Sea Feather. Each one is custom made, they work very well in light, following winds, and there have been some very clever innovations such as interchangeable wind-vanes, a 'farm gate' kick-up/latch down system for the paddle, and a 'continuous line' to make vane changes from the safety of the cockpit. (This is the modification that Roger Taylor has retro-fitted to his.)

Paul Dalton, who makes them in his workshop in Devon, is a vane enthusiast, and he designed the Sea feather specifically for the smaller boats ( 20-30ft) He'll even fit it and fine tune it for you with a test sail, (for a fee, and providing you don't live too far away.)

So - if anyone knows where I can find the bottom half of a Navik (I'm going to have to chop the top around to make it fit outside the permanently rigged outboard anyway) I would be eternally grateful.

I've also picked up a QEM vane for £35 from a Jumble. Worse case scenario, I might even be able to get that to work, but it looks a bit....well...you know....

Jake (Pod)

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Thanks Eric!

Still no supplier for spares, but I'll keep on at Plastimo. It seems a second-hand unit in reasonable condition goes for about £500 ( or Euro 500 - not much difference nowadays!)

I've really pushed my 'E' grade O level French exploring the 'regulateurs', but it was a useful link! I appreciate it.

Tommyrot - yes, if I can get the Navik to work, then you're welcome to the QEM. It seems a very simple bit of kit, obviously (professionally) built to a budget. Lots of galvanised bolts with square nuts, but made from some good quality mahogany. As you know, it works directly on the tiller by wind pressure alone (rather than the far more powerful water pressure) so has a large plywood vane. I have heard they can work reasonably well if the boat is relatively well balanced. It may be fun just to try it and see!

For the bigger boat I've also got my eye on the Hydrovane. Eye-wateringly expensive, but it does give you a secondary rudder, and is completely self contained. If I start saving for one now....(sigh)

I was impressed by the honesty of Mr Vee's website, especially as some Jesters have reported back on the glitches of this remarkably cheap self steering. The manufacturer has taken them on board, and is offering retrofit upgrades. Good for him. It seems that the Jester Challenge is carrying some weight now as a proving ground for budget cruising equipment!

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
"For the bigger boat I've also got my eye on the Hydrovane. Eye-wateringly expensive, but it does give you a secondary rudder, and is completely self contained. If I start saving for one now....(sigh)"

Fantastic bit of kit, and I was lucky enough to get one s/h earlier this year. I like the idea of it being self-contained, and requiring no linkage to the steering system, but it is comparatively heavy and I wouldn't want to have it a boat less than about 30'.

A mate built a smaller version in stainless for his Westerly Pageant, which works very well (but it did take him a year of evening metalwork classes /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) It fits inside the stern ladder, and an ingenious bit of engineering allows him to lift the rudder on a sliding shaft and tuck it behind the ladder out of the way.

Superflid

Visit site
Thanks Jake, I'd love something a bit more efficient, but the budget just isn't there! The Coro is nicely balanced and I'm sure the QEM would give me a break from the tiller now and again.
I've got an electric tiller pilot but try not to use it too much with limited battery charging onboard.
I've been given some surgical rubber tube (which is said to be better than bungee) which I'll be experimenting with a bit of sheet-to-tiller this year.

Pye_End

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and there have been some very clever innovations such as interchangeable wind-vanes,

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain this comment a bit more?

Presume swapping vanes is possible on a lot of designs (seem to remember some of the old 'greats' have a light airs and a strong airs vane). Although this is easy to make up, don't recall this being something on offer by Paul, or have things changed in the last year or two?

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and there have been some very clever innovations such as interchangeable wind-vanes,

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain this comment a bit more?

[/ QUOTE ]

On my Sea Feather there are 3 positions to angle the vane against a grub screw (better get a few spares I think!). From a quick play ashore there is presumably a light wind setting where the vane is ahead of the pivot, normal vertical and strong wind canted 20 degrees or so downwind. I guess you could put on a bigger / smaller vane too as it is only held in by one wing nut (perhaps a lanyard / elastic will be added too to prevent mishaps when adjusting!)

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Your point about a lanyard should be well-noted - the hydrovane vane has a large area and a mind of its own when putting it on/taking it off in any kind of breeze. I use a lanyard with a wrist loop, which only comes off when the vane is firmly fitted or back in the cabin /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
-------
Still no supplier for spares, but I'll keep on at Plastimo. It seems a second-hand unit in reasonable condition goes for about £500 ( or Euro 500 - not much difference nowadays!)
------
I just bought one for my potential use.
The second hand market price is betwenn 400 and 600 Euros.
Eric

richfw

Visit site
I have bought a Mr Vee (modified by the manufacturer as a result of Jester Challenge 08 experiences) - have yet to fit it to my Westerly Tiger, so would be grateful for advice on that and any other aspect of the system from anyone who has used it. Thanks.
Richard