Self Service Locks

GAJ52

Visit site
Being new to boating I haven't encountered self service locks on the Thames that often, but one occasion occurred yesterday from Chertsey to Penton Hook both being self service. I was approx. 150 metres behind a boat that had just gone into Penton Hook lock and to my surprise the lock gates started closing. I was in a 39 foot Birchwood so not exactly hard to see, luckily my destination was to Penton Hook Marina but had not yet moved over to the left, but the boater in the lock didn't know that.

On another occasion I was actually waiting at a lock 'waiting area' for the boats to leave the lock only to find some joker closing the lock gates after the last boat exited !!

I always thought the boating community had a friendly camaraderie with each other, but it appears in certain circumstances this attitude disappears.

Glen

rosssavage

Visit site
Generally we do, but there's always some plonker, in every walk of life....

Had a reasonable falling out with a selfish, arrogant git in his brand new boat a few weeks ago, culminating in my SWMBO telling his missus to f*** o** quite loudly!! She's never done that before, this bloke was a complete prat.

She got a thumbs up from one other boat owner, and a "well done!" from another....

99% of the time you'll find people are friendly, courteous etc etc.. don't let one idiot put you off :)

TrueBlue

Visit site
This is going to be an increasing problem this year and probably following years.

Partly due to ignorance - folks are used to having the locks worked for them
or selfishness - don't want others to share 'their' locks.

Confrontation is probably not wise, but I'd be prepared to name and shame (not that it would do much good)

Working locks can be pleasant - I've many conversations while waiting for the water to rise or fall. To me that's what boating is all about

oldgit

Visit site
Always have a quick look at see if anybody is coming into view, before closing gates.
Normally if alone in lock will give it a moment or two before starting operations and will reopen gates if somebody appears and we have not started to fill the lock.
After that its just tough.
All I want peeps to do is to shut the blimming sluices after they exit when going downstream. The lock at Hempstead nr Yalding was notorious for the users of the adjacent marina bolting into the marina to avoid having to moor their boat on lower staging and climbing up steep slope to gates to drop the paddles down again.

alanch

Visit site
At Chertsey lock Sunday pm. 4 boats to lock up, standing at the lower controls with sluices open, just about to open the gates. A youth marched down the lock, barged in front and pressed sluice closed claiming he wanted to lock down! Calmly told where to go and he sulked off. Funny thing was, as we locked up , we saw his boat - inflatable canoe!

ianc1200

Visit site
The worst problem is people refuse to move further down the lock/closer to the next boat, which if the keeper were there he would/should instruct them to do.

apollo

Visit site
The worst problem is people refuse to move further down the lock/closer to the next boat, which if the keeper were there he would/should instruct them to do.

Not a problem for a calm collected guy like me, just plough up the front and tie up...

apollo

Visit site
have been known to slip down the side of a lock and bypass the muppets in pirate outfits. (Did yesterday in Sunbury lock)

TrueBlue

Visit site
Always have a quick look at see if anybody is coming into view, before closing gates.
Normally if alone in lock will give it a moment or two before starting operations and will reopen gates if somebody appears and we have not started to fill the lock.
After that its just tough.
All I want peeps to do is to shut the blimming sluices after they exit when going downstream. The lock at Hempstead nr Yalding was notorious for the users of the adjacent marina bolting into the marina to avoid having to moor their boat on lower staging and climbing up steep slope to gates to drop the paddles down again.

AARRGHH - please don't encourage Thames boaters to do this!!!!

On the round top pedestals (Boveney (ish) and above) the next boater going up will have to complete the emptying cycle before he can open the gates.

ANYWAY EA protocols request that you leave the sluices up when exiting downstream.

ianc1200

Visit site
Totally agree; causes a lot of confusion even amongst experienced boaters (ie me) who have forgotten how to "reset" an apparently empty lock. Can cause people to randomly press everything at once & cut out the system.

Chris_d

Visit site
AARRGHH - please don't encourage Thames boaters to do this!!!!

On the round top pedestals (Boveney (ish) and above) the next boater going up will have to complete the emptying cycle before he can open the gates.

ANYWAY EA protocols request that you leave the sluices up when exiting downstream.

+1

Always leave bottom sluices open to drain the lock even if departing upstream, only exception is Culham which take 20 minutes to fill so unofficially I would always leave the gates open even if departing upstream.

teddington_lock

Visit site
Totally agree; causes a lot of confusion even amongst experienced boaters (ie me) who have forgotten how to "reset" an apparently empty lock. Can cause people to randomly press everything at once & cut out the system.

The amount of calls we get every evening in the summer where this happens is unreal.

Remember , if we have to get a lock keeper out to help , it all costs money in overtime , call outs etc

We had one the other day where a lady called through to the helpline that she was stuck in XYZ lock , I duly dispatched a lock keeper to extricate her ... Turns out that there was nothing wrong with the lock and she was 'just a little unsure how it worked and wanted someone to make sure she didn't make a mistake '

Last edited:

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
And another gripe, when on self service and some kind sole (i.e. me) is operating the lock do not be too offended when eventually they tire of operating the lock for everyone and get back in their own boat to continue their trip, I am not a part time lockie!

Perhaps only a problem where there are lot of first time day trippers (Marsh) but had it happen to me a couple of times.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
And another gripe, when on self service and some kind sole (i.e. me) is operating the lock do not be too offended when eventually they tire of operating the lock for everyone and get back in their own boat to continue their trip, I am not a part time lockie!

Have not found this to be a problem - maybe because I don't allow the situation to develop !
Generally manage to ensure next users (either direction) take over in time for me to get back on boat and exit lock as I would if it were manned.

Glorfindel

Visit site
Not having tested my buoyancy for many years I always wear a life jacket when mooring and locking - many folks therefore assume that I'm a Lockie - does get a bit frustrating as one does try not to be rude

Phill

Visit site
During the late eighties and early nineties, me and two friends, all in our late twenties used to keep our three boats at Bray. A weekend consisted of getting away Friday evening to Cliveden and returning Sunday evening. Our cruising was mostly done after lock keepers hours and the locks would have to be hand wound. The two things I remember most is how little help us youngsters would get from other boats that were sharing the locks with us, and what a sobering effect the winding had on a Sunday evening, especially at Boulters.
As I'm now in my fifties, I quite like pressing buttons after hours as I'm not sure I could hand wind them anymore.

funinthesun

Visit site

Happened to us a week or so ago. My daughter sent ahead to operate lock, totally capable, intelligent 16 year old. 7/8 way through the cycle a complete pillock jumps off his canal boat, bullies her off the pedestal and starts pushing buttons randomly! Result, bray lock buggered for 45 mins waiting for lock keeper to reset. I won't mention the boat name, but he's lucky I didn't put him in the lock!