[SEEKING ADVICE] Sailing from Falmouth to the Isles of Scilly

jeksor

Visit site
Hello sailors,

I am a novice Day Skipper who obtained my license in the summer of 2022.
Currently, my crew and I are planning a sailing trip from Falmouth to the Scilly Isles and back.
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback on our draft plan.

Any blind spots?
Any poor decisions in the plan?
Any advice or warnings?
What wind force or sea state should we use as a STOP for our strip?

Context:
  • Skipper's Experience
    • I have 10 days of sailing experience, including several hours of night sailing.
  • Crew
    • We have a crew of 8 people, with 3 of us being day skippers with similar levels of experience. The remaining members have sailed as crew on a few occasions before.
  • Dates
    • We plan to depart from Falmouth on July 15th and return on July 18th.
  • Boat
    • We will be sailing on a Bavaria 38, a 2003 model with a length overall (LOA) of 11.85 meters, a draft of 1.85 meters, and a 29-horsepower engine.
    • The fuel capacity is 150 litres, and the water capacity is 370 litres.
    • We have rented the boat from BOWMAN YACHT CHARTERS.
Our proposed draft plan is as follows:
  1. Arrival and Preparation:
    • On the evening of July 14th, the crew will arrive in Falmouth to stock provisions, familiarize ourselves with the boat, and finalize the planning.
  2. Departure:
    • If weather conditions permit, we intend to slip off Falmouth Marina at 6 a.m. on July 15th (it's earlier, but we want to practice a bit, before heading to the open water)
    • By 7 a.m., we expect to reach the exit of Falmouth Marina.
  3. Training:
    • We plan to spend approximately 1-hour practising tacking, jibing, MOB (man overboard) drills, and reefing in the vicinity of 50° 04.810' N 05° 01.246' W (hope the traffic won't be a problem, it's about 2nm NE to Manacles E cardinal)
  4. Timing and Course:
    • By 8 a.m. (high water at Dover -0230), we aim to be east of Manacle BYB, taking advantage of 4 hours of favourable tides.
    • Our intended course is to stay 3 nautical miles south of Lizard Point and head in a direction of 270° towards the Scilly Isles (St. Mary's Sound entrance)
    • The journey from this point to St. Mary's Sound is approximately 66 nautical miles, which, at an average speed of 6 knots, should take around 12-13 hours.
    • Upon approaching St. Mary's Sound, we plan to enter the transit 307°, 3 nautical miles southeast of Spanish Ledge.
  5. Arrival at St. Mary's:
    • By 8 p.m., we expect to reach the entrance of St. Mary's Sound, using the recommended transits. It is approximately 4 nautical miles to St. Mary's Harbour from there.
    • We anticipate arriving at St. Mary's Harbour by 9 p.m., where we will either moor or anchor. If strong gales from the west or northwest are forecasted, we may consider using Porth Cressa instead.
Question 1:
  • Regarding the wind force or sea state that would prompt us to stop the trip, we will closely monitor the forecast.
    If the wind forecast indicates below 15 knots with gusts up to 25 knots and good visibility, we consider the passage safe and feasible.
    However, if conditions are unfavourable, we will opt for an alternative route to Penzance or stay in the vicinity of Falmouth.
    Is it too cautious?
Question 2:
  • I do have concerns that the direct passage of 66 nautical miles may be too exhausting for the crew.
    Should we consider splitting the passage and spending a night at Newlyn or Penzance? However, this would significantly reduce our time on the Scilly Isles.
    I wonder if it is overly optimistic to assume that our novice crew and the chosen boat will be able to maintain an average speed of 6 knots throughout the journey to the Scilly Isles.
Question 3:
  • Arriving at St. Mary's Harbour around 9 pm would be 5 hours after HW.
    It is generally considered advantageous as we can have better visibility of rocks, is it?
Thank you for your assistance in reviewing our plan.
I eagerly await your feedback and suggestions.

Note 1: In our planning process, we will be utilizing paper charts for passage planning.
However, at the moment, I am referring to resources such as Reeds Almanac and the West Cruising Company by Mark Fishwick, as well as utilizing online charts from Savvy Navvy.

Note 2: I have noticed that Savvy Navvy plots a route with an excessive number of tacks, which seems more complex than I anticipated.
I would appreciate any insight into whether the actual navigation on the water is as intricate as depicted in the software or if it simplifies the process.

Note 3: I have attached a couple of screenshots with the preliminary routes generated by Savvy Navvy.

Attachments

• manacles_isles-of-scilly.png
    manacles_isles-of-scilly.png
    733.8 KB · Views: 24
  • practicing_area.jpeg
    practicing_area.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 23
  • st-marys-approach.png
    st-marys-approach.png
    836.8 KB · Views: 24

SimonD

Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, I commend the level of detail in your planning and the thought that has clearly gone into it. However, looking at the forecast from Meteo France, I would advise (actually strongly advise) against the trip. The forecast westerly F5 is not the sort of weather you want to spend ten or twelve hours beating to windward in the long open water trip to the Scilly Isles. You really need a forecast of a week of settled weather and no more than a F3. That's nothing to do with your experience; I've got quite of few years under my belt but I certainly wouldn't do it.

Instead, I would recommend spending a few days in one of the best cruising areas in the British Isles. You'll get some shelter from the wind out of Falmouth. Have a day exploring the Fal, and pop over to Helford for a night. If conditions allow, head off for Fowey for a night, then onto Plymouth or Newton Ferrers if you want peace and quiet. On the way back, make a big tack out to Eddystone for a look. You'll get plenty of experience on this sort of mini-cruise and not frighten the wits out of your crew!

fisherman

Visit site
To be fair, the tide is not too big, 17ft1 max at the end, so no big deal in open water. Boat is capable.........

but there is fun to be had east of the Lizard. Lots.

morgandlm

Visit site
I completely agree with SimonD including his commendation of all the planning you have done. I have done the exact passage you are proposing but in a rather larger yacht and with a very experienced crew. In the event we went via Newlyn because we had an alternator problem although we came back to Falmouth in one go. The really big issue is that the Scillies are out in the open sea and can be subject to rapid changes of weather and it's a long way home (relatively). In our case we had identified what looked a perfect weather window but still ended up leaving the islands a day early to run home before some big winds arrived that had not been predicted during our earlier planning. It was a great trip with some very exciting sailing but had taken some years of thinking about before we identified the opportunity - even then flexibility was needed. In view of your relative inexperience, I fully endorse the idea of exploring what is a wonderful coastal sailing area with rather shorter passages. Helford, Fowey Mevagissey and even Plymouth and The Yealm all very doable.
David Morgan

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I think it's a little early to be scrubbing due to weather.
My concern would be 8 people on a 38ft is a bit cramped and will take some shepherding to keep an eye on everyone but so long as everyone is taking things seriously It should be ok. Safety equipment for 8?
If closer to the start date the weather looks like it will be marginal then enjoy the local cruising grounds.
I haven't done the Isles of Scilly but funnily enough I did this passage plan for my YM exam. TSS to cross or avoid and tides are the main considerations.
Guide

jwilson

Visit site
To be fair, the tide is not too big, 17ft1 max at the end, so no big deal in open water. Boat is capable.........

but there is fun to be had east of the Lizard. Lots.
Fisherman is right.

Once you have had wind from the west or most other directions bar east for a few days the bit round Lands End can get surprisingly lumpy. Given experience levels and also possibly gained in more benign waters, you may be better off with more local sailing, or Helford/Fowey/Plymouth etc.

I've been off Lands End to windward in only a force 5 SW with a 20 foot at least swell and green water over the deck. Not a problem, but I've sailed in (much much) worse. It was on a 38 foot boat.

Wait and see: weather may improve.

Daydream believer

Visit site
8 people is too many. Will there be enough room in the cockpit to sit to windward?
No one will want to spend the trip down below & sitting on the leaward cockpit seat is conducive to sea sickness. 4 people are enough. You will be tripping over each other & once one start pucking the rest will follow.
Believe me, I know more about chucking up than anyone. :cry:

st599

Visit site
Regularly sail with 8 in a 40' and race with 7 in a 33'. Quite good fun and allows you to run watches.

Scillies is interesting - lovely Bavarian backerei in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason.

fisherman

Visit site
Scilly is idyllic, no question. A very different vibe, that may not be appreciated on board.
Take Helford and Falmouth. Falmouth you can go ashore in the ancient town, with all its fleshpots, the variety of food is remarkable. Then Flushing, Mylor, St Mawes, Truro river, Pandora Inn, Roseland peninsula, and the river is big enough to sail from pub to pub.
Helford has the Ferryboat and Shiprights plus sailing club, scenery up river, Frenchman's, trip to Gweek. From St Anthony you can walk up to Manaccan pub. And you haven't even touched Portscatho, Mevagissey, Fowey, Looe; and Coverack, Cadgwith to the West.
Trip to Scilly you don't half pass a lot of nice places on the way, and with your deadlines you may end up struggling. You might need more time.

Last edited:

Baddox

Visit site
It’s too early to make a decision based on a weather forecast for 10 days ahead. If the forecast on the day of departure looks OK, you could easily set off and see how you and the crew progress. All being well you can continue, or if there are concerns you can divert to Helford or Newlyn.

HughClayton

Visit site
The Scillies are great but they really aren’t somewhere to rush to with limited time or deadlines. You might get lucky with the weather, or you might not, but, with the time that you appear to have available you’re more likely to have fun exploring between Helford and Fowey. There’s some of the best cruising waters around in this area and lots of opportunities. Great planning but IMHO your planning to be rushed.

chris-s

Visit site
We went twice last year in our little 23ft bilge keeler from Falmouth, so I’m sure you will have no issues given the right considerations

Points…as mentioned weather, you don’t want to be there in a storm, similarly consider the wind direction for your outward/return journey. Time your passage out to get the tide right at the lizard, this will mean punching a bit of tide between Falmouth and the lizard, gets a bit lumpy around the manacles.
Once you arrive, you might find it best to try and grab a mooring ball at st Mary’s, they allow rafting when busy. It makes things a lot less stressful after your first trip.
The islands don’t provide much shelter from the wind and even the currents tend to wrap around and find their way into you, so be prepared to move for better anchorages.
Know your draft and make sure your depth instrument is calibrated.
I would highly recommend this pilot guide … Harbours and Anchorages of Scilly: A Yachtsman's Guide to the Isles of Scilly Amazon.co.uk

Good luck!

Boathook

Visit site
The more I read the OP's post I would say stay local for all the reasons mentioned. I've done the IoS about 3 times now, and the weather needs to be settled, especially for a first trip.
As others have mentioned, the local places even up to Plymouth will give a lot of sailing to build up your and others experience.
You are only on the boat for 4 days sailing and I wouldn't consider the IoS for such a short period on my boat.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Regularly sail with 8 in a 40' and race with 7 in a 33'. Quite good fun and allows you to run watches.

Scillies is interesting - lovely Bavarian backerei in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason.
Racing with a big crew is a different proposition. They are active, all over the deck, sitting on the weather rail, handling spinnaker, tacking the jib etc.

It is a different proposition to 8 just sat in the cockpit for 12 hours, on one tack, doing very little, as happens when one is cruising. Sailing on a 270 deg course in a SW breeze heeled over, in a lumpy swell, for 12 hours, is not really much fun, when huddled together, feet constantly braced, whilst sitting on a hard cockpit seat, getting wet.
Or one could opt for sitting on the low side, staring at the sky, back hurting like hell, unable to move, whilst wondering if one dares risk a journey to the heads & stripping off all the gear just for a pee.

Last edited:

colhel

Visit site
I personally think 8 mates on a 38 footer could be great fun 😀. Also agree with those that say it's too early to make a judgement based on a forecast this early. It could well be f5 but equally could be f8 or f3. It's good to get an idea of what's ahead but wait till 3 days before casting a closer look, I reckon

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Racing with a big crew is a different proposition. They are active, all over the deck, sitting on the weather rail, handling spinnaker, tacking the jib etc.

It is a different proposition to 8 just sat in the cockpit for 12 hours, on one tack, doing very little, as happens when one is cruising. Sailing on a 270 deg course in a SW breeze heeled over, in a lumpy swell, for 12 hours, is not really much fun, when huddled together, feet constantly braced, whilst sitting on a hard cockpit seat, getting wet.
Or one could opt for sitting on the low side, staring at the sky, back hurting like hell, unable to move, whilst wondering if one dares risk a journey to the heads & stripping off all the gear just for a pee.
Sailing eh? Why do we do it!

roaringgirl

bit.ly
If you get there in the evening and the wind is favourable, consider anchoring in the bay off Porth Cressa.
Also put a coy of NP255 Lands End : Monty Mariner on your phone / tablet.

Why? The main bay is large, easy to navigate and has mooring buoys unless it's blowing a NW F10 I'd rather go there and pick up a mooring instead of anchoring in the dark in limited space between rocks.