seawolf 26

DanTribe

Visit site
Hi
A friend has asked my opinion on buying a seawolf 26 bilge keel.
It's not a boat that I have had any experience with, but it looks like a capable boat.
They seem to ask for top dollar compared with, say, a Sadler 26.
Any views?

KREW2

Visit site
Hi
A friend has asked my opinion on buying a seawolf 26 bilge keel.
It's not a boat that I have had any experience with, but it looks like a capable boat.
They seem to ask for top dollar compared with, say, a Sadler 26.
Any views?
Dipper of this parish has one. If he doesn't pick up on this PM him.

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
I have a fin keel version. Nice little boat, quite well behaved, stands up to more breeze than you might expect (maybe not so much for bilge keel?)

Quite a few were fitted out by owners, so finish can vary quite a lot. However, base construction seems pretty solid. Mk2/3 probably preferable due to better headroom.

There is a Facebook group, Cobra and Seawolf Owners, so maybe worth a look. The boat is question may be known on there.

DanTribe

Visit site
I have a fin keel version. Nice little boat, quite well behaved, stands up to more breeze than you might expect (maybe not so much for bilge keel?)

Quite a few were fitted out by owners, so finish can vary quite a lot. However, base construction seems pretty solid. Mk2/3 probably preferable due to better headroom.

There is a Facebook group, Cobra and Seawolf Owners, so maybe worth a look. The boat is question may be known on there.
Thanks, I've joined the facebook page but as they are mostly proud owners, I think I'm unlikely to get unbiased opinions.
My friends are currently newish to dinghy sailing but keen to get a small cruiser. With two teenage lads I'm concerned that they might soon get bored if the Seawolf is too safe and lacking in performance.
They are also looking at a Formula 28 which is the other extreme. and too twitchy.

Dipper

Visit site
I'm a proud owner with a biased opinion! David Feltham (designer of the Cobra series of yachts) originally built a Seawolf 26 for himself to race in the Round the Island Race but when people expressed interest in one for themselves he started up Seawolf Yachts and eventually 50 Seawolf 26s were built along with a few larger models. Mine is a fin keel version and was the second one he built although it was owner completed. The early versions like mine had low coach roofs so headroom was a bit limited. Later versions had a raised coach roof with standing headroom and a taller mast, larger mainsail and higher boom. As such, they would require earlier reefing and are a bit heavier on the helm.

David Feltham had an excellent reputation for building good performing bilge keelers. One sailing magazine review of a twin keel version was titled 'Wolf in sheep's clothing?'. The reviewer noted the sailing performance as follows: "I took her out in a gusty Force 6 and was highly impressed with her stiffness, her easy-going gait and her ability to point. And remember, this was the twin keeled version. She's well balanced - not quite so light on the helm as some perhaps - but responsive, directionally stable and surprisingly nippy.' So your friend need not worry about the bilge keel performance.

A Yachting Monthly used boat review described it as 'Stiff, quick and predictable though a little heavy on the helm in some conditions, the Seawolf is a good seaboat.'.

I used to race mine in club races where it performed well. It won the overall points trophy one year in its class. I know a 26 used to compete regularly in the RIR where it came first in its class one year. I would have thought that the Sadler 26 would be comparable in performance and is indeed an excellent boat. The original owner of my boat contacted me a few years ago. He sailed her extensively around the south coast and Channel islands and the next owner took her across to Holland. I haven't been nearly as adventurous but have cruised the Solent and the West Country. I've owned mine for 29 years but sadly I've decided that I'm no longer sailing her enough so I'll probably put her up for sale this year. The main reason I kept her was that she sailed so well and was so light on the helm being a Mk1 version.

DanTribe

Visit site
I'm a proud owner with a biased opinion! David Feltham (designer of the Cobra series of yachts) originally built a Seawolf 26 for himself to race in the Round the Island Race but when people expressed interest in one for themselves he started up Seawolf Yachts and eventually 50 Seawolf 26s were built along with a few larger models. Mine is a fin keel version and was the second one he built although it was owner completed. The early versions like mine had low coach roofs so headroom was a bit limited. Later versions had a raised coach roof with standing headroom and a taller mast, larger mainsail and higher boom. As such, they would require earlier reefing and are a bit heavier on the helm.

David Feltham had an excellent reputation for building good performing bilge keelers. One sailing magazine review of a twin keel version was titled 'Wolf in sheep's clothing?'. The reviewer noted the sailing performance as follows: "I took her out in a gusty Force 6 and was highly impressed with her stiffness, her easy-going gait and her ability to point. And remember, this was the twin keeled version. She's well balanced - not quite so light on the helm as some perhaps - but responsive, directionally stable and surprisingly nippy.' So your friend need not worry about the bilge keel performance.

A Yachting Monthly used boat review described it as 'Stiff, quick and predictable though a little heavy on the helm in some conditions, the Seawolf is a good seaboat.'.

I used to race mine in club races where it performed well. It won the overall points trophy one year in its class. I know a 26 used to compete regularly in the RIR where it came first in its class one year. I would have thought that the Sadler 26 would be comparable in performance and is indeed an excellent boat. The original owner of my boat contacted me a few years ago. He sailed her extensively around the south coast and Channel islands and the next owner took her across to Holland. I haven't been nearly as adventurous but have cruised the Solent and the West Country. I've owned mine for 29 years but sadly I've decided that I'm no longer sailing her enough so I'll probably put her up for sale this year. The main reason I kept her was that she sailed so well and was so light on the helm being a Mk1 version.
Thanks, that's the sort of info I was after.