SeaMaster Engine Controls

Aja

Visit site
I have a SeaMaster 'Morse like' single lever type throttle/gear shift fitted to my boat.It is getting progressively stiffer with age.

On prising off the centre name plate there is a single screw which is easily removed. After that no amount of 3-in-1 or WD40 will allow me to prise off the handle to see what is inside and whether there are any user maintenance parts.

On the other side of the bulkhead there are 4 stainless m/c bolts sticking out. Is this the way in?

I feel that all it needs is a clean out and regrease.

TIA

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

Col

Visit site
Its more likely the cables causing stiffness. If so, you will have to replace them, as greasing them seldom works for long (if at all!!)

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

Aja

Visit site
Hadn't thought of that. I'll remove the cables and try the control without them. Should identify what is at fault.

Thanks
Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
I had trouble trying to pry the lever off of my similar control (of uncertain parentage) until someone told me about the tiny hex-headed grub screw lurking on the underside of the lever holding it onto its spline. It just slides off then, and the whole unit can be rapidly dismantled.

<hr width=100% size=1>

rex_seadog

Visit site
Yes, very likely to be the cables. We've just replaced ours after 5 years and on close inspection found that the outers had corroded resulting in very stiff operation. So much so that we were having trouble engaging reverse. Our cables operate an outboard in a well and therefore subjected to lots of seawater splashing about so can't complain.

<hr width=100% size=1>