Sealine S25/S23 engine out

Harry25

Visit site
Has anyone removed the engine from a Sealine S23/S25. My engine had a rusty sump and I thought I would give it a rub and paint it, but unfortunately or not I was a bit too agressive and now the sump is leaking oil. I have removed the sterndrive DP-E and all the ancillary items inside the engine bay, but there doesn't seem much room to get the engine out. The local farmer is going to give me a hand tomorrow with his tractor. Any advice would be appreciated. I have asked Volvopaul, who was kind enough to give me a quick response, but unfortunately he has not removed one from an S25.

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Has anyone removed the engine from a Sealine S23/S25. My engine had a rusty sump and I thought I would give it a rub and paint it, but unfortunately or not I was a bit too agressive and now the sump is leaking oil. I have removed the sterndrive DP-E and all the ancillary items inside the engine bay, but there doesn't seem much room to get the engine out. The local farmer is going to give me a hand tomorrow with his tractor. Any advice would be appreciated. I have asked Volvopaul, who was kind enough to give me a quick response, but unfortunately he has not removed one from an S25.

Casting my mind back I have , about 12 years ago.
Had to remove intercooler and other parts, we then moved engine forward and spun it sideways, there is enough room to lift it right out the boat, engine was out because DIY owner tried to change his oil through the dispstick and snapped off the tube in the sump.

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
Having had an S23 I would think it should fit through the hatch. Just give it as much room as possible namely get the canopy and arch out of the way and disconnect everything inside the engine compartment. Hope your man has a good hoist and takes it slowly.
Good luck!

Greg2

Visit site
Not had an S23 but took both engines out of a Targa 35. Very tight with very little room in front of the engines and as there were two swinging them round wasn't an option. The answer was a fixed chain to the crane hook on the front of the engine and a chain block and tackle from the rear of the engine to the crane hook. Lifted the engine slightly to move it forward and free of the transom shield and then slowly lifted with frequent pauses to lower the rear of the engine until it was at a very steep angle and could be lifted out if the engine bay. Not for the faint hearted but it worked and was the only way to do it :)

Harry25

Visit site
Well so far so good. Took Volvopaul's advice and swung the engine 90 degrees and out it came. Then lifted it out of the boat to remove sump. Broke a sump nut on removal, and spent ages drilling it out and retapping it. So run out of time to reinstall engine. Wish me luck for tomorrow.

Other threads that may be of interest