Seadrift 20

Moelfre

Visit site
Hi

Can anyone give me any info about the Seadrift 20? I've got a great deal of motor boating experience but am just starting out in the world of sail. I'm going to have a look at a Seadrift this weekend as it's owner fancies exchanging it for my present boat.

Haven't been able to find out a great deal about the boats. Look quite ugly but solid. Lots of freeboard and a good cockpit. My 6 year old daughter is pestering me to get a boat we could sleep in and this looks like the sort of boat which could be a decent starter cruiser. I'll be using a drying mooring and pottering around coastal Anglesey.

Any thoughts happily received.

Thanks!

JimC

Visit site
They were built by Norman Pearn & Co Ltd at Looe in Cornwall and were available as motor boats or yachts. I've never sailed one but a friend of mine had the motor version and went all round Western Scotland in it. He said it was a good sea boat. A few years ago we saw his old boat in Fleetwood and its current owners were similarly pleased with it.

Pearns are no longer building boats I believe and the Seadrift moulds were recently advertised for sale : http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/marine-projects/sea-drift-moulds-for-sale-NPC014

Moelfre

Visit site
Nice one - thank you. I'm going to have a look at one this Sunday and might be tempted to put in a cheeky offer. It just lookes like something which may be ok to start off in and I can keep on a cheap drying mooring.

alant

Visit site
Hi

Can anyone give me any info about the Seadrift 20? I've got a great deal of motor boating experience but am just starting out in the world of sail. I'm going to have a look at a Seadrift this weekend as it's owner fancies exchanging it for my present boat.

Haven't been able to find out a great deal about the boats. Look quite ugly but solid. Lots of freeboard and a good cockpit. My 6 year old daughter is pestering me to get a boat we could sleep in and this looks like the sort of boat which could be a decent starter cruiser. I'll be using a drying mooring and pottering around coastal Anglesey.

Thanks!

Looked at one last year.

IMO, the mast is just for show.
It looks like a motorboat, heavily built & would be OK on the west coast, but would sail like a brick. Will take ground & safe protected cockpit, so ok perhaps with a 6 y.o.

Moelfre

Visit site
Had a quick glance earlier today. Sailing rig looks quite small for the weight and shape of the boat. Boat seems to have a solid, displacement hull and I'd imagine it handles well under motor power. To that end, it might be a decent choice for me as I make the transition from power to sail. What I mean by that is that I might not be as apprehensive knowing that there's a decent engine to back me up.

Not made my mind up though.

alant

Visit site
Had a quick glance earlier today. Sailing rig looks quite small for the weight and shape of the boat. Boat seems to have a solid, displacement hull and I'd imagine it handles well under motor power. To that end, it might be a decent choice for me as I make the transition from power to sail. What I mean by that is that I might not be as apprehensive knowing that there's a decent engine to back me up.

Not made my mind up though.

They are probably Ok under power, heavy build so can take any punishment, but that rig won't move it unless F10, so unlikely to get much sailing experience. Great dayboat to fish off.

David Pearn

Visit site
Hi

Thanks!
What would you like to know. I used to build the Sea drift 20ft motor sailer

steve leech

Visit site
Hi David,
I've had a sea drift 20 for about a year now, amazing to think you probably built it all those years ago. I presume it's from the 1970's/1980's.
I am looking for a bit of information, if your still on the forum, because I will be replacing the cutlass bearing this winter.

Do you know what type of stern tubes were used on these? I don't know that much about them but don't some of them have a removable part so you can take it away and do the cutlass bearing on the bench while other types have to be done in-situ.

By the by, the boat is alive and well on the Wirral and now has a yanmar 1gm10 engine.

all the best.