Sea Trader 44

ironmaiden

Visit site
Hi all,

I have more then a passing interest in a boat that is for sale, it's a Sea Trader 44, built in Durban by E S Barons Ship Builders.
They are no longer in existence but there seems to be no info available about this boat, I can't find anything on the internet, so,
are there any knowledgeable folk out there that know anything about these boats.
are they good bad or in different.

I want it for a long term cruising boat, It appears to my all my needs from the photo's but I need a lot more info before I even go and see the thing.
(maybe lack of info speaks volumes)
All input would welcomed.

Kindest regards Rachel

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Hi all,

I have more then a passing interest in a boat that is for sale, it's a Sea Trader 44, built in Durban by E S Barons Ship Builders.
They are no longer in existence but there seems to be no info available about this boat, I can't find anything on the internet, so,
are there any knowledgeable folk out there that know anything about these boats.

I want it for a long term cruising boat, It appears to my all my needs from the photo's but I need a lot more info before I even go and see the thing.

Kindest regards Rachel

Hi Rachel. You might get more reponses to your question in Scuttlebutt or Practical Boat Owner.

Just a thought.

Richard

ilduc944

Visit site
Hi all,

Kindest regards Rachel

Hi is the boat Concorde at Brighton?

Jock89

Visit site
Hi there Rachel,
That is 1 good-looking yacht, so I'm not surprised you're very interested. Possibly a William Garden design.? All his sailing yachts are gorgeous.

I don't know the Sea Trader but I lived in Durban & I used to work for Dorbyl in the same area that she was built in during the 1970's & was aware of the name Barens at the time, but I never had any dealings with them. I don't think they turned out yachts in very large numbers at all.
I did however have a friend in Durb's around 1976 that had just taken delivery of his new yacht which was a Barens 43, (different model from yours) & it was absolutely beautiful & very well built. They HAVE to be, for the Indian Ocean.! He subsequently cruised her from Durban to Mauritius regularly.

If the VAT has been paid on this boat I would say to you....get more photo's, a lot more photo's.! Make the Broker do some work for his commission. Then, bearing in mind that all older yachts need to have money spent on them, do go & have a look yourself.
I bought my Nicholson 38 a few years ago but if I'd seen the Sea Trader for sale around the same time I'd definitely have gone for a look, & while on board or if the Owner is on board with the broker, ask to see the maintenance logbook. That'll tell you how much has been spent on her & how recently, & how keen the PO was on keeping her in good shape, & thus, how much you're liable to have to spend on her to put her into good condition again. The deck looks to be not too old.?
If you're still keen on her, then think about a Surveyor. It will cost you probably at least £5-600 for that size of yacht but if any major hidden problems arise later, that he missed, his Professional Indemnity should give you some recourse, otherwise you'll have none.

Let us know how you get on.
Jeff

Last edited:

ilduc944

Visit site
Hi Rachel

If the yacht you're interested in is the one that has been identified in this thread (I don't imagine there are very many of them, especially in the UK) then I have viewed her myself and have some information that you might find useful. Let me know if it is the same yacht and I'll share what I know.

Dave.

carlos11165

Visit site
Hello, my name is Carlos, and i am interested in to buy that sailboat. Now the sea trader is in Gibraltar, please i would be very grateful if anybody may to give me information about the boat.
Sorry my english language is not so good.
A round of pints for everyone!!
Thanks in advanced:confused:

carlos11165

Visit site
Hello, my name is Carlos and i am interested in to buy it. Now the sailboat is in Gibraltar for sell, and i would be very grateful if anyboby may to give me any information about the sailboat.
Sorry my english language is not so good.
A round of pints for everyone!!
Thanks in advanced

jack tar

Visit site
Hi Dave having looked at the boat personally was there anything that would or did put you off her I only ask as I'm trying to find out before I decide to go to view the boats now in Gibraltar and according to the boat shed agents the vat is paid but there's no CE mark not really sure if that's a major problem any information would be gratefully appreciated

Tranona

Visit site
Hi Dave having looked at the boat personally was there anything that would or did put you off her I only ask as I'm trying to find out before I decide to go to view the boats now in Gibraltar and according to the boat shed agents the vat is paid but there's no CE mark not really sure if that's a major problem any information would be gratefully appreciated

Be very wary of buying a boat in Gibraltar as it is outside the EU VAT zone. If the boat has already changed hands outside the EU any previous VAT status is not valid and you will need to pay VAT if you bring it into the EU. Similarly, as the boat was not built in the EEA you can only avoid the RCD if you can prove it was in the EEA in 1998.

You need to get a full history of the boat and its ownership before you buy it. The devil is in the detail and do not take the sellers word as to status. Do your own checks.

tractor

Visit site
Hi all,
Can anyone share further specifications on these Sea Trader 44's? I cannot find anything of use online, aside from sales advertisements that are usually quite bare-bone (and possibly biased).
Thanks,
T

Other threads that may be of interest