Sea law concerning flag state

Refueler

Visit site
I don’t know about Germany, but in the UK Cat owners are not liable for the actions of their Cats (as free agents) but are legally responsible for the actions of Dogs.
You could claim innocence of any ganga the cat brought onboard, but you’d cop it if the dog did the same.

Think many of the aspects may have been lost as Dog Licences in UK were stopped years ago ...

Its why hitting a dog with your car - you were required by law to report. But because cats were not licenced - no need to report. That is no longer case.

kingsebi

Visit site
In most European countries, there's a big difference in having a roll or two for personal use, than having a larger quantity which would be treated very differently. Here in Portugal, smoking joints is allowed and even in the UK small quantities can be dealt with by cop on the street.
In Austria three friends were “busted” with one joint and had to pay a fine and undergo periodic drug testing for half a year. That was almost twenty years ago but still. I am with little sister. Depending on the cop it can be a big risk

kingsebi

Visit site
Think many of the aspects may have been lost as Dog Licences in UK were stopped years ago ...

Its why hitting a dog with your car - you were required by law to report. But because cats were not licenced - no need to report. That is no longer case.
This was the same in Austria and Germany. I don’t know if they also changed it

kingsebi

Visit site
In most European countries, there's a big difference in having a roll or two for personal use, than having a larger quantity which would be treated very differently. Here in Portugal, smoking joints is allowed and even in the UK small quantities can be dealt with by cop on the street.
Of course you won’t go to jail for a roll. Bigger quantities means you will be considered a drug dealer and face serious consequences. But I also heard of people in Spain getting busted for little quantities in the streets, taken to the police station, facing abuse/torture and “never being the same after that”.

PS: And on a boat I would assume that it’s even more delicate because of the smuggling/trafficking aspect.

Wansworth

Visit site
Of course you won’t go to jail for a roll. Bigger quantities means you will be considered a drug dealer and face serious consequences. But I also heard of people in Spain getting busted for little quantities in the streets, taken to the police station, facing abuse/torture and “never being the same after that”.
Not recently😳

Refueler

Visit site
Is it a sign of todays society that we ask such questions ??

Would it not be sensible to assume carriage of any narcotic is liable to trouble with authorities ?

Lets put it another way .... we talk about Drunk Driving .. boats / cars etc - but in fact the 'offence' is 'Under the influence' ..... it is not just alcohol.

kingsebi

Visit site
Is it a sign of todays society that we ask such questions ??

Would it not be sensible to assume carriage of any narcotic is liable to trouble with authorities ?

Lets put it another way .... we talk about Drunk Driving .. boats / cars etc - but in fact the 'offence' is 'Under the influence' ..... it is not just alcohol.
You are right. The original question was another one though: In Germany the carriage of up to 25 grams of marijuana is legal now and my question was if my boat falls under the German law.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
On the subject of flag state, when not in the country of your flag state, you are expected to fly a courtesy flag, which is the maritime flag of the country you are visiting. The RYA has the following advice ...

There is no legal requirement to fly a courtesy flag; it is a courtesy that acknowledges that the vessel will respect the laws and sovereignty of that country. However, if one is not flown or it is tatty or faded, it may cause grave offence and in some countries can lead to a fine.
Flag etiquette | RYA

It is generally very inadvisable to flaunt the local laws when travelling abroad, and being on a recreational craft from a foreign country while doing so is unlikely to win any friends - especially with the current tourist backlash in southern Europe.

kingsebi

Visit site
On the subject of flag state, when not in the country of your flag state, you are expected to fly a courtesy flag, which is the maritime flag of the country you are visiting. The RYA has the following advice ...

Flag etiquette | RYA

It is generally very inadvisable to flaunt the local laws when travelling abroad, and being on a recreational craft from a foreign country while doing so is unlikely to win any friends - especially with the current tourist backlash in southern Europe.
That is my thinking as well. As a visitor in another country you respect their laws and regulations. If you don’t like it you can always leave.

And sail to Jamaica.

Refueler

Visit site
[Deleted quoted content removed]

It really depends on which side pf the fence you sit ... as 'user' or 'observer' ...........

Sorry but my experience of being given a 'black russian' joint many years ago showed me absolutely without any doubt - the effect it had on me ... It was as if I was totally drunk ... I mean to the point of stupefaction ....

So forgive me if I have no sympathy for users and consequences if they choose to contravene laws of countries they visit.

I was a 'smoker' ... a SERIOUS smoker of average 60 cigs a day .... when people say that 'joint' smoking is similar to tobacco ... I know 101% that is total BS.
Tobacco smoking does not interfere or affect persons actions as Cannabis does ...

Last edited by a moderator:

kingsebi

Visit site
It really depends on which side pf the fence you sit ... as 'user' or 'observer' ...........

Sorry but my experience of being given a 'black russian' joint many years ago showed me absolutely without any doubt - the effect it had on me ... It was as if I was totally drunk ... I mean to the point of stupefaction ....

So forgive me if I have no sympathy for users and consequences if they choose to contravene laws of countries they visit.

I was a 'smoker' ... a SERIOUS smoker of average 60 cigs a day .... when people say that 'joint' smoking is similar to tobacco ... I know 101% that is total BS.
Tobacco smoking does not interfere or affect persons actions as Cannabis does ...
I agree that smoking tobacco and marijuana has nothing in common. Marijuana makes you high, tobacco doesn't.

About your smoking experience: There are a great many different varieties and strengths of marijuana and of course tolerance plays a big role as with any drug or medicine. What happened to you has happened to my cat (and many other cats) as well on occasion. But you can have other effects too.

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I agree that smoking tobacco and marijuana has nothing in common. Marijuana makes you high, tobacco doesn't.

About your smoking experience: There are a great many different varieties and strengths of marijuana and of course tolerance plays a big role as with any drug or medicine. What happened to you has happened to me (and many other people) as well on occasion. But you can have other effects too.
You mean, "it happened to my cat"!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Of course you won’t go to jail for a roll. . . .

I don't know if that's true. There's a world of difference between a citizen/resident of a country found in possession of a small amount (which will be assumed to have been acquired locally), and a foreign 'alien' found to have smuggled prohibited drugs into the country, which will presumably at least potentially be treated far more seriously regardless of the amount (and in most countries, including UK, could involve you losing your boat).

Even if you don't end up in jail after a conviction, you might well spend an inconvenient and unpleasant time in police custody while they decide what to do with you, and/or dismantling your boat to see if you have any more hidden away.

(As people will know in relation to other matters, how a country laws and regulations are applied to visitors on boats are not uniform, and can vary wildly according to local interpretation of laws, individual officers and their moods/pressures etc., and not least the attitude of the 'suspect' visitor. A cop in most big, cosmopolitan European cities might come across someone with a joint numerous times daily, and regard it as less of an issue than littering. An official in some out of the way small coastal town in a rural area might see it as a opportunity to get their name in the local papers and favourably noticed by their boss/local politicians.)

I am not advising anybody to do anything. I don't have useful experience in these matters, and am only cautioning people to not assume that just becasue they will be treated leniently in some other circumstance, it will always be the same as a visiting yacht owner.

Last edited:

kingsebi

Visit site
I don't know if that's true. There's a world of difference between a citizen/resident of a country found in possession of a small amount (which will be assumed to have been acquired locally), and a foreign 'alien' found to have smuggled prohibited drugs into the country, which will presumably at least potentially be treated far more seriously regardless of the amount (and in most countries, including UK, could involve you losing your boat).

Even if you don't end up in jail after a conviction, you might well spend an inconvenient and unpleasant time in police custody while they decide what to do with you, and/or dismantling your boat to see if you have any more hidden away.

(As people will know in relation to other matters, how a country laws and regulations are applied to visitors on boats are not uniform, and can vary wildly according to local interpretation of laws, individual officers and their moods/pressures etc., and not least the attitude of the 'suspect' visitor. A cop in most big, cosmopolitan European cities might come across someone with a joint numerous times daily, and regard it as less of an issue than littering. An official in some out of the way small coastal town in a rural area might see it as a opportunity to get their name in the local papers and favourably noticed by their boss/local politicians.)

I am not advising anybody to do anything. I don't have useful experience in these matters, and am only cautioning people to not assume that just becasue they will be treated leniently in some other circumstance, will always be the same as a visiting yacht owner.
I agree. In the quote I was talking about the streets. As you say on a boat in a foreign country it’s different. On a boat and especially in a foreign country you are very vulnerable.

PS: On the streets I can outrun a cop. Not possible with a sailboat.