Sea berths

Sea Change

Visit site
Ideally, I prefer boats where there are good settee berths on either side, right at the centre of motion.
But in many modern AWBs this isn't an option, due to linear galleys and/or circular seating plans.
In these designs, I presume the aft cabins become the sea berths.

Just how bad is this likely to be? In our centre cockpit boat, the transverse aft berth was right above the steering gear and then motion and noise made it a hopeless place to sleep while under way. But perhaps these problems don't apply on an aft cockpit AWB?

Tranona

Visit site
On my old Bavaria the main saloon settee was square ended and I used that as a seaberth. In the twin aft cabins the mattress was split down the middle and I rigged a lee cloth in the gap. My crew used those as seaberths, one in each cabin. Under sail they are fine but not so good under motor as the engine is right next to your head! Motion is OK. but at anchor it can be noisy from waves slapping under the sugar scoop. Much better on my second one as no sugar scoop, but noisy autopilot motor. Again the saloon settee was very good particularly as it had an extension out to the fixed table making it a partly enclosed 4' wide "pit".

None of this is ideal, but folks seem to find a compromise - hopefully more will come along and explain how they cope.

Aja

Visit site
Ideally, I prefer boats where there are good settee berths on either side, right at the centre of motion.
But in many modern AWBs this isn't an option, due to linear galleys and/or circular seating plans.
In these designs, I presume the aft cabins become the sea berths.

Just how bad is this likely to be? In our centre cockpit boat, the transverse aft berth was right above the steering gear and then motion and noise made it a hopeless place to sleep while under way. But perhaps these problems don't apply on an aft cockpit AWB?
I've often found the floor is the best option. Place a berth cushion in an appropriate place out of the way and it can be moved if you have to tack.

dunedin

Visit site
At risk of going down a wormhole, I think linear galleys in the saloon (as opposed to passageway to rear cabin) are optimised for boats which generally do day sails and cook in harbour/ at anchor. Which to be honest is what most people do. But I didn't want one for longer passages.
Stern cabins do tend to work well at sea, and can wedge on either side. But do get more noise from winching - or if two crew on deck overnight who chat the whole time!

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
This thread is close to my heart as I’m due to do a 500 mile ocean passage on a Halberg Rassey 48 in the next week or two. Halberg Rassey’s have a great reputation as strong sea boats and I didn’t think about it, until I saw the layout. There appear to be precious few sea berths. There’s going to be four of us on board and I am really not convinced that there are three adequate sea berths, for 3 to sleep off watch while one is on watch.

I believe this is the layout of the boat I’m working on;
IMG_6738.jpeg
Assuming the forepeak is tenable I suppose one in the forecabin, one in the forepeak and one in the saloon. The suite aft doesn’t look possible? But the arrangement means hotbunking. I’m not a fan.

I agree with Seachange. Settee berths in the middle of the boat with good Lee cloths or boards make a lot of sense.

flaming

Visit site
This thread is close to my heart as I’m due to do a 500 mile ocean passage on a Halberg Rassey 48 in the next week or two. Halberg Rassey’s have a great reputation as strong sea boats and I didn’t think about it, until I saw the layout. There appear to be precious few sea berths. There’s going to be four of us on board and I am really not convinced that there are three adequate sea berths, for 3 to sleep off watch while one is on watch.

View attachment 183438
Assuming the forepeak is tenable I suppose one in the forecabin, one in the forepeak and one in the saloon. The suite aft doesn’t look possible? But the arrangement means hotbunking. I’m not a fan.

I agree with Seachange. Settee berths in the middle of the boat with good Lee cloths or boards make a lot of sense.
Aft cabin quite possible if rigged with lee cloths. You end up with one either side and one down the middle of the split matress. Depends on how the boat is set up though.

But isn't that a bunk berth in the forecabin? Should be 2 sea berths there right?

Reactions: jac

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
By definition, an aft cabin is going to be close to the steering gear. Mine has a lateral double so on passage I can lay either way round, but the opportunities are few and far between as I mostly sail solo. The saloon bench seat is on the Port side so great for snoozing on starboard tack and I can wedge the bench backrest between me and the dining table if on port tack.

CC33-Plan.jpg

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site

View attachment 183438

I dare say you’ll sort something out while you are slumming it. Some HRs have an option of either two settees in the saloon or one settee and two chairs as in your illustration. I’m never quite sure how people manage with an island double in the aft cabin but maybe it’s possible. I have slept in the forecabin on passage on occasion, but only in calm conditions when the distance from the engine makes it quite comfortable.

An advantage of a saloon berth is that you are within easy earshot of the rest of the boat and also you are in the best position shoulD an emergency arise.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I dare say you’ll sort something out while you are slumming it. Some HRs have an option of either two settees in the saloon or one settee and two chairs as in your illustration. I’m never quite sure how people manage with an island double in the aft cabin but maybe it’s possible. I have slept in the forecabin on passage on occasion, but only in calm conditions when the distance from the engine makes it quite comfortable.

An advantage of a saloon berth is that you are within easy earshot of the rest of the boat and also you are in the best position shoulD an emergency arise.
Sorry to Rob for drifting the thread with my potential woes, but I don't think it's going to be that calm. The plan is to tick the box for the owner and crew to do a 500 mile passage to enable them to take part in the ARC in November. The boat is in Gran Canaria and it's going to be 250 miles out into the Atlantic and 250 miles back again. Personally I'm sceptical that this counts as a 500 mile passage but the owners checked with the ARC organisers and they say they're happy with the plan. 250 miles of close reaching out into the Atlantic, tack and 250 miles back again. What fun. At least I'm getting paid to do it.

johnalison

Visit site
Sorry to Rob for drifting the thread with my potential woes, but I don't think it's going to be that calm. The plan is to tick the box for the owner and crew to do a 500 mile passage to enable them to take part in the ARC in November. The boat is in Gran Canaria and it's going to be 250 miles out into the Atlantic and 250 miles back again. Personally I'm sceptical that this counts as a 500 mile passage but the owners checked with the ARC organisers and they say they're happy with the plan. 250 miles of close reaching out into the Atlantic, tack and 250 miles back again. What fun. At least I'm getting paid to do it.
It’s a hard life, but somebody has to do it.

Alicatt

Visit site
The aft cabin:
155125101gallery_wm.jpg
The mooring bollard is right above the port bunk, it took a few days to get used to the creak of the braided mooring lines as the boat moved
At least I was sleeping on top of the 100 gallon water tank while the wife is on top of the 100gallon aux diesel tank ;)
Oh and those mattrasses are super comfortable,

The midships double bunk is a pull out from the saloon seats
155125085gallery_wm.jpg
No pic of it as the mattrass is missing and the previous owner stored his engine spares in there.

Forward berths, not tried these yet but they have the same matrass as in the aft cabin so should be good
155125107gallery_wm.jpg

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Where the Conqubin 38 has been designed for cruiser / racing ... it has the side bench berths in main cabin .. double under cockpit that really is two singles with a filler aft centre ... typical vee berth fwd.

The main cabin berths have boards that provide back-rests in port ... but can slot into mounts either end to create lee boards ...

Bw5mbP4.jpg

Look closely just either side of that doorway - you can see the mountings for the boards ...