Scunthorpe

Visit site
I\'ll remove the above in time....

.. for the kids coming home.

It just proves though that there are always ways around the censor.

Real problem is the MOTIVES of the censor?

Obscenity -Approve.

Political - Dissapprove.

Commercial - Dissapprove but sympathise with trying to keep one's customers sweet!

Above, I STRESS, are my personal opinions only and surely so are ALL postings by individuals here?

Steve Cronin

brian_neale

Visit site
I can remember coming across the word in question in a very old book on knots and whippings in a library once, where they talked about the ****line being the gap between the strands of a laid rope, as in "insert marlin spike into ****line to separate strands". Perhaps that's how a rope gets laid...

Seriously, though, the word in this compound form was used in the book several times, and I wonder when it fell into disuse (not having seen it in any RYA training manuals).

G

Re: Is Thor rude then? nm

Only if it had a N on the end of it!
and tha come from Lancashire

G

Re: Scunthorpe II

Now Now dont be getting to funny (gov) ! I thought you was the moderater who pulled the plug on this kind of thing!

Or is it IPC are moderating?
Smile:)

G

Re: Yes! and H*rp (nm)

I suppose it could be if it contained E EEs

G

I think the c-word as it relates to knots turns up in Patrick O'Brian's books as a c*** splice.

For what that's worth.

peterb

Visit site
Re: Cutsplice

I learnt that splice as a 'cutsplice'. It was only on reading Patrick O'Brian that I realised that there is a certain similarity of shape.....

G

Re: Cutsplice

Incidentally, I wonder whether if Scuttlebutters from Scunthorpe are welcome, how about their brothers and sisters in various Dorset villages with the suffix -piddle?