Scrubbing - Plymouth

G12

Visit site
Hi guys,

I should soon find myself in Plymouth weather permitting and could do with scrubbing off some slime that has built up. Can anyone recommend somewhere to go and dry out for a tide? I've been there quite a few times but not really familiar with the drying out spots.

Thanks

Mike_Cornwall

Visit site
Hi guys,

I should soon find myself in Plymouth weather permitting and could do with scrubbing off some slime that has built up. Can anyone recommend somewhere to go and dry out for a tide? I've been there quite a few times but not really familiar with the drying out spots.

Thanks
Hi, if you travel up the Tamar there is a solid shingle beach that dries out right opposite the dockyard just past the Torpoint Ferries. Lat 50.3766 Long -4.1054.
Alternatively, you could always give Torpoint Mosquito Sailing Club a call as they have a area in front of their club which is used by members.
Regards, Mike

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
There is one just past the yacht haven on the right it is in the control of PYH and they started to make it difficult to access, if it is still accessible use the stone wall on the right hand side not the left hand side concrete wharf.
This was 8 or 10 years ago, locals will know better but I used to use it often when I was at PYH. It wouldn't surprise me if they now charge, you could try ringing them, I think the last time I used it I had to book.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I'm at Millbay and have been looking at the wall between Clyde Quay and Trinity Pier as it dries on a spring. Going to make a few discrete enquiries over the next few months.

doug748

Visit site
There are few places really satisfactory since the scrubbing post went in the Yealm. They had flat water, no commercial traffic, a clean bottom, were free and had few passing nut cases; these five things are the main problems within the Sound

Turnchapel is not bad, as mentioned above, but I also think PYH charge, at least for visitors.
QAB have space to dry alongside their wall, and this has good shelter though again not free. I think Mayflower have a spot but I have never used it and am a bit hazy about it's situation.

You can go alongside the wall beside the slip at Oreston, for free, in suitable tides but there is the danger of traffic as you settle, ditto the wall in front of the Mount Batten Centre and the wall beside the Torpoint Mosquito Club, and others on the Tamar.
Huggins and Voyager Yard at Millbrook have places, for a charge, but are a bit of a fiddle. I have dried out at Carbeile Wharf Torpoint, nice and sheltered but tricky to get in and I was not thrilled by the charges.

I am sure there is a perfect spot hidden in some neglected place - it you find it let us know ;-)

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
As it looks like most places will charge and some have "difficulties" I would recommend as my 1st post says Turnchapel. It is easy to access and has a pub on its doorstep, If PYH open the gates to the wharf ( left hand side ) then there is water also but I was only ever able to use that side twice in the mid 90s. The stone quay opposite serves very well though.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Hi, if you travel up the Tamar there is a solid shingle beach that dries out right opposite the dockyard just past the Torpoint Ferries. Lat 50.3766 Long -4.1054.
Alternatively, you could always give Torpoint Mosquito Sailing Club a call as they have a area in front of their club which is used by members.
Regards, Mike

TMSC's membership fees are very reasonable - not much more than the 'going rate' for using harbour authority/commercial scrubbing posts for a tide. Power,water, beer and food easily available too...

Nikia

Visit site
As it looks like most places will charge and some have "difficulties" I would recommend as my 1st post says Turnchapel. It is easy to access and has a pub on its doorstep, If PYH open the gates to the wharf ( left hand side ) then there is water also but I was only ever able to use that side twice in the mid 90s. The stone quay opposite serves very well though.

The stone quay opposite has now been sold to the house that sits on it, and they are very protective of it!
The concrete pier on the left is owned by PYH and you can dry out there if you book, nominal fee, used to be £1 per metre.