Scilly’s stopover question

Fascadale

Visit site
We are planning a Biscay crossing south from the East Coast of Ireland.

There is the possibility of stopping in the Scillies for a full nights sleep, and maybe a run ashore for a pint

Where is the easiest place to stop? A sheltered mooring would very good. A sheltered mooring with a water taxi even better.

Suggestions please ?

TSB240

Visit site
New Grimsby or Old Grimsby have good moorings but no water Taxis to Tresco. Pubs at either.
Easiest entry is from the North.

awol

Visit site
Doesn't popping into the Scillies mess up your duty free situation assuming you're stocking up before you leave and needs a C1331 for onward drifting. Stocking up in Scotland is fine for travel to Ireland (no C1331 needed!). Will you be back for Xmas drinks?

owen

Visit site
No truly sheltered moorings/anchorages in the scillies. It all depends on the wind direction. St Marys moorings are secure but there will be no nights sleep if the wind is wrong.
It used to be possible to pay the harbour master to ferry you on and off the boat in St Marys.

Fascadale

Visit site
Doesn't popping into the Scillies mess up your duty free situation assuming you're stocking up before you leave and needs a C1331 for onward drifting. Stocking up in Scotland is fine for travel to Ireland (no C1331 needed!). Will you be back for Xmas drinks?

It seems no form filling required to get from Scotland to Noriron , then no paperwork to get from there to ROI, but I’m sure I have got it wrong

Perhaps the Christmas drinks in the WIs this year? Time for a change in venue?

Fascadale

Visit site
You are right but if you pass through the Scillies which appear to be part of Englandshire then the full bureaucratic rigmarole kicks off and any advantage is lost.

What a good point: I had overlooked that: another blow too the UK tourist industry if I bypass those islands and take my spending straight to Spain

doug748

Visit site
If it's a laid back trip, it would be a shame to miss the Scillies which are special, even compared to other Biscay islands. As TSB240 has said, probably best to enter from the North and spend an some time in St Martins where there is a pub, later you could press on to St Marys and leave via the Bishop Rock passage which is deep water. It would be unwise to travel between the islands unless you are aware of the tide, alert and visibility is good. Two nights is probably more practical. There are buoys in both places but you can't rely on getting one at peak times
Have a filled in part 2 form 1331 on board in case anyone asks you about it, which is doubtful.

RobF

Visit site
New Grimsby has less swell and a better view (in my opinion), so that would get my vote (assuming you're looking to pick up a mooring). As others have noted, there isn't a water taxi so you'll need to pump up the dinghy.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Tactically I would not want to give up any westing by going east of south to scilly .
Nor ever ever waste a fine settled forecast.
Sorry
( been across Biscay three times only but each was … different )

ColinR

www.victoriashadow.co.uk
I've stopped in New Grimsby a few times to and from SW Ireland. If the wind is blowing the right way its easy access and you can set a course for Ireland as soon as you are out of the harbour. If you go to St Mary's you've got a lot of complicated islands and rocks to get round.

[3889]

Visit site
If the tides serve you can lay alongside the quay with 2m draft in Hugh Town and get 4 hours ⚡️at a very reasonable rate. Might need a nominated helmsman to return to your anchorage/mooring after a 'hearty meal'.

chris-s

Visit site
New Grimsby has less swell and a better view (in my opinion), so that would get my vote (assuming you're looking to pick up a mooring). As others have noted, there isn't a water taxi so you'll need to pump up the dinghy.

Not last night! It felt like we were going to get dismasted at any moment. The wind laid all the boats side on to the incoming swell.

jdc

Visit site
When last there (last BH, and setting off again tomorrow, d.v.) at least 3 French boats arrived direct, flew no Q flag and seemed not to tell anybody (who would one tell on St Agnes?) but still got a drink in the Turk's head. In my opinion, that's as it should be.

Lots af places to anchor, but as noted before choose the best places according to wind direction. Several, places with moorings, but, tbh, why choose a mooring which involves the faff of finding someone to pay? Holding is generally good and anchoring the norm, except perhaps in New Grimsby - which is rather uncomfortable if there's any N in the wind, as Chris-s noted above.

andy59

Visit site
Just to note only the inside electricity tower is working at the moment, porthcressa like a millpond today

Attachments

• 58234552-15FB-470D-B63A-7AC0A7B1099E.jpeg
    58234552-15FB-470D-B63A-7AC0A7B1099E.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 16