Schools - Crap rule of the day

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Hey, I'm on a role this week. Here we go:-

Son and heir to PeteM fortune (7 years old) has got a painful bit of excema on the back of his hands and below his lips. Mrs PeteM (aka SWMBO) dashed off to the nearest chemist to purchase E45 cream (non prescription). Takes E45 to (otherwise sound) school and guess what they told her? School not allowed to apply cream to son. Son not allowed to apply cream to himself. Their suggestion, my wife should go down to the school every time he needs some cream and apply it to boy herself.

Bunch of arse, that's what I say.

BarryH

Visit site
Thats because we live in a Blame Culture. We had the same with the daughter, won't give her antibiotics for fear of overdose etc. I said well if the friggin' teachers or nurse can't read the friggin' label on the bottle, what the friggin' hell are they doing teaching the kids to read!! Answer from them "Its School policy".

Well sorry, It says in the school charter that they are responsible for the kids well being and saftey while in school, Surely medicines are adminstered for the kids "well being"

jfm

Visit site
I'm a school governor and we have adopted the same policy. Sorry, but the risk of being sued if E45 was the wrong stuff, or for some other reason, means we cannot allow school staff to administer medical stuff. We cannot get sensible insurance against this risk. I understand how narked you feel, but what is a school governor (with unlimited liabilty in some circumstances) supposed to do? If you had personal liability in the event of an E45 cock up, would you allow teachers to administer it?

I'm not saying you, Petem, would sue. But unfortunately governors cant tell difference between litigious parents and sensible parents.....

Special rules apply to heavy weight medication eg asthma, diabetes related stuff. The law is different for life-or-death medicines, and schools will normally administer this medication, ours does.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
They sent use a letter, long time ago. Kids now 28'ish.
" wE ARE NOT RESPONCIBLE AT DINNER TIMES." " THEY ARE NOT ALOUD TO GO THE THE CHIP SHOP, oR ANY OTHER SHOP AT DINNER TIME. i TALKED TO MY SON.He said. I'm on the third sitting at schhool and there is nothing to eat. So I said ASK my son what he wants to do for school dinners. To cut a long story short. They went to the cattle auction for a superb meal for all of twenty nine pence. Including a pudding. Made scool dinners look exobitant. BUT THERE NOT RESPONCIBLE. My wife Tutts is not responcible either. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue>
No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer<font color=blue>

Haydn

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Then should not be school govenor. Or else a wanker. Stop being school govenor if not apply. Put your heart where your mouth is.

<font color=blue>
No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer<font color=blue>

Haydn

ChrisP

Visit site
I say. steady on old chap. Christmas spirit and all that.

Somebody has to do it otherwise it would be down to me. I would have to kill off at least 3 generations of the little bas***ds all in the name of humanity towards parents.

Schools would be great places without the kids. Ask any teacher.

ChrisP ;o)))))

What do you mean the sea gull in front's walking !!!

claymore

Visit site
Where there\'s blame - there\'s a claim

If we had managed to avoid this prevailing culture - schools and others would not have to appear unreasonable or irresponsible.
As it is - we do have this culture - part of the microwave world of instant gratification where the making of a fast buck at the expense of principles and values concerned with decency is all that matters to some.
No good blaming schools - no good having a go at Governors who have responsibility without authority invested in them. This is not the world we grew up in, where our little heads were daubed in gentian violet and first aid boxes were allowed to be stocked with potions pills and lotions.

regards
Claymore

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Re: Where there\'s blame - there\'s a claim

I don't have kids, but how do they get on at boarding school then? Does Mummy have to drive down from town every time the little darling gets a sniff?

John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

jfm

Visit site

Boarding schools invariably pay private doctors/nurses to administer heavy stuff. It's doubtful whether non-private school governors can meet or justify the cost. They may also pay significant insurance, I dont know. Also some boarding schools have contractual terms/indemnities that reduce risk of litigation. Day schools could try to do the same but for legal reasons these are of somewhat doubtful enforceablilty for a day pupil, whereas for a boarder they are legally more secure.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk

Sad but true, I'm afraid. There's a similar problem for many employers, who get a letter from a solicitor every time somebody bruises their thumb opening a filing cabinet. Unfortunately, it's cheaper to make nuisance payment in settlement than to fight it through the courts. This then prompts copycat claims and so the vicious circle continues. It also diverts effort and attention from the few really bad employers with dangerous work practices, cost-cutting skimping on essential safety work etc. And it puts all our insurance premia up.

I'm not sure whether risk-averseness or the compensation culture came first but they've both been fuelled by "no win, no fee" legal deals, and, even though I'm a wimpy pinko leftie, they both suck, imho.

G

Where's the school matron or nurse (even if part time, or part teacher), or medically qualified teacher who can take lessons on hygiene and first aid?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
The thing is. You cant any longer have anyone responcible. Else you can sue them cos they should have known better. New system is. No ones in charge of anything so not responcible, cos they darnt.

<font color=blue>

Haydn

rich

www.portofjersey.je
sent daughter to school with bottle of antibiotic medicine, clearly labelled "take one spoonful at lunchtime" bottle came back, no medicine taken. asked teacher what happened - she said we must have note in writing from parent , signed, dated etc to allow permission to give a spoonful - what are we coming to?

rich :))