Scary thought

Lightwave395

Me in Cowes, the boat back in UK now at St Mawes
Visit site
I'm refurbishing a Lark sailing dinghy to get my grandchildren out on the water this summer holiday period, it's a few years old and I stripped off most of the blocks and fittings which were grubby at best and with some surface corrosion at worst. Got the Autosol out and it became a tedious process so I bought a 2 litre bottle of coca cola then dropped the whole lot into a bowl of it, from which 24 hours later they emerged bright and shiny looking like new !

And people drink that stuff ?

Last edited:

crewman

Visit site
I heard an interview on R4 years ago with a man who ran whisky tastings for the Malt Whisky Society. Most common question asked was "What water should I add to the whisky, tap or bottled". His response was that it depended on your tap water and when running these events he spent more time tasting the local tap water than the whiskies he was demonstrating!

Minerva

Visit site
You don't drink enough good malt whisky, you savour it by drinking, think sipping, it slowly.
Whilst I broadly agree with your sentiment - given the right company and the right setting, I’ve seen us go through an awfy lot of the stuff in an evening before now!

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Drinking coke after surfing in dodgy water is commonplace amongst surfers as a reliable way of preventing stomach upsets. You could call it an old wive's tale, but if you take its effect on the metal you can see that it might work. I have been ill after swallowing water whilst doing the Severn Bore, the next time it happened I had a can of Coke after and was fine. Who knows? But it is a cheap and easy fix.

boomerangben

Visit site
Did a tour at Talisker earlier this year. At the tasting, they provide a pipette to add just three drops of water to each dram. Water of course is from the same source the distillery use.

Coke of course is a cleaning material and hangover cure if accompanied by a Burger King.