Scary thought

Gustywinds

Visit site
I used to think that, but now always add a drop or two.
Depends hugely on the whisky. Certain malts only release their full flavour with a little water, particularly really strong ones. Glenfarclas 105 is a prime example but some of the really peaty or smoky ones too ( try Port Charlotte by Bruichladdich)

Gustywinds

Visit site
Did a tour at Talisker earlier this year. At the tasting, they provide a pipette to add just three drops of water to each dram. Water of course is from the same source the distillery use.
Talisker is a whisky that improves with a little water, particularly Storm which is rather coarse otherwise.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Someone gave me a taste of their gin and coke the other night, after I expressed astonishment at what they were making. It was surprisingly acceptable.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Drinking coke after surfing in dodgy water is commonplace amongst surfers as a reliable way of preventing stomach upsets. You could call it an old wive's tale, but if you take its effect on the metal you can see that it might work. I have been ill after swallowing water whilst doing the Severn Bore, the next time it happened I had a can of Coke after and was fine. Who knows? But it is a cheap and easy fix.
Someone I knew died a few weeks after swallowing water from the Thames when he fell off his boat. Apparently complications due to tummy bugs.

philwebb

Visit site
Have you actually done that ? I seem to remember a short TV scene where that was shown to be false ... yes the Cola softened the enamel - but that was all.
Hi Refueler, yes I did it when my kids were in junior school. Luckily no-one asked where the teeth came from. (Anatomy department at the uni I was working at). The teeth completely dissolved overnight. The only thing that was left was a vague thin yellowish husk. That could have been the remains of the enamel. I guess the cadaver teeth had parts exposed not protected by the enamel.
I suppose you could try it yourself- ask your dentist for an extracted tooth.