Salcombe - visit or avoid ?

prv

Visit site
Has been pleasant enough when I've been there, but that's always been latish September since one of my sailing mates does a lot of his business during the summer and doesn't want to take time off.

Must admit I'm a bit concerned at some of the stories about the West Country in high summer.

Pete

PeterGibbs

Visit site
We have been discussing Salcombe in another topic.

Is Salcombe now irredeemably spoiled for visiting yachtsmen?

What is your opion?

When it's busy, the moorings are multi-occupation, and the restaurants are chokker. You can then admire the setting which is very pleasant - what else is there to do?

Off peak you get the setting and a better night's sleep and even a mouthful of grub ashore...

Don't pass Salcombe by, just chose your timing judiciously.

PWG

snowleopard

Visit site
I almost always pass Salcombe by. It's crowded to the extent of sometimes turning visitors away, any mooring in sight of the entrance is going to be bumpy and may be subjected to loud music till late at night and the town is nothing but boutiques selling pseudo yachty clothing.

It has the virtue of being pretty but hten so does Newton Ferrrers which we have also given up on because of shortage of moorings. (and it's even more pricey than Salcombe).

Go instead for the Dart, Tamar or Fal.

Seajet

Visit site
I agree with all the above, sadly; timing is everything; however if not bothered about going ashore, 'the bag' further to the North is still a good option, just keep an eye on the depth.

As for going ashore, my ( thankfully ex ) wife, a strident feminist, spotted an advert for a shoreside restaraunt, " we can assure you a pretty young thing will attend to your needs "

If one was able to harness the energy that provoked, it could easily put space shuttles into orbit...

Don't forget the more seamanlike snag of the bar; I've seen it in a bad mood when on a late September cruise, and didn't fancy it one bit !

yoda

Visit site
I think it depends on what you want and when you visit. Useless for buying food ashore and the pubs are expensive and packed at the weekend. Stay in the bag, cook your own and take a shower and beer on Egremont (Old Ferry and home of the Island Cruising Club). Beautiful views and great to see youngsters learning in a great environment.

Yoda

andrewfollett

Visit site
I cant believe whats been written about Salcombe. It remains perhaps THE prettiest harbour in the country. It rates alongside the best the world has to offer. You will ALWAYS be found a berth. Even during regatta at the peak of the summer season, you will usually be offered a night rafted up opposite town or a quiet spot further away in the bag. I usually choose to be rafted and enjoy the freindly nature of other sailors alongside. I dont think ive ever not had a choice. if you dont like company, anchorages are good also. The whole of our coast is busy. The solent, Poole, Weymouth, Torquay, Brixham, Dartmouth, yealm, etc etc Salcombe is no different from these. If you miss this harbour, frankly you might as well stay at home on your mud berth where its nice and quiet! Sorry folks!!
Sure town is busy during the summer holidays. Thats because the beaches are as close to Caribbean sands as youll find anywhere on the south coast. We always fill up with supplies and booze before arriving since the tiny stores are very expensive. Then again so is the Carribean. Town atmosphere is almost carnival like during the season. Its narrow streets fill with excitment and delight. PLease dont miss this GEM!

Andy ...Salcombe tourist information office. (sorry, only kidding)

Last edited:

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
I cant believe whats been written about Salcombe. It remains perhaps THE prettiest harbour in the country. It rates alongside the best the world has to offer. You will ALWAYS be found a berth. Even during regatta at the peak of the summer season, you will usually be offered a night rafted up opposite town or a quiet spot further away in the bag. I usually choose to be rafted and enjoy the freindly nature of other sailors alongside. I dont think ive ever not had a choice. if you dont like company, anchorages are good also. The whole of our coast is busy. The solent, Poole, Weymouth, Torquay, Brixham, Dartmouth, yealm, etc etc Salcombe is no different from these. If you miss this harbour, frankly you might as well stay at home on your mud berth where its nice and quiet! Sorry folks!!
Sure town is busy during the summer holidays. Thats because the beaches are as close to Caribbean sands as youll find anywhere on the south coast. We always fill up with supplies and booze before arriving since the tiny stores are very expensive. Then again so is the Carribean. Town atmosphere is almost carnival like during the season. Its narrow streets fill with excitment and delight. PLease dont miss this GEM!

Agree with all this. As for the comment regarding Harbour Masters, we have always found them helpful and jovial.

We intend spending quite a bit of time in Salcombe during the early summer, but are happy to stay onboard rather than fight for a table onshore. I love waking up early and watching the life on the water come alive. Fabulous place :)

Last edited:

andrewfollett

Visit site
Agree with all this. As for the comment regarding Harbour Masters, we have always found them helpful and jovial.

We intend spending quite a bit of time in Salcombe during the early summer, but are happy to stay inboard rather than fight for a table onshore. I love waking up early and watching the life on the water come alive. Fabulous place :)

Yes i agree about the Harbour Launches. A few years back on entering harbour my mate and i noticed a Big ship which had been wrecked and had broken its back on rocks to the East.
As the harbour launch approached we asked the moorings officer what the story was. 'Ahhh he said, that was back in the winter. Greek ship, weather was bad and she came in here seeking refuge...I told her how much for the night and she turned round went out and rammed herself up against the rocks instead!'
Priceless!
We went on to ask him where to berth. 'Do you like birds?' he asked 'yes' we certainly did..this was before we were married... 'Well' he said pointing to a french boat on a bouy ahead, 'park yourselves next to that one...2 pretty french birds on board!' My mate and I couldnt believe our luck. Great tip off we thought... As he turned his launch away he looked back over his shoulder laughing and shouted.....'At least i expect they was in their day!'

The laugh he gave us was worth every penny of the mooring fee. hes no longer there but the young lads on the launches are always freindly and helpful.

Last edited:

Sandgrounder

Visit site

Have you never been to the west Coast of Scotland? There are anchorages, maybe not harbours, that are avery bit as lovely. It's just a shame that your opinion seems welded to the chanel; and yes before you ask I have been to Salcombe and lovely it is.......but very crowded.

VicS

Visit site
Its sometime since I last visited either Salcombe or Dartmouth.

I'd not avoid either but I know to expect both to be pretty busy at the height of the season.

Getting ashore from the visitors moorings at Salcombe was a bit wet i seem remember if there was much of a breeze.

Nice to go way up the river from Dartmouth ... not actually keen on the town.

You have got to visit all these places. If you don't like what you find you don't go back a second time. Salcombe is a beautiful area.

andrewfollett

Visit site
Have you never been to the west Coast of Scotland? There are anchorages, maybe not harbours, that are avery bit as lovely. It's just a shame that your opinion seems welded to the chanel; and yes before you ask I have been to Salcombe and lovely it is.......but very crowded.

No ive never done Scotland. Im afraid i dont do rain, midgies, fog, rain, midgies and rain. Though im assured the scenery is STUNNING when you can see it!!
Im not welded to the channel. Ive no idea what gave you that impression. Ive done from Helgoland to N. Brittany including the Chanel isles, Scillys and N. France and S. Biscay, as well as cruising the Med from Lagos Portugal to Bodrum,Turkey. Florida, a bit in California. Scotland? NO.

Visit site
Ive done from Helgoland to N. Brittany including the Chanel isles, Scillys and N. France and S. Biscay, as well as cruising the Med from Lagos Portugal to Bodrum,Turkey. Florida, a bit in California. Scotland? NO.

In which of those places is the Salcombe which you are talking about?

Incidentally, there is a Salcombe in Devon, but it's nothing like the one you describe. ;)

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
There is a certain tanned frenetiscm which appeals about Salcombe...

We had a rather damp passage a few years back from Falmouth... must have been 2000 or so... anyways... as we came in past Starhole bay the weather lifted... and out of the gloom zoomed a PWC with a youngish lady with a bikini and enormous ... anyways... the sun came out... and the temperature shot up... and the beaches were gleaming... and we peeled off the layers and the harness and the LJ's and we could have been in the Med...

The prices are annoying, and the crowds, and the grockles.... but in the right weather... with the right attitude... and a decent mooring not too far out.... it pretty good!

Shame that our favorite shop is now a fat face.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
The laugh he gave us was worth every penny of the mooring fee. hes no longer there but the young lads on the launches are always freindly and helpful.
For the record, we had no complaints with the people working the harbour, they were indeed friendly....

But you must have laughed a LOT for it to be worth every penny.... I can't remember the exact prices we paid now, as it was 8 months ago, but do remember being staggered at the cost for what was after all a mooring, and a shared one at that... I seem to have something like £38 a night in my head

The harbour is a truly beautiful place, nature at its very best. Only there were so many people there trying their very hardest to make the nature hard to see or hear... we ended up having to yell at a few kids who had decided to have a race around our boat in a pair of ribs with 20hp outboards... there were so many tenders whipping about that it was unbelievable... must have been 50 or 60 on the water at one point.... and to avoid sounding like a right bah humbug, i'm as happy as anyone to see people enjoying themselves, indeed a very sociable person, but this was just too much for us.... complete disregard for anyone else

Ashore was virtually impossible... packed beyond belief.... It was however, the height of August. I'm sure at other times of the year it would be far better.

The final straw, and thing that caused us to ultimately spend only the one night there was going ashore to get a decent coffee that we found to be £5.50 a cup..... I don't think they made it with gold plated coffee beans... but then maybe they did.... we also felt under dressed... we were the only people ashore not wearing a full set of Henry-Lloyd/Dubary/Musto/Oakley/Jack-Wills gear... mind you most of them in this clobber were also carrying a set of Volvo XC5, Touareg, BMW X5 or Range Rover car keys in their pockets.... inverted snobbery maybe, but the place was just full of Hoorays... you could spot the few real yachties.... the scruffy ones!

blackbeard

Visit site
I have spend many happy weeks in and around Salcombe harbour; it's at its best when you are sailing a dinghy rather than a yacht. So many more places you can go to, on a tide you can get to the top of the creeks where the pubs are! and you can put a dinghy on the beach ... so many visitors in yachts get no further than the moorings.

...and on the topic of Salcombe and its environs ... if the weather suits, there's Hope Cove (nb rock in middle of cove) and, if it's scenery you want, Elender Cove ... (but neither place recommended in an onshore blow!).