Salcombe to Falmouth

jcwads

Visit site
Hi All

So, this year the SWMBO and I are off on a rather long mission for 2 weeks (praying for the weather).

Last year we did Hamble to Dartmouth and Salcombe. It was my first long trip away, and all went to plan. This year we are pushing much further west and are planning on going all the way to Falmouth!

2 stints are planned. First stint is a slog to Salcombe where we will pitch up for a night or two. Then we are going from Salcombe to Falmouth. Route to Falmouth is to go in a fairly straight line just south of Eddystone Rocks.

The first stint to Salcombe is fine having done it before and I will replicate what I did last year - Offshore from St Albans and Portland straight to Salcombe, giving Start Point a wide berth too...

Stint 2 is new to me, so if anyone has any advice or experience from Salcombe through to Falmouth, and cruising that area, then advice is welcome!!

We're off in 2.5 weeks, wish me luck!!!

Last edited:

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
It’s worth thinking about the following:
Stopping for a night on the Yealm - it’s delightful and basic but there is a pontoon and you can tender ashore to one of two or three good pubs.

Probably skip Plymouth but is good if you want to have a busier scence for a night - mayflower is a great marina and the royal William yard opposite is good for restaurants.

Definitely pop in to fowey for a night on one of the legs: pontoons out in the river but well managed and the taxi will take you ashore - Fowey is lovely and gives you 20nm reach to Famouth.

If you are going all the way to Falmouth it would be a shame not to get around the next headland and enjoy a night on the Helford. There are visitor bouys for up to 50’ boats and it’s a great place to potter in anything other than an easterly.

You must try and have an evening on a bouy at St Mawes - it’s super and there are some great eateries and walks to be found, head up to the costapath and take a look down at your boat - will make a good piccy :)

Of the marinas in Falmouth area - Mylor is the most pleasant but isolated and a good distance away from Falmouth or Truro. PREMIER marina is great but usually full - pendenis is good but book ahead for all of them...

Have a great trip!

kcrane

Visit site
I would echo nigelpickin's advice, he has good knowledge of the area.

It sounds like you checked the charts already but there aren't any tricky areas, once you are out of Salcombe turn right and set off to miss the Eddystone Rocks to either north or south, then straight to Falmouth.

But Plymouth is worth a visit. Even if you don't go ashore, just make a detour into Plymouth Sound and imagine it full of men 'o war :) If you do stay over, I suggest Sutton Harbour as they will have space and you are right in the heart of the old harbour area.

I second stopping in at Fowey.

I usually stay at Pendennis in Falmouth, but you will probably need to book in advance.

PS - keep your eyes out for basking sharks and porpoises, there are lots around that coast.

jcwads

Visit site
Thanks for the notes so far. Definitely going to stop over at Fowey, probably on the way back East. Helford looks lovely, so will try and get there for a day or night! Sounds like the whole area is going to be brilliant to explore. Just hope i don't end up being stuck in Hamble for the 2 weeks with crappy weather!!! :)

Richard.C

Visit site
If you are already going as far as Falmouth then I would consider having plans to reach the Scilly Isles in case you have a suitable weather window. Blast to the Scillies in 3 days and take a slow ride back East. If we end up with a period of settled weather it is well worth taking advantage of it, who knows when you get that again in the future!

gjgm

Visit site
I think it somewhat depends on how slow you want to go (or just "get there") and as you go west you do seem to meet alot more head sea !! We have just come back from just this trip, though we have done more places before so this is a recap, though to be honest if you get the weather, Salcombe is almost impossible to beat IMHO.
I've never had any luck with the River Erme or Avon and with Yealm next door...Mind that bar and check weather and tidal heights. Rafting probably on the small pontoon and you need to have your provisions stocked up.
Plymouth has always been a bad weather stop for us, but we actually spent more time there and it is one of the more impressive south coast cities and worth some time in its own right. If you like walking,fantastic walk through Mt Edgcumbe Park to Cawsands (for lunch) and if you are up for it on to Rame Head-this is quite a walk to note! You can take a ferry back to Plymouth from Cawsands beach.
Looe didn't seem too welcoming unless you were a fishing vessel, but maybe we missed a trick...
There is very very little space in Polperro, though a couple of bouys just outside and take the tender in. V.quaint if touristy village.
Fowey we usually stop for lunch as it is an obvious distance break. Pontoons on the left in front of HM or another 200 metres on the right. Fowey itself really is a very small village and we usually find a couple of hours does it, though we have overnighted on occasion. If it is very calm, anchor off Charlestown and take the dinghy in.
Mevagissey is possible if it isn't to busy, tying up against the wall on the inside. Bit touristy for me these days.
We like the vast beach just inside Nare Head if the weather is calm.
Falmouth..I think our forum Falmouth expert has covered the area better than I can ;)
We seem to end up- Plymouth, Fowey for lunch and then cut offshore to Falmouth. Pendennis marina is right in the town so is very convenient. If you are just staying a night you will probably be on the outer pontoon, but if you let them know you are staying a bit they usually find you a finger berth. There is a small beach just beside the lighthouse and another just outside, heading back east for 1/2 a mile. Maenporth is also a good place to anchor/beach. Helford really never rings my bell how ever often we go there..I even read Frenchman's Creek this year to get me in the mood ;)
The seas do get bigger after Salcombe , though if you get the sunshine and calm seas it is superb.

jcwads

Visit site
My 27ft Monterey likes F4 max. Worst case a F4/5 in a fair wind with tide but nothing else! The whole trip will be determined by the weather, so hopefully we get some good periods to cruise down while the sea behaves itself.

That is the main reason I wouldn't do the Scillies in it. Unless of course there was a freak period of calmness. But with my small Mobo I would be concerned about the islands ability to change its mind with the weather, leaving potential horrid anchorages in a small boat. I holidayed there growing up and still go over there to stay albeit not on a boat, so the longing to go there is always prominent. Just need a bigger boat!

timv

Visit site
Yep, when we leave Plymouth Sound and want to relax we turn left, if we want a challenge, we turn right :)

I knew I must be doing something wrong ! I always find the trip from Salcombe back to home marina in Plymouth a rougher journey than from Fowey to Plymouth even when I plan wind and tide. Waves are nearly always coming from the west .

kcrane

Visit site
You will be fine - go with wind and tide in same direction, preferably from behind you and just enjoy it. There’s nothing quite like rounding St Anthony Light House, (watch for pots if you cut in close), - best boating on the south coast by far ;)

After a couple of years in the Solent I went to to the South West for a year for a change of scene - stayed there for nearly 5 years :) - so I'd echo Nigelpickin.

It isn't that often the wind is from the east, so that you can take the tide and wind together carrying you west, but it does make it easier.

Truth be told the sea conditions can change during one outing. It can be lumpy off Start Point, but slight as you pass Plymouth, then a rolling swell as you approach Falmouth, all in the same trip.

My guide tended to be Windfinder. If it said the waves would be 1m or less it was OK. If it says over 1m then it suggests it will be lumpy, especially as you can get wind waves on top of residual swell rolling in from the Western Approaches. Over 1.5m and we stayed inside Plymouth Sound :)

Right now it forecasts 3m waves off Falmouth, but by Sunday back below 1m. There was quite a spell of fairly settled seas in July so it does happen, hopefully in 2 weeks time it will be high pressure and low winds and you'll have a great time !