Sailing in the Meltemi - Aegean Sea, How hard can it be?

ziacek

uk.linkedin.com
That's a bit more welcoming I hope, but if the Meltemi really doesn't blow in October (and I've no idea) then it's right that someone should point it out since Heracles thread title is a little declamatory. :)

While Meltemi is indeed a typical summer wind it is often blowing at any time between May and October. Yeah, and Hercules welcome here!

Heracles

Visit site
Thanks for the welcome everybody, very kind.

Funnily enough the Meltemi (perhaps more properly known as the Etesians, from the Ancient Greek meaning periodic winds) indeed traditionally blow from mid-May to mid-September in the Aegean. Strong, dry, northerly winds, they often blow for days without a break. The Meltemi is potentially hazardous for sailors because they can start without warning in clear weather and can blow at 7-8 Beaufort. Some yachts and most inter-island ferries cannot sail under such conditions.

In the first week of October last year, the Aegean was subjected to around 7 or 8 days of strong dry northerly winds. Many people whom we met during that time while sailing in the Cyclades referred to this period as "a Meltemi" or "the Meltemi". Albeit that the wind was unseasonably late, after several days of sailing in 4 - 6 Beaufort we were inclined to agree with them ��

Perhaps the movie didn't show "the worst bits" with heavy seas etc, but there were times when we were a little too busy to get the cameras out. That being said it was quite a sporting week and not in the least bit dull for three men in a boat. Apparently the windspeed is supposed to drop at night, but not that we noticed... Have a look at us tied up alongside in Serifos, we couldn't get her off for two days ha ha ha!

Anyway, regardless, the Greek Islands are a most wonderful place to sail, especially the Aegean. We will definitely sail there again, but next time if somebody tells us there is a Meltemi on the way, we shall expect a lively ride and treat it with respect.

Blue Skies! Herc.

macd

Visit site
I'd argue light-heartedly with the "tradionally" bit, since traditionals are created by people, not meteorological conditions. But you are right: the locals tend to call any brisk northerly "meltemi" whether or not it conforms to the definition adopted by meteorologists.

I suspect there's something of a different reaction between liveaboards and the more sporting charterers to...let's say, prolonged strong northerlies in the Aegean. The latter often have a ball; the former, after a month or two of enduring it, would like nothing more than a spot of peace and quiet. That said, I don't think either would welcome the typical sea-state of a strong one. As is the case with the Med in general, the seas can be vilely short and steep. Luckily the Aegean is so peppered with islands, that in many areas the fetch is quite short.

ziacek

uk.linkedin.com
... The Meltemi is potentially hazardous for sailors because they can start without warning ...

if you observe:

- higher predicted atmospheric pressure over the Balkan and Northern Aegean
- sudden drop in humidity
- scattered little altocumulus
- clear improvement of visibility combined with a raise in atmospheric pressure

then there is a high chance of meltemi wind.

ronsurf

Visit site
Oh, I'm so glad to be reading this, I'm off there in July on our first ever charter.

What happens if you can't sail because of the meltimi, but have to get back to your base for the end of your charter period?

jimi

Visit site
Oh, I'm so glad to be reading this, I'm off there in July on our first ever charter.

What happens if you can't sail because of the meltimi, but have to get back to your base for the end of your charter period?

Go in the morning ;-)

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info

Read the small print! There's usually a day charter rate payable, plus damages. A reliable way to lose your deposit. Plan your itinerary so it doesn't happen . . . meltemi is usually forecast a day or two ahead.

Tony Cross

Visit site

We see this happen almost every summer on Crete. Inexperienced charterers have a lovely downwind sail to Crete on the Meltemi and are then horrified to find that it's not the same leisurely ride going back upwind......

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
In the first week of October last year, the Aegean was subjected to around 7 or 8 days of strong dry northerly winds. Many people whom we met during that time while sailing in the Cyclades referred to this period as "a Meltemi" or "the Meltemi". Albeit that the wind was unseasonably late, after several days of sailing in 4 - 6 Beaufort we were inclined to agree with them .

That was our experience also. Having had no meltemi at all throughout the summer, southerly winds in the Cyclades in August and September(!) we had a week of the weather we would normally expect in high summer in October.

For the past few days it has been cold and wet in Leros. There seems to be no typical weather at the moment.

Tony Cross

Visit site
That was our experience also. Having had no meltemi at all throughout the summer, southerly winds in the Cyclades in August and September(!) we had a week of the weather we would normally expect in high summer in October.

For the past few days it has been cold and wet in Leros. There seems to be no typical weather at the moment.

I've just finished crewing aboard a yacht competing in the Cretan Union Cup 23rd to 29th May (no we didn't win). We sailed from Heraklion to Sitia and then to Agios Nikolaos on three of the days (round the cans on the others). We had everything from a near gale to becalmed, thunder & lightning, lashing rain, hail (for a short time) even a plague of frogs (ok, I lied about that bit). Can we have our summer back now please?

Heracles

Visit site
Hey, it's just "a wind" right?

That was my whole point about posting in the first place and why I uploaded a video on YouTube. We DID have an inkling of what we were in for, (we read the forecast etc) however we were a bit blasé about "The Meltemi" - not anymore of course, because it is quite a substantial meteorological phenomenon which deserves respect.

Ronsurf, please don't worry at all, you will have the sailing holiday of your life! The Greek Islands are complete heaven for sailing, honestly, there is SO MUCH to recommend them. There is no tide, the weather is munificent, the sea is VERY clean etc etc.

Also there is a plethora (another Greek word perhaps? After all they did invent EVERYTHING we are told...) of weather forecasting info now on the Internet, just Google it all before you go and download a few Apps, you will be an expert weather man in no time :)

Cheers, Herc.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Hey, it's just "a wind" right?

That was my whole point about posting in the first place and why I uploaded a video on YouTube. We DID have an inkling of what we were in for, (we read the forecast etc) however we were a bit blasé about "The Meltemi" - not anymore of course, because it is quite a substantial meteorological phenomenon which deserves respect.

Ronsurf, please don't worry at all, you will have the sailing holiday of your life! The Greek Islands are complete heaven for sailing, honestly, there is SO MUCH to recommend them. There is no tide, the weather is munificent, the sea is VERY clean etc etc.

Also there is a plethora (another Greek word perhaps? After all they did invent EVERYTHING we are told...) of weather forecasting info now on the Internet, just Google it all before you go and download a few Apps, you will be an expert weather man in no time :)

Cheers, Herc.

Just a wind? How dare you Sir?! Down here on Crete it's a legend.... ;)

I know no Greek weather experts, especially in the Aegean. The islands produce such variability that sometimes you might just as well consult wet seaweed!

Nice video by the way, glad you enjoyed your trip. :)

Heracles

Visit site
No offence Tony, after the week we had, we have the greatest respect for the Meltemi.

We will back there this summer without a doubt.

Herc.