Sailing in the Med in 2019

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
The Greek government has created a website with some basic FAQs that might be useful... https://brexit.gov.gr/uk-citizens-in-greece/

Thanks for that Tony. I have always believed that Greece, Spain, Portugal and others would try to make it easy for all the Brits staying in these countries. My worry has always been with unintended financial consequences (we tend to fall between the cracks) and the fact that we are not resident.

The website does address most issues for people now resident in Greece. Not much help for people like us who only spend 6-7 months in the med. and don't have a fixed abode. However, it did have the option to ask specific questions.

I have asked them how to manage a 6 month stay in Greece without a fixed abode. I said that I was currently planning to move to Turkey after 90 days in the event of no Withdrawal Agreement. I mentioned that I'd prefer to remain in Greece if possible and that I could easily provide proof of income and assets. TEPAH might change my preference.

I believe most countries will be happy to receive long term tourists who are able to provide proof that they will not be a drain on their economy. The 90 day limit is my main worry, Greece is known to issue fines for even small breaches by non-EU nationals and you can even get a significant ban from EU for an infringement. A fix for this would allow me to go back to business as usual, at least until I return to Italy, France, Spain etc.

I'll post any response here but don't expect it will be soon.

Akestor

www.youtube.com
In Greece a new fee is applied called (ΤΕ.ΠΑ.Η) for all boats that are in greek waters( flag doesn't matter). Typicaly it has started on 1/1/2017 but the online application for paying at the tax service website is not ready yet. Go figure....This is going to be payed month by month, so if you stay for July then you have to pay for July. No one knows when the application will be ready, but when you arrive i suggest ask the coastguard about it.
Here are the costs, its in greek but you ll understand the numbers.
https://www.boatfishing.gr/poia-skafi-plironoun-to-neo-telos-te-pa-ischy-apo-1-12-2017/

macd

Visit site

Earl Grey

Visit site
Thanks for that Tony. I have always believed that Greece, Spain, Portugal and others would try to make it easy for all the Brits staying in these countries. My worry has always been with unintended financial consequences (we tend to fall between the cracks) and the fact that we are not resident.

The website does address most issues for people now resident in Greece. Not much help for people like us who only spend 6-7 months in the med. and don't have a fixed abode. However, it did have the option to ask specific questions.

I have asked them how to manage a 6 month stay in Greece without a fixed abode. I said that I was currently planning to move to Turkey after 90 days in the event of no Withdrawal Agreement. I mentioned that I'd prefer to remain in Greece if possible and that I could easily provide proof of income and assets. TEPAH might change my preference.

I believe most countries will be happy to receive long term tourists who are able to provide proof that they will not be a drain on their economy. The 90 day limit is my main worry, Greece is known to issue fines for even small breaches by non-EU nationals and you can even get a significant ban from EU for an infringement. A fix for this would allow me to go back to business as usual, at least until I return to Italy, France, Spain etc.

I'll post any response here but don't expect it will be soon.

Mistroma, I think you have asked the question many of us would like the answers to.
I will look out for you re-post with reply with interest.

nortada

Visit site
Mistroma, I think you have asked the question many of us would like the answers to.

Hi Earl,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you considered registering for temporary residence❓

It could get you around the problems of Schengen and the 90 day limit.

Seem to recall there is a recent thread on Liveaboard Like on Registering in Greece.

Earl Grey

Visit site
Hi Earl,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you considered registering for temporary residence❓

It could get you around the problems of Schengen and the 90 day limit.

Seem to recall there is a recent thread on Liveaboard Like on Registering in Greece.

Nortada,

Yes am considering that and am taking sufficient passport type photo, photocopy docs etc to initiate that when I get there in May (if we are still EU citizens then)
As I have asked on a similar thread, I am still unclear what "rights" registration confers withing the wider EU area.

nortada

Visit site
Nortada,

Yes am considering that and am taking sufficient passport type photo, photocopy docs etc to initiate that when I get there in May (if we are still EU citizens then)
As I have asked on a similar thread, I am still unclear what "rights" registration confers withing the wider EU area.

We are equally unclear.

Ref Registration, best to get it while you are still a Citizen of the EU but as things are going you should be OK for, at least, the rest of 2019!

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

Good to get a reminder, I did mean to post an update as I did finally get a response late last week. After only a 5 week delay, it thanked me for my question and confirmed that someone would look into it.

I will post the reply, if I ever get one.

Pretty good chance I'll have moved from Greece or UK will be out of EU before I get anything useful back. :D

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I have sailed into lots of non EU countries all over the world and it is basically the same in all of them:
Fly their courtesy flag
Present ships papers (SSR or Part 1)
Present crew list (make up your own and photocopy) Name, Nationality, Passport number, position - Skipper, crew, Passenger - avoid this option
Present Insurance document - got to have it for any marina anywhere plus ports.
Pratique... in non EU countries you must clear in and out. On clearing out you are issued with a document - Pratique which states you have paid all your bills and have been released by customs - immigration.
(In the Caribbean if you forget to clear out then the next island will not let you land - anchor and will send you back to your last island to get your practique) (Happened to me once in the Virgins0

OK its a bit of a hassle but all part of the cruising lifestyle world wide. if we ever do manage to get out of Europe then I imagine the above is how it will be. When I was a lot younger sailing to France and the Channel islands from the Hamble before we joined the common market it was exactly as above. I rather liked being called the Master and Captain of the ship
- a little 22 footer...

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Places like the USA and Australia require you to have visa in your passport in advance of arrival.

A quick tip... now that the SSR and Part 1 are sent to you un-plastified it is worth making several colour copies so that there is always a copy of the ships papers on board...

macd

Visit site
I am still unclear what "rights" registration confers withing the wider EU area.

If you're asking what rights acquired by registration in one EU27 country would apply to the other 26, the answer is none**. If you have a more specific related question, please ask.

** The only everyday exception I can think of is that residence in any EU27 country would currently allow you to acquire a driving licence there, which would be valid throughout the EU. Further, the UK government has already made clear that it would, after even a no-deal Brexit, fully accept EU27 driving licences in the UK. The EU has so far not made a reciprocal undertaking regarding UK licences.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
If you're asking what rights acquired by registration in one EU27 country would apply to the other 26, the answer is none**. If you have a more specific related question, please ask.

** The only everyday exception I can think of is that residence in any EU27 country would currently allow you to acquire a driving licence there, which would be valid throughout the EU. Further, the UK government has already made clear that it would, after even a no-deal Brexit, fully accept EU27 driving licences in the UK. The EU has so far not made a reciprocal undertaking regarding UK licences.

I am registered in Spain as a resident. I intend moving to France shortly but my Spanish residency does not allow me to reside in France.. I will have to apply for French residency from scratch

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Indeed, but at present EU law does allow you to reside in France (subject, as you'll be well aware, to meeting certain tests). Post-Brexit/post-transition period, that will of change.

(I'm obviously assuming you're an UK citizen.)

Exactly. I am very pro Brexit for my country but personally, with my proposed move its a pain. If I can sell my Spanish house and move soon I will get best of both...

http://www.michaelbriant.com/ronda_hose_sale.htm

in case anyone wants a move to Ronda

Heckler

Visit site
Firstly what ever you read here or any where else is guess work , no one and that include info from the RYA and CA , the fact is no one know not even them at the top .

Documents we need in the 28 plus years we been in the Med are your Passport , registered, insurance and make sure it's in other country language i.e. Greek and Italy, plus it has at less 500.000 liability and pollution cover , ( that may have gone up to a Mil now ) .
Skipper license, more and more country's are asking for thus now and Greece is one .
Bill of sale , , radio license Although I never been ask and lastly original invoice showing VAT paid again I have never been ask for it not even in Croatia .

We have visit ever EU country in the Med including North African country and Turkey and the document above where all that we needed .

I don't expect on the 1 day of April there going to be any change no matter what happen some months/years later who know , but as I wrote else where in the real world away from the forum no one that worried yes it talk about but no more then Greek Tax, Anchors or batteries , if the worst came to the worst and we have to do as it become known the EU dance , it's going to be a pain but it's doable people been doing it for years and it's only going to effect the liveaboard who want to stay in one country year after years .
For the once like us who move around it just mean counting the days .
Has for " Or do we all bug**r of to the Caribbean?" There hoops to jumps through there too some a lot worst then what may happen in Europe .
OH don't forget shorts Tshirts and swim wear unless your a naturist and them please mind which way you face when bending especially if it's around breakfast time .
Nice one Vic!