Sailing Holiday

DAVIDO

Visit site
Posted some time ago re our sailing holiday in Greece and we received some good advice which we took on board. Were off in four weeks time and have received all the holiday details including boat details http://www.sailingholidays.com/yacht-detail.asp_Q_YachtID_E_11 looks like a good boat. Apparently once leaving each port all we are obliged to do is turn up in the next port by a given time that evening and each day is our own. Re planning where to visit etc what sort of speed would this boat do (not a petrol head question just gives us an idea of range each day) and any other advice. Remember our sailing experience could be written on the back of a stamp /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sailfree

Visit site
Find out the comfortable speed under engine as you will be motoring most morning and the wind gets up for miday and afternoon. I think passage planning at about 5kts is reasonable buit allow for a nice 1-2 hr lunch stop to get maximum pleasure from each day.

Enjoy

Achillesheel

Visit site
In my experience you could do each day's trip in only a couple of hours or so (8-10 nm), but as Sailfree says, allow time for a long lunch stop; we found the wind went completely at lunch time so we drifted/anchored/swam/lazed until it picked up again.

And/or take the long way round to the next stop, and enjoy the sailing!

Have a fab time; we are flotting with Sailing Hols in Croatia in July. Can't wait!

Judders

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...and any other advice. Remember our sailing experience could be written on the back of a stamp /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Try not to hit anything.

I would suggest posting a specific request for advice on colregs on this fine site.

FullCircle

Visit site
Keep the burble of the engine to a whisper, so no more than 5kts.....
Sailing? Hah, we are going to Ionian in 4 weeks, and I have looked at the Gribs. The Iron Lung rules. But its the taking part that counts.

alistairedw

Visit site
Most of the passages are fairly short, but you may get a couple of longer ones as well, particularly if the lead boat skipper wants to get his flotilla into a particular area before the other flotillas get there and grab all the best moorings.

On some days the lead boat skipper will want you in fairly early if the destination port is likely to be busy, particularly if you want to make sure you are able to moor on the quayside.

toad

Visit site
I agree with everything others have said, very good company a bit to laid back sometimes. One thing that took me by surprise was the depth of water ,in some places 3000ft deep. As you move away from the islands you think the depth sounder has stopped working, also take some cheep plastic shoes for swimming.