Sailing Greece to Italy

sailoppopotamus

Visit site
As it turns out, we'll be participating in the Ionian Rally this year, so we'll end up in Katakolo, Greece on the 6th of August. Crew and I are somewhat unsure of where to go to next, and one of the ideas I've floated is crossing over to Italy. The way I see it there are basically two ways of doing this: (A) Head North to Corfu, cross to Brindisi, or (B) Cross directly from Katakolo to Siderno or Sicilly.

The boat is 30ft, we have VHF, AIS, EPIRB, no life raft, no MF/Navtex/satellite coms. Crew of 3-4, all relatively inexperienced. No holding tank.

Plan (A) minimizes the maximum distance from safe harbour. But we've seen most of the Ionian already. Also, without wanting to sling mud at the place, Brindisi is perhaps not the finest Italy has to offer, so we'd probably try to go south along the coastline from there. I have my reservations as to whether it's a particularly scenic journey, and it seems like ports and anchorages are quite hard to find along the way (a typical day sail for us is 30-40 miles at best).

Plan (B) seems to take us straight into the more picturesque cruising grounds. We'll also have to sail non-stop for nearly 300 nm, something which we've never done before (or even close, a 60 nm motorsail is the longest passage we've done so far). Personally, I think this is more appealing than finding ourselves "in Italy" and then having to struggle to get south with sparse stopping points. I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of being so far from land without a liferaft, so I think I'd buy one in time for the journey. On the other hand, it's only a 2-4 day trip, so weather forecasts should be somewhat reliable, and we have the luxury of time to wait for a favourable weather window.

I'm just curious as to what more experienced cruisers would have to say about this.

As for the bureaucracy: (i) Is the lack of a holding tank likely to be a realistic problem in Italy? (ii) I have a Greek 'skippers' license, but no ICC certificate or any other internationally acknowledged qualification. Are either of these points likely to be a problem? The boat is flagged in Greece.

Tranona

Visit site
Last paragraph - no problems. There is no legal requirement to fit a holding tank on existing boats, but usually legislation banning discharge in specific locations. Just like Greece. No need for an ICC as you have the correct qualification for your Greek boat.

As to whether it is worth going to Italy in such a short time, my feeling would be no, unless you had a week or 2 to do Sicily. It is a long boring passage and much of the southern Italian coastline is also boring with long distances between harbours. Maybe better to go north stopping in Albania, Montenegro and Croatia. Much more interesting and no long passages.

Tranona

Visit site
I have done the trip (from Corfu and then through the straits of Messina). Hard slog, but if you then have more time south coast Sicily would be my choice

Cariadco

Visit site
As it turns out, we'll be participating in the Ionian Rally this year, so we'll end up in Katakolo, Greece on the 6th of August. Crew and I are somewhat unsure of where to go to next, and one of the ideas I've floated is crossing over to Italy. The way I see it there are basically two ways of doing this: (A) Head North to Corfu, cross to Brindisi, or (B) Cross directly from Katakolo to Siderno or Sicilly.

The boat is 30ft, we have VHF, AIS, EPIRB, no life raft, no MF/Navtex/satellite coms. Crew of 3-4, all relatively inexperienced. No holding tank.

Plan (A) minimizes the maximum distance from safe harbour. But we've seen most of the Ionian already. Also, without wanting to sling mud at the place, Brindisi is perhaps not the finest Italy has to offer, so we'd probably try to go south along the coastline from there. I have my reservations as to whether it's a particularly scenic journey, and it seems like ports and anchorages are quite hard to find along the way (a typical day sail for us is 30-40 miles at best).

Plan (B) seems to take us straight into the more picturesque cruising grounds. We'll also have to sail non-stop for nearly 300 nm, something which we've never done before (or even close, a 60 nm motorsail is the longest passage we've done so far). Personally, I think this is more appealing than finding ourselves "in Italy" and then having to struggle to get south with sparse stopping points. I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of being so far from land without a liferaft, so I think I'd buy one in time for the journey. On the other hand, it's only a 2-4 day trip, so weather forecasts should be somewhat reliable, and we have the luxury of time to wait for a favourable weather window.

I'm just curious as to what more experienced cruisers would have to say about this.

As for the bureaucracy: (i) Is the lack of a holding tank likely to be a realistic problem in Italy? (ii) I have a Greek 'skippers' license, but no ICC certificate or any other internationally acknowledged qualification. Are either of these points likely to be a problem? The boat is flagged in Greece.
Are you sure there is an Ionian Rally this year? as I haven't seen anything about one, unless you mean what was the old South Ionian, now running from Vassilikis to Sivota??
I race from Brindisi, every year and I love the Place. The Marina to the North of the Harbour is a bit crap, with only one real restaurant, and it's 40 euros in a taxi to get into the town. However, you can moor against the main quay (west end), but you have to book it in advance. You'll need to investigate who to book with,I don't know who as I get free mooring for the Quayside during the race week. The restaurants along the quayside are superb, and excellent value for money. The regatta circus is there, leading upto 11th June.
Regards.

Cariadco

Visit site
By Ionian Rally I mean this race, which this year runs from Trizonia-Patra-Mesolonghi-Zakynthos-Katakolo. It seems to be properly called the International Ionian Sailing Week but ironically all the information is in Greek.
Ah yes, sorry but I missed that one off my Ionian racing Schedule, as my Sailing club isn't organizing it, this year. Thanks.

HenrikH

Visit site
I have not visited Brindisi, but Otranto a little south is very nice, if a bit touristic. Also across Taranto bay, Crotone is worth a visit.

AndrewB

Visit site
I have not visited Brindisi, but Otranto a little south is very nice, if a bit touristic. Also across Taranto bay, Crotone is worth a visit.
Well worth a visit. Features of note include the End of the Appian Way, an old Templar's Church, and what is possibly the only memorial to Mussolini left in Italy, a large fountain. The marina is good, not overly expensive, and customs staff in the port helpful once when we asked about leaving for Greece.

Crotone has a good, convenient marina and a great fish market, but otherwise I don't much like the place. A tacky, cheap-tourist waterfront and a castle that seems always closed. As an alternative, I'd recommend La Castella, a few miles down the coast around Cape Colonna (itself worth a visit).

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Brindisi was the capital of the Kingdom of Italy.
There is also the Grand Hotel on the waterfront where the King and Queen stayed for a while.

It is also not too expensive and has quite some character. We stayed there on a business trip once as it is not too far from Brindisi airport.