Sailing allowed in lockdown

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
Just had an email from my marina assuring me they will be looking after my boat while I cant be there

Ho hum

Your boat is surely still your responsibility though... I feel it's necessary travel to go and check on the lines of my boat after a storm for instance? If she were to, for instance, break loose, or damage something, the marina would not be liable, I (and my insurer) would be? Personal responsibility would be served as I would cross no ones path, not use the ablutions block etc, and travel from car, to boat, to car? I see nothing in the rules that would allow for this travel or allow servicing of that responsibility. National lockdown: Stay at Home

TernVI

Visit site
Your boat is surely still your responsibility though... I feel it's necessary travel to go and check on the lines of my boat after a storm for instance? If she were to, for instance, break loose, or damage something, the marina would not be liable, I (and my insurer) would be? Personal responsibility would be served as I would cross no ones path, not use the ablutions block etc, and travel from car, to boat, to car? I see nothing in the rules that would allow for this travel or allow servicing of that responsibility. National lockdown: Stay at Home
If you haven't secured your boat for winter, you've frankly failed in your responsibility.
Boat maintenance is not a reason to leave your area.
It isn't exactly a surprise that restrictions have been imposed.
It's January. Normal practice is for boats to be ashore in a boatyard, or secure in a staffed marina.

pvb

Visit site
If you haven't secured your boat for winter, you've frankly failed in your responsibility.
It's January. Normal practice is for boats to be ashore in a boatyard, or secure in a staffed marina.

That's rather simplistic. MagicalArmchair's point about checking lines after a storm is reasonable. And if he were to travel on his own in his car, check the boat without meeting anyone, and drive home on his own, what possible risk is he posing to himself or anyone else?

I drove to my boat today to check it. Happily, it was fine, and the roads were almost free of traffic.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world

Not exactly true
I was last at my boat when we were in T3, and expected to be able to return to check things. Then we were in T4 and Xmas, then lockdown, so no opportunity to return to the boat. I expect those that keep their boats in commision throughout winter may well be in this position. Maybe clubs haven't been able to lift, or other things due to this pandemic have prevented normal things from happening.
To tell people they have failed due to circumstances beyond their control is a bit harsh I feel

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
That's rather simplistic. MagicalArmchair's point about checking lines after a storm is reasonable. And if he were to travel on his own in his car, check the boat without meeting anyone, and drive home on his own, what possible risk is he posing to himself or anyone else?

I drove to my boat today to check it. Happily, it was fine, and the roads were almost free of traffic.

You certainly weren't alone in doing so! I was last onboard a two days ago but at that time I had not anticipated potentialy having to leave it for six weeks or more.

As I recall during the first set of restrictions the RYA asked for clarification on clauses in insurance policies requiring the boat to be visited periodically or that damage caused by events not readily noticeable from an external walk round might be excluded and the response wasn't particularly reassuring.

Reactions: pvb

RJJ

Visit site

Also my view. I won't be driving 80 minutes (then to paddleboard to the boat, and back) on a whim, having winterised the boat on her mooring. But on some basis (monthly, or so, or if there's a storm) I'll go and check the lines, ensure ventilation, and the rest. I'll fill the car locally to home and won't go near a soul all day. I'll be causing less Covid risk to anyone than if I went to the park (which I'd probably do for exercise otherwise).

It's not as though it's fun!

There's nobody else to do it, I'm happy to justify it as essential activity if PC Plod wants to know about it.

Adjag

Visit site

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
And here is the latest law The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 3) and (All Tiers) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2021. To be debated (& I guess passed) tomorrow. It's really short and just puts all England into Tier4 - nothing ican see on tightening up really, so seems to me quite different (more relaxed) than the guidance.....Be interested to hear what others think

It would be helpful if there was a consolidated version as that just lists the amendments to the current regulations.

Lymington have just issued thier NTM and are asking for clarification on what is prohibited.

Edit - having discussed travel restrictions at length in this thread, I cannot see them in the regulations. Of course this may be an oversight on my part.

Last edited:

matt1

Visit site
My Dad drummed in to me that whenever I leave the boat I should assume I can’t get back down to her. That mantra has served me well over the years and I always leave the boat immaculately and with everything stowed and secured etc. But like many on here I’ve been making the point of paddle boarding out to the boat more frequently than normal under the guise of “this could be the last time for a while”. For instance I checked her twice over the Xmas hols ;) oh and it was always good for my mental health just being on or around the boat. Fortunately I have a minor dinghy refit going on in the garage so am not completely without a boat to be around....but it’s not the same :(

NotBirdseye

Visit site
That is the guidance, I understand we are promised the actual legislation later today.

Tier 4 was also reported as a 'stay at home order' but I have had some quite pleasant day sails and neither MoD nor the 'normal' marine division have shown any interest in my activities.

During the first lockdown I counter myself fortunate that it was on the hard standing so when it was launched two days after the restrictions were lifted in May I had a clean hull and fresh anodes.

MoD won't give a flying fig... unless you're fishing in the north sea? Nor the coast guard for that matter, though the local harbour master might make their presence known if you're planning on 'visiting'.

Your only problem is really going to be whether you are sailing with crew outside of your household bubble or not... and if you can get to her in the first place!

NotBirdseye

Visit site
My Dad drummed in to me that whenever I leave the boat I should assume I can’t get back down to her. That mantra has served me well over the years and I always leave the boat immaculately and with everything stowed and secured etc. But like many on here I’ve been making the point of paddle boarding out to the boat more frequently than normal under the guise of “this could be the last time for a while”. For instance I checked her twice over the Xmas hols ;) oh and it was always good for my mental health just being on or around the boat. Fortunately I have a minor dinghy refit going on in the garage so am not completely without a boat to be around....but it’s not the same :(

You could dig a very large hole in the garden, fill it with water... or one of those garden erectable swimming pools... (who cares if you've set it up in the living room!)

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
MoD won't give a flying fig... unless you're fishing in the north sea? Nor the coast guard for that matter, though the local harbour master might make their presence known if you're planning on 'visiting'.

Your only problem is really going to be whether you are sailing with crew outside of your household bubble or not... and if you can get to her in the first place!

It was reported on here that people in Portsmouth harbour were being turned around back in March by the Police.

At the time QHM had closed the harbour to yotties but that was recinded back in May and hasn't (so far) been reimposed.

Adios

Visit site
And here is the latest law The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 3) and (All Tiers) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2021. To be debated (& I guess passed) tomorrow. It's really short and just puts all England into Tier4 - nothing ican see on tightening up really, so seems to me quite different (more relaxed) than the guidance.....Be interested to hear what others think
On amendment 8 and 10(d) they hammer sailing by adding all outdoor sports facilities. That will cover all sailing clubs and facilities. If a marina used to be able to portray itself as a sports facility to allow sailing it now won't be able to. Looks like game over other than for people with river moorings and tenders not reached via a facility. Some jobsworth harbour authorities might decide to go further than the law but I still can't see anything that can exclude exercising on your boat outside of an organised sports facility.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
On amendment 8 and 10(d) they hammer sailing by adding all outdoor sports facilities. That will cover all sailing clubs and facilities. If a marina used to be able to portray itself as a sports facility to allow sailing it now won't be able to. Looks like game over other than for people with river moorings and tenders not reached via a facility. Some jobsworth harbour authorities might decide to go further than the law but I still can't see anything that can exclude exercising on your boat outside of an organised sports facility.

To me an outdoor sports facility would be tennis courts, five-a-side football and the like rather than what is essentially a marine car park and back in November sailing clubs and commercial facilities were treated differently.

Dartmouth Harbours interpretation of the rules does remind me of the Dorset Police marina branch's (mistaken) statement that power boating would not be permitted during November restrictions but I suspect we will know more by the end of the week although I am not at all optimistic. Perhaps fortunately it is raining today.

@Blue Sunray any news from the Hamble Authority?

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site

Amendment 10 (d) says "outdoor sportsgrounds and facilities, including outdoor gyms, sports courts, swimming pools, water sports, shooting and archery venues, golf courses, and driving ranges". I reckon "water sports" includes boating.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
To me an outdoor sports facility would be tennis courts, five-a-side football and the like rather than what is essentially a marine car park and back in November sailing clubs and commercial facilities were treated differently.

Dartmouth Harbours interpretation of the rules does remind of the Dorset Police marina branch's(mistaken) statement that power boating would not be permitted during November restrictions but I suspect we will know more by the end of the week although I am not at all optimistic. Perhaps fortunately it is raining today.

@Blue Sunray any news from the Hamble Authority?

Edited:

Public notice

"Visiting a vessel to maintain it or ensure its safety is not at the time of writing excluded. Recreational and leisure activity is considered differently from exercise and is excluded. Visiting boats to spend a night on board is not allowed. Further sector specific guidance will be provided as it is received. "

Adios

Visit site
Amendment 10 (d) says "outdoor sportsgrounds and facilities, including outdoor gyms, sports courts, swimming pools, water sports, shooting and archery venues, golf courses, and driving ranges". I reckon "water sports" includes boating.
must do, so reservoir sailing is out, but is an estuary a "water sports facility" or "countryside accessible to the public" as is allowed for exercise

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
It would be helpful if there was a consolidated version as that just lists the amendments to the current regulations.

Lymington have just issued thier NTM and are asking for clarification on what is prohibited.

Edit - having discussed travel restrictions at length in this thread, I cannot see them in the regulations. Of course this may be an oversight on my part.
Just spent half an hour trying to work out which regulations are being amended and I can't make any sense of it. Also can't find the section on travel restrictions that was explicit in the original regulations last March. Amendments don't have any links to the documents they are amending. God help anybody who is trying to enforce any of this.

Stork_III

Visit site
The latest Amendment has removed all reference to recreation as a valid reason to leave home, exercise still allowed. Still sailors will consider themselves as exceptional and carry on.