Saildrive rope cutters

richardknight

Visit site
Can anyone shed any light on what my options are for makes of rope cutters to be fitted to a saildrive? I've found Ambassador Marine where we're looking at £348 ex. VAT for a 3 blade propellor.

Any other ideas/recommendations?

Thanks,

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Richard,

Search results for rope cutters.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.alltheweb.com/search?advanced=1&cat=web&cs=utf-8&jsact=&_stype=norm&type=all&q=rope+cutter&_b_query=&l=pref&ics=utf-8&cs=utf-8&wf[n]=3&wf[0][r]=+&wf[0][q]=&wf[0][w]=&wf[1][r]=-&wf[1][q]=&wf[1][w]=&wf[2][r]=&wf[2][q]=&wf[2][w]=&dincl=&dexcl=&geo=&limip=&doctype=&dfr[d]=1&dfr[m]=1&dfr[y]=1980&dto[d]=28&dto[m]=5&dto[y]=2003&size[p]==&size[v]=&size[x]=0&hits=10&nooc=on
http://www.propprotect.com/>http://www.alltheweb.com/search?adv...cutter&_b_query=&l=pref&ics=utf-8&cs=utf-8&wf[n]=3&wf[0][r]=+&wf[0][q]=&wf[0][w]=&wf[1][r]=-&wf[1][q]=&wf[1][w]=&wf[2][r]=&wf[2][q]=&wf[2][w]=&dincl=&dexcl=&geo=&limip=&doctype=&dfr[d]=1&dfr[m]=1&dfr[y]=1980&dto[d]=28&dto[m]=5&dto[y]=2003&size[p]==&size[v]=&size[x]=0&hits=10&nooc=on
http://www.propprotect.com/</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

richardknight

Visit site
Thanks - your url did turn up an import option.

With cutters for saildrives being harder to find than cutters generally I'd still appreciate any names of companies providing saildrive cutters which people know of/have experience of.

Specifically by the way, ours is a Volvo MD2030 diesel.

Thanks,

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
i spoke to the 'stripper' people. they do a version which fits to a saildrive leg. it includes a modified anode and lines up so the cutters are aligned behind the leg. they are the ones with the o-so-tasteful ad featuring a mermaid in all the mags.

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidwf

Visit site
Found myself in same postion and went for the Amabassador stripper, its a very well made piece of kit and looking at it I can see that a lot of effort goes into machining it. People are really good to deal with. Sadly as in everything you get what you pay for, I know mines had a chomp through some blue polypropaline (spelling) found some remaines on it at lift out, didn't even feel it so guess it was good value.

<hr width=100% size=1>

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
I have the Stripper mentioned, on a Volvo 2020/ 120s leg. Nothing has failed to be cut and I have liberated a maybe 50 lobsterpots, etc. in my day. If it fails, to complete the job on the go, about 10% of times, a quick burst of astern clears it 100%.

It is well made and only needs the 'bearings' changing every 5 years/500 hours ish.

<hr width=100% size=1>

JeremyF

Visit site
Stick to Ambassador - its a beautifully made piece of kit. If you buy at the SIBS or LIBS you get the VAT off

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=red>

tom52

Visit site
If you are going to have one have a good 'un.
The ambassador stripper is the only way to go.
Horrendous price even by marine standards but it does work.
I have one on my VP 2020 / 120S saildrive. Easy to fit and beautifully made.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jax

Visit site
I have an ambassador cutter in first class cond. I had it on a 120 Volvo leg. I no longer use it as I've fitted a Yanmar engine and leg and it will not fit. anyone interested?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jax

Visit site
Hi again,

We had the stripper fixed to a 120 Volvo leg with a two blade prop. It worked without trouble and very well. However the engine blew up in the Bahamas and I re-engined with a Yanmar and a folding prop, the stripper will not fit with the folding prop. A new stripper will cost £367 if you care to make me an offer I can get it posted to my son which would be nearer for you to collect than my location. Fitting the cutter is easy and I have the instructions and diagrams

Regards Ken (Jax)

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on 01/06/2003 23:31 (server time).</FONT></P>

oldestgit

Visit site
hi:

I am also interested if you have not already moved it on to "Jax".

I also live in the wilds of Norfolk.... Just outside Norwich.

Peter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jax

Visit site
Hi Peter

I have only just found your enquiry. If you are still interested in the cutter (it's for a 110 volvo leg not a 120 by the way) please phone me 01328 830 082
Regards Ken

<hr width=100% size=1>