Saildrive - blocking water intake

Spuddy

Visit site
I've put in a thro hull plus decent ball valve so I can dispense with cooling water via the saildrive leg. The reasons are that: the valve for the leg input is in a very awkward spot; the intake slots block up with mud on my half tide mooring; and I've heard reports that the Volvo plastic gate valve is none too good.
Once it's redundant I intend to block off the saildrive intake. Any suggestions please? There are reports on this forum of putting in a bronze stop end at the top of the leg. Trouble is the access makes it impossible for me. What about epoxy patches over the slots at the bottom? As belt + braces I'd then keep the valve at top of leg as well.
Thanks for any responses.

Halo

Visit site
I would not bother with the epoxy patches. If you cannot put a proper plug in the saildrive housing then I would put another valve or a plug in the line and terminate the pipe there.

Hayling

Visit site
I installed a stopcock in the hull to draw in sea water
but left the saildrive intake intact, just closed the stopcock
and left the disconnected raw water inlet pipe pipe
cable tied off to a point above the waterline.
If anyone in the future want's to put it back, they can.
2 seasons, no problems.

spannerman

Visit site
The oil in a saildrive doesn't circulate like it does in a VP sterndrive, so there is a circular cooling channel in the underside the upper gearbox to cool the oil as the gearbox is inside the boat, only the portion of the leg that is external benefits from cooling from the sea.

Cantata

Visit site
2 seasons, no problems.

Me too. Run like that your years now, not an issue.

VicS

Visit site
Quite correct but they must have had a reason for designing it that way. But once out of the warranty period ...

Purely I would think to make the water intake integral with the engine and sail drive assembly without needing separate hole through the hull... The water does not circulate round the upper box even and there's no provision for a strainer!

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
2 seasons, no problems.
Me too. As the handle eventually rounded off the nylon stud on the VP stopcock I got a trusted professional to do the installation. He saw no problem in leaving as is.

Spuddy

Visit site
Yep the gate valve shaft is rounded which began the uneasiness. Thanks for suggestions/reassurance; I've already put another ball valve in the hose run. Keeping that and extending hose above waterline should keep things safe