Saildrive (120S) - additional water intake

Ammonite

Visit site
What's the best / preferred way of connecting a second water intake to a 120S saildrive setup? I get a lot of weed hung up on the prop in my home berth which has completely blocked the intakes on several occasions. I can get round it by using a long boathook to pull most of it off before starting as well as keeping the seacock closed for a few seconds until the prop and rope cutter have chopped it to bits but I had what I think was a plastic bag around it at the weekend and I'd like a backup. I have another thru hull I can use but like the idea of being able to select either. Do I just install a T piece and a couple if hosetails beneath the strainer? What's the neatest way of doing it without restricting the flow or encouraging wildlife to grow in the pipes, or do I just cap off the saildrive? I read somewhere that Volvo suggest the latter isn't a good idea as it reduces the cooling effect although as its submerged I can't believe it would make much difference. Thanks

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Essential for water to enter the saildrive housing even if not used for cooling as it is used for cooling the drive. Simple y valve before entry to the water pump to select which intake to use,

Ammonite

Visit site
Essential for water to enter the saildrive housing even if not used for cooling as it is used for cooling the drive. Simple y valve before entry to the water pump to select which intake to use,
Thanks Tranona. With a second strainer or forget about this as its for emergency use only? Also, when I said cap off the saildrive I was referring to the saildrive seacock not the intakes so the saildrive itself would still be full of water. Is it really that critical to have a flow of water through the saildrive itself i.e an open seacock?

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
No, just full of water. If it is convenient think I would have the Y valve before the strainer, but guess it depends where the other inlet is located. The pump does not know where the water is coming from so should prime from either.