Sail alterations

stav

Visit site
Hi All,

I feel like a London bus at the moment, not around for ages and then loads at once.......... but things have changed and sailing is part of my future again........

I have several project for the boat at the moment and one of them is a better mainsail. I purchased a second hand fully battened mainsail and it seems a nice (for the price) sail but unfortunately the foot is about 4 to 5" too long. Is it possible to take that much off the foot of a sail? And any recommendations to do such a job? I will be in the South coast during the end of January and could drop in at a sailmakers???

The pencil line in the photo goes up to the first reef.

Thanks for any suggestions.....

Attachments

• 2023-11-25_12-13-30.jpg
    2023-11-25_12-13-30.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 2023-11-25_12-06-29.jpg
    2023-11-25_12-06-29.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 2023-11-25_11-38-57.jpg
    2023-11-25_11-38-57.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 2023-11-25_11-17-21.jpg
    2023-11-25_11-17-21.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 42

Tranona

Visit site
I get that sort of work done by Kemps. Office in Gosport or loft in Wareham. Give them a call. Probably quite a lot of work involved as it is fully battened. Now is probably a good time to get it done as in a few weeks time the spring rush will start.

Refueler

Visit site
What about selling the sail and buying another ?? As T says - the sail is fully battened and therefore will not be cheap to modify ... whether its 4 - 5" or 5ft .. it still means the leech being cut and remade.

dunedin

Visit site
Would buying a secondhand, longer boom not be cheaper?
Yes, I was going to suggest if the sail will clear the backstay, extending the boom might be cheaper. Or even as so close, could a metal clew plate be fitted and attach to the boom in the middle of the plate (A bit like the way sheets are attached to some self tacking jibs)

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
Those batten boxes are now obsolete,if you don’t have the wedges for them you have nothing to hold the batten in place .
The sail isn’t in the best shape and the leech and foot could be altered to get the dimensions you want .
Ideally recutting the luff and fitting new batten boxes might be the best way to go about it for an acceptable sail shape

Refueler

Visit site
That's good to know - I'll have to be extra careful to prevent Neptune grabbing one.

Cue Refueller suggesting 3D printing replacements...

Ha Ha .... cheers !!

I would be reluctant to trust 3D printed items on such .. even with the stronger filaments. Main reason being that most original parts are moulded ... but 3D printed are by layers. Any fluctuation or change in filament flow can weaken the layer adhesion ....

Lightwave395

Visit site
I get that sort of work done by Kemps. Office in Gosport or loft in Wareham. Give them a call. Probably quite a lot of work involved as it is fully battened. Now is probably a good time to get it done as in a few weeks time the spring rush will start.
+1
I've just had the luff of a recently acquired near-new headsail shortened by 800mm at Kemp (they initially had built the sail) A few years ago they'd also modified my No2 kevlar race sail to fit the newly fitted furler.
Excellent and reasonably priced service in both cases

oldbloke

Visit site
I wonder whether, with that small an amount to remove, you couldn't just put a new cringle a couple of inches further in and leave it at that ? A couple of quid and no harm done

stav

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I have contacted Kemps and super helpful. Hopefully I will chat with them next week and see what they have to say. Like all the different ideas! I did think about the boom issue but not many spare booms here on Jersey and shipping over etc ££££. Shame about the batten holders I will have to look and see how they work but not being precious about it might make a wedge from a bit of nylon and then put a little bolt through. I do have a 3d printer (my leaving teaching present to myself) but wouldn't trust a print in that situation. I got it to help model some parts for a below deck auto helm unit I am thinking of making with dynema connecting lines. Have lots of other jobs over the next year to get ready for longer periods on the boat. Thanks.

stav

Visit site
Those batten boxes are now obsolete,if you don’t have the wedges for them you have nothing to hold the batten in place .
The sail isn’t in the best shape and the leech and foot could be altered to get the dimensions you want .
Ideally recutting the luff and fitting new batten boxes might be the best way to go about it for an acceptable sail shape
Thanks for the honest answer about the condition of the sail, it will help me judge what I do with it going forward........ Ta. M