sacrificial strip

Slinky Spring

Visit site
Does anyone know who will supply sacrificial strip so I can do a diy replacement on my genny. I have tried North point without success. Needs to be 12" wide and 6" wide

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Has anyone ever actually needed to replace the sacrificial strip before the sail has died.

My old genny and the even older one stuffed at the front of the sail locker both had none. Some repairs to stitching along the way, but the material remained sound.

I said no when asked if I would like one on my new sail for this very reason.

So my question, have any of you raggies out there ever had the strip changed because it had been broken down by UV?

I think it is a great money spinner by the sail lofts personally.

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>
1.gif
</A>

Avocet

Visit site
I haven't had a UV strip replaced but I used to have a hank-on jib that got converted to roller reefing. Initially, it didn't have a strip - in fact the sailmaker (Jeckels) tried to persuade me NOT to have one! He said that the shape of the reefed sail would be better without it because as they roll up, there is a double+ thickness of cloth at the edges which makes the middle baggy. He was right, it set quite well with a few rolls in. Unfortunately, after a couple of seasons in a not very sunny part of the world, I noticed (it's a tan sail) the material fading at pretty much the place where you'd expect to find a UV strip. More importantly, some of the stitching was decaying. This is a very old sail so maybe the threads used are more UV resistant these days but it seemed like the stitching was suffering more than the sailcloth. I had a strip put on when the stitching was repaired by a local sailmaker. Unfortunately, the sail never set as well after that (even when not reefed!) so he ended up putting a leech line in as well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

maxi

Visit site
Re: Jools

Yes, I have replaced sacrifical strips that have broken down, and more than one. They are literally sacrificial, usually no different to normal sailcloth but designed to protect the sail proper from UV.

To answer the main question, try Kayospruce 01489 581696

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
dont do it Jules, you really must fit a sacrificail strip, otherwise you will need a new sail much sooner. I reckon on abt 5 years for a replacement on mine, and will have to do it this winter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Well that might be OK in wet Wales but in sunny Poole the strip lasts about 4 years. Our present boat didn't have one fitted and the expensive North laminate sail was scrap after 5 yrs (3-4 months per year hoisted on the roller) in the Med.

Jules, for the sake of your straining wallet, take it down, cover it up or fit a sunstrip!

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

salamicollie

Visit site
Never needed to replace a sacrifical strip made of top gun or one of the acrylics sue to sun damage in wales - but have had to replace one that was a second layer of sailcloth (to avoid the extra thickness) after five years in Wales... seeing the state it was in I wouldn't leave a sail up that didn't have one.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
Do you mean Pointnorth? - I thought they could supply an acrylic version? My genoa had new sacrificial strip fitted about 5 years ago and already the leech strip has gone, but not the foot! It is not acrylic but what looks like a lightweight spinnaker material. The sail certainly sets well with it - even well rolled up - unlike a friends who did have a heavier acrylic on - that set terrible when reefed.
I'll have to do mine this winter again & I'll probably go for the lightweight sailcloth again so it still sets OK when reefed. The other alternative is to pull a 'sock' up the forestay when furled.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

claymore

Visit site
Re: Jools

Me too but not DIY - Owen Sails replaced mine 2 years ago and I think it cost around £100 - don't have the detail of size with me but the boat is 30 ft.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple>regards
Claymore<font color=purple>
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Solwaycruiser

Visit site
I have had to replace the sacrificial strip before. I also know someone who is having to replace his sail because he didn't have a sacrificial strip fitted. The strip does make the sail baggy when partially rolled but the answer is to have a foam or rope luff added along with the strip(yes more money) which makes quite a difference with a large overlapping genoa.

<hr width=100% size=1>