SABB 9HP Engine on a Halcyon 27

Loopylu

Visit site
I have just bought a 1971 Halcyon 27 with the original engine. I am told that is a very good, simple, fishing boat engine and it certanly is quite unlike anything you could buy today. It has no gear box, but a variable pitch propeller. It seems to be started with the aid of cartridges that explode and, a great benefit, it has a big fly wheel and can be hand cranked.

But that's all I know about it. Have others with the same engine advice or suggestions on operating and maitaining it? For example, what spares do you need, can I get a workshop manual and how reliable is it?

I am planning on cruising through the french cannals and then into the med, but am unsure as to how reliable my engine is!

All ideas welcome, Thank you for your time. Hope to hear from you soon!

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I certainly had one years ago - always worked well.

I'm not sure about explosive cartridges - it did use things that were colloquially known as cigarettes for the first start of the day - therafter it would invariably start without them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
I'm sure that a friend of ours has the same engine and prop in his trintella 29 - I'll ask where he orders spares from - it is somewhere in N Europe, but he is satisfied with their service. As for the engine, theirs seems to be reliable. I've never seen an engine tick over quite as slowly as this one does, it has to be less than 200 rpm.

Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MIKE_MCKIE

Visit site
Had one on a 1970 vintage BOWMAN 26, but got rid of it as had a new engine & g/b lined up. However, the engine, at least 34 years old, always started first time,without the "cigarettes". Just follow the manual, inject reveral squirts of lub oil into the appropriate hole at the top, decompress & away she goes. Believe you will only need the fags in a very cold winter. I did not personally like the dynastart idea, it is neither a proper starter, nor a proper charger. Having said that it always started the engine & always charged the batteries, so no complaints. The rather large flywheel is a blessing as it smooths out the single pot lumps, and does enable the engine to idle at ridiculously low speeds. Great for a strange or crowded mooring!
The fully feathering propellor is a teriffic idea & had I had the time to renew the worn parts would have been great. It takes some getting used to, but so long as there is not too much slack in the gearbox &/or propellor, it does make manouevring very easy. Just watch out though, because you do not get the kick to port of a normal right handed engine when you go astern. First few times were a bit of an education! Also, with the hefty flywheel, acceleration of the engine is, shall we say, a touch leisurely!
The SABB UK agent used to be in Plymouth, but has recently retired & a new one has taken over. Can't recall who at present, but will do a search & let you know if I find them. Pity, as the old one was fantastic, been doing it for years etc etc. It turned out that they had even built my boat in 1970, so that was another several hours yakking on the phone!
Happy sailing!
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

jleaworthy

Visit site
The Sabb is either an 8 or a 10 HP. Although they look more or less the same they are very different engines. Simplest way of telling them apart is whether or not there is an oil pressure guage. The 8 has one - the 10 doesn't because it has no oil pump and relies on splash lubrication of the massive taper roller bearings of the big end and main bearings. I've had both and would say that whereas the 10 is a magnificent engine (easy to start by hand from cold wothout starting cigarettes and using a shot of oil down the tube in the rocker cover) the 8 is a bit of a dog and often a s*d to start.

My advice would be that if it's a 10 keep it as it will run for ever. If it's an 8 I would plan to replace it with a modern engine. If you decide to change you will find that a normal 25mm shaft will fit into your existing stern tube even though you have a controllable pitch propellor at present.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TonyTitch

Visit site
I have an 8hp Sabb HG, which has served me OK. You should find an identification plate on it to tell you which model,e.g G,GG,H,HG or similar, when it was made and a serial number, in my case HG65 104. near the starting handle. The only spares I've needed are fuel and oil filters- other things came with the boat. As has been said,and in fact is mentioned in the June03 PBO, the agent in Plymouth, Mike Challis, has retired. The agents are now Sleeman and Hawken, Broadmeadow Industrial Estate, Teignmouth, Devon TQ14 9AE Phone 01626 778266. Email keithmason@sleeman-hawken.demon.co.uk. Website www.sleeman-hawken.demon.co.uk. The manufacturers, in Bergen, are on www.sabb.no, with an English version.

<hr width=100% size=1>

polarity

Visit site
I Have one of these(10 hp) in my Nantucket Clipper (see link below). Not the fastest but simple, runs on a spoonfull of diesel and will last for ever. You can strip down the injector with an adjustable spanner and a multitool. Always starts, when her valves needed re grinding she always needed a cigarette (loss of compression when cold) but before not. The cigarette can be replaced with a glow plug these people carry all the spares

SABB UK SOUTH:
Tel 0 17 52 40 22 86
Fax: 0 17 52 48 28 92

This is the manufacturers website http://www.sabb.no/engelsk/Diff-crafts.htm

Oh and re the canals. I took mine from the Med through the Canal du Midi and up through the channel and into the baltic and on to Poland!... so YES !!

When I got the nantucket I thought of changing it but I love it and she sounds just great !

Any specific questions my email is on my site below, feel free!

<hr width=100% size=1>Paul
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.polarity2.com/Clipper.htm>http://www.polarity2.com/Clipper.htm</A>