RYA Training Centres

johndove

Visit site
Looking out on the Solent these last couple of days, I have seen 8 RYA sea school yachts sailing around the Solent on AIS (Fairview's, Fleur de Lis, Carte Blanche, UKSA Chale, UKSA Sylvia to name 4) with a popular place to stop over night being Haslar marina.

Can't get my head round how this continues in a national lockdown. Also how can Haslar marina be open to visiting yachts. Assume they can sleep on board while berth holders can't.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201113-204214_MarineTraffic.jpg
    Screenshot_20201113-204214_MarineTraffic.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 11

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
W
Looking out on the Solent these last couple of days, I have seen 8 RYA sea school yachts sailing around the Solent on AIS (Fairview's, Fleur de Lis, Carte Blanche, UKSA Chale, UKSA Sylvia to name 4) with a popular place to stop over night being Haslar marina.

Can't get my head round how this continues in a national lockdown. Also how can Haslar marina be open to visiting yachts. Assume they can sleep on board while berth holders can't.
Why don't you write to the schools and ask them?

Skylark

Visit site
Presumably zero to hero is career training.
Yep, they'll be out in this cold winter weather with its limited daylight hours, high winds and squally showers, doing, among other things, 60+ mile night passages including entrances to a wide range of unfamiliar ports.

Meanwhile, the rest of us can plan our next summer cruise, same as every other year, from Southampton to Cowes, from the comfort of an arm chair while being warmed by a log fire. ?

capnsensible

Visit site
Yep, they'll be out in this cold winter weather with its limited daylight hours, high winds and squally showers, doing, among other things, 60+ mile night passages including entrances to a wide range of unfamiliar ports.

Meanwhile, the rest of us can plan our next summer cruise, same as every other year, from Southampton to Cowes, from the comfort of an arm chair while being warmed by a log fire. ?
Prime mover for seeking the sun for me. A couple of winters teaching there was.....interesting, but involved not only being cold and wet, but shedding skin off my hands weekly. ?

lustyd

Visit site
If it's safe enough to keep parliament open and full of MPs then it's safe enough for yacht training. There is zero reason MPs need to be in the House to discuss and debate then vote. If ever there was a job suited to remote working that's it. This leaves me with zero respect for their policies and recommendations, if they want the country to play ball they need to do better.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
If it's safe enough to keep parliament open and full of MPs then it's safe enough for yacht training. There is zero reason MPs need to be in the House to discuss and debate then vote. If ever there was a job suited to remote working that's it. This leaves me with zero respect for their policies and recommendations, if they want the country to play ball they need to do better.

They were brought back amid concerns that Johnson was not performing well at PMQ's without the usual mob braying behind him.

chrishscorp

Visit site
I believe they can still run some training courses. Comp crew, Dayskipper and PB2 however any course that requires you to stay on board for the duration such as Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster can not be taught at the moment. Though how 5/6 people sleeping on board is any higher risk than sharing the close quarters of a cockpit Im not really sure.

johndove

Visit site
Under covid regulations, all public transport including passenger vessels require all to have face coverings. The one's at Haslar didn't.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Under covid regulations, all public transport including passenger vessels require all to have face coverings. The one's at Haslar didn't.

I passed both the UKSA boats yesterday in the approaches to Portsmouth harbour, the main thing that stood out was the second one hadn't grasped that staying in the middle of the channel when entering against the spring ebb was never going to be fast.