Rust remover

www.sail-help.co.uk
Grateful for any tips on removing rust from ageing stainless steel (poor grade?) and from a stain on GRP.
Boots said they would sell me 1 lb of oxalic acid so drove 17 miles to buy it, when I got to shop I was told they could not sell it. I assumed they thought I was going to poison Granny!

neilmft135

Visit site
If you can get hold of some metal brite this will clean up all your stainless steel also very good for engine coolers that have stainless plate or tubes. The proper name for the solution is phosphric acid at a 5% mix with water this will do the trick take care to dispose of the waste solution in a proper manner as it is toxic to marine life.
Regards,
mft135

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you can get hold of some metal brite this will clean up all your stainless steel also very good for engine coolers that have stainless plate or tubes. The proper name for the solution is phosphric acid at a 5% mix with water this will do the trick take care to dispose of the waste solution in a proper manner as it is toxic to marine life.
Regards,
mft135

[/ QUOTE ] Isn't this the formula for Coca Cola?

SABREMAN

Visit site
The best remover of rust stains on GRP I've found is one of the `ASTONISH` products usually used for cleaning kitchens, cookers and the like. I use the one specified for cleaning ovens and it works a treat to get rid of just about all stains. Not sure how it works on s/s but imagine it should be good. It also has been said by the manufacturers to be OK to use on the surfaces I mention.
Can be sourced from Wilkinsons stores.

macd

Visit site
Try another chemist. Oxalic acid is definitely the stuff you want. Dissolve in warm water, but add crystals to water, not the other way round. Then stiffen with cheap wallpaper paste so it doesn't run off the job.
Failing that, prepare to pay more at a chandlers for Y10 gel, a pretty blue concoction that achieves the same results.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Make a gel mix. Paint on. Leave for 10 - 20 minutes. Wash off.

To reduce rate of rust re-appearance, wax the surface afterwards.

To deal with the source of rusting, get serious. Passivate the guilty areas, either by mirror polishing them, or by treating them with citric acid. Ask experts for more details . . .