Rumour Control - Next years pricing

G

Over the past few weeks I have been talking to various people about next years marina rates...

rumour de jour as follows
C&N Gosport - existing berth holders 2.5% and new berth holders by size of berth.
MDL - Upto 10% maybe thinking about by size of berth as well
Premier - 6%
Haslar 6 %

now can anybody confirm this lot?

Pete

G

Now you see what happens when a bunch of yotties get together!!!! :eek:)

Pete

jimi

Visit site
John, why do'nt you price the berths based on the size of the berth itself rather than the size of the boat occupying it? I know smaller boats will pay more .... why not? Why should larger boats subsidise their smaller neighbours?

Jim

JeremyF

Visit site
John,

Please quosh these rumours as hard as you can. As you have said before, you are the price benchmark, and if smaller operators start to believe this, then they may act accordingly. I too heard the rumour of 10%.

<font color=blue>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=blue>

Trevethan

Visit site
Hi John,

Thanks for the info, still considering a berth at an MDL marina if and when I get transferred to the Southeast from Devon, and I get the work on the boat finished. (Early next year probably)

Of course being a slight cynic, can I humourously point out that a 50% increase in fees is also "nothing like the number you suggest"?

nicho

Visit site
Peter, I thinks it's very refreshing that the boss of the UK's largest chain of marinas takes the time to read through this forum, and indeed respond from time to time. I'm sure it gives him a greater insight into the (no doubt rather predictable) thoughts of his customers. I was very impressed with John at the Show; we visited the MDL stand as normal, and he took some 20 minutes to listen to our concerns about MDL pricing policies. He is a very honest sort of guy and we took immense comfort that he showed such interest. We do, of course, wait along with the rest of you for the 2003 price list structure and hope our new found faith will not be shattered!!

jimi

Visit site
I wonder what price levels would be if they were auctioned rather than set? What do you think?

Jim

JeremyF

Visit site
Good first steps from MDL

I think John is doing good stuff. Remember, he is the MD, and not the owner of the business, so he has responsibilities to his shareholders. He has started well, by becoming an approachable face of a business that has been disliked by its customers in recent years.

If you consider the efforts he is making to add perceived value to bertholders with extra services, and his low-price visitor berth initiative, its clear he is trying to lead MDL in the right direction. He knows its not in the long-term interest of the business to be perceived badly

I'm sure he is under great pressure to maximise short-term returns. What we need to do is to provide him evidence of what will happen in the medium term if he is perceived to force prices up aggressively in the short term. He needs this evidence, as otherwise the basic rules of supply and demand will prevail, and in the short term there is more demand than supply.

Incidently, charging for finger pontoon length is a good start. With the increase in boat lengths over the past 10 years, the older MDL facility has many short fingers. If people are prepared to moor a 10m yacht on a 8.5m pontoon, and access for others is not hindered, then they should be offered a lower tariff.

I was chatting to Camper's manager today. He has persuaded his board that recent price hikes have been painful for both customer and marina. He has persuaded the owners to delay further capital expenditure (new marina office) and instead increase existing bertholder fees by 2.5%. This is a good precedence. With MDL's quantity of marina's, perhaps MDL could slow down capital expenditure on some of the sites, and have an similarly acceptable rise. Then the market can decide - high price/high facility, or lower price/lower facilities.

jimi

Visit site
Re: Good first steps from MDL

Perhaps if the capital expenditure were used to expand capacity rather than upgrade facilities it might kill two birds with the one stone, marina revenue could be increased ie greater no of berths times much the same or smaller charges and keeping bertholders happy with static or reduced charges.

Perhaps the capital expenditure could be used as follows:- I reckon at least 30% of boats never move, all that is required is a few Irish navvies and a big field the non movers could be dug in thus freeing up space for the movers.

Jim

JeremyF

Visit site

Thats an interesting idea Jim. They could shut Chichester lock down permanently and move the 40% who do leave occasionally to Port Solent.

Speaking as someone with an extremely awkward berth at present, perhaps there could be charging like at the theatre. I've got the equivalent to the seat behind a pillar.

jimi

Visit site

Actually I disagree, because, as you actually use your boat most weeks you are in a postion where you can handle a difficult berth. Therefore the people that use their boats the most should be given the most awkward berths .. and so it follows logically that the guys & gals that use their boats the least should be given the easiest and best .. until they are put out to grass (as per earlier proposal).

Jim

JeremyF

Visit site

I'm not even a MDL customer. I simply believe that John needs the chance to follow through what he has started. If he succeeds on pricing this year, and sub-5% would be a success, then we know that MDL is indeed becoming a new company. If the price is jacked up again at more than 150% of wage inflation (by my reckoning wages are rising at 4%) then we will know that John is not succeeding, and the customer-responsive actions so far are just window-dressing.

So, its not unsolicited praise, but instead a challenge.

ChrisJ

Visit site

I think that Newhaven offers a facility where boats can be dry-sailed. They are kept ashore. You ring up on a Thursday, saying "Please launch tomorrow, I am going for a sail". They launch the boat and put it in an empty berth. You sail for the weekend, and then on Monday they lift it out again.
a) you are charged a lot less than keeping the boat in the berth.
b) the marina can fit in more boats than they have berths.
There is presumably a break-even point where its cheaper to leave the boat in the water if you use it most weekends, but if you only get to go sailing once every other month it must be a good approach.