Rude awakening in Teignmouth

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Well on our local face book pages someone has posted a Drone picture of a Long Ship carefully possitioned between the two Harbour Authority Pontoons ;Duno if its the same Ship , but apparently the Ship beteen the two pontoons happeneed this week ;

The Ship wedged between the two visitor pontoons , missing I understand the Craft lying alongside the pontoons , but dislodging some Craft , although not breaking their lines or moorings

Seems a bit of Very Bad Luck to have two Ships going awol on their course to the Docks in the same week ?

Frogmogman

Visit site

Cargo vessel Clarity gets it wrong and runs into the Visitors moorings at Teignmouth, hope no one was on board the yachts. Might have been much more serious in the summer.
The obvious explanation seems to me that the ship’s master had just enjoyed a long session in one of Teignmouth’s pubs with my mate Dave.

Bouba

Visit site
If people moor their boats without leaving room for others to manœuvre what do they expect ?‍♂️

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I suspect that this incident is similar to the Suez one. Not so long ago, ships used to do 20-25kn and more. Nowadays they can only manage 12-15 flat out. Engines have got smaller, to reduce emissions. This has left many ships short on power for close quarters in adverse conditions, whether that’s tide or wind, or tight turns due to obstructions. I’d have trouble if I had to reduce from 15hp to 8.

jamie N

Visit site
I'm not seeing any wash from the Clarity giving it a aft command until about 1:45, or a thick 'belch of black smoke' indicating big power for a quick manoeuvre astern.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I'm not seeing any wash from the Clarity giving it a aft command until about 1:45, or a thick 'belch of black smoke' indicating big power for a quick manoeuvre astern.
Unless you anticipate, that’s what it's like with too little power. He’s probably gone into astern for a fair way, before realising it wasn’t doing anything. Then they give it the beans, but it’s too late, insufficient reserve power. Prior planning and preparation, and the anticipation of disasters ahead are key to manoeuvring with a kids bath toy stuck to the bottom of your boat in lieu of a decent engine. I have been there, much to my embarrassment. Thankfully on a much smaller scale.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
If people moor their boats without leaving room for others to manœuvre what do they expect ?‍♂️

Yepquite so , so its the Harbour Authority c-up then , mooring too many boats in the fairway ?

Coor a slight 'Fred Drift Ere' but I do not see any Balls being hung from masts , so just maybe , the Ship Skipper thought them Craft were the 'give way' vessels ? {:)#

Wansworth

Visit site
Coaster I was on came into a berth in Rotterdam with a full gale up its chuff serán along the quay endevour ing toget a rope ona bollard but with no joy although going hard astern the momentum was such that we put a very nice vee in a Dutch barge ……

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Yepquite so , so its the Harbour Authority c-up then , mooring too many boats in the fairway ?

Coor a slight 'Fred Drift Ere' but I do not see any Balls being hung from masts , so just maybe , the Ship Skipper thought them Craft were the 'give way' vessels ? {:)#
The moorings are either side of the main channel in shallow water either by The Salt bank, or the shore. Not waters likely to be best suited to a large coaster.

I have never seen boats on fixed moorings hang up anchor balls, though auto anchor lights are not uncommon - sometimes a wise precaution if the fairway passes through the moorings and there is much traffic at night as on the Tamar

doug748

Visit site
The harbour authority are reported as saying:

" The spokesman said events as happened to the Clarity were now rare but Teignmouth traditionally had been know for difficulties in the past due to its moving sand bar and tight space.
She said while the incident was minor, it still required investigating.
Due process had been followed throughout the cargo ship coming into port but there were problems for about 10 minutes before she came alongside safely."

It always seemed doubtful that a ships master would take matters into his own hands, as suggested on Youtube but no doubt the truth will emerge

newtothis

Visit site
That ship, under a previous name, hit the wall at Las Palmas a couple of years ago, damaging the bow.
It has also had a couple of breakdowns from dodgy fuel, one requiring a tow.
Some ships are just unlucky.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
View attachment 147219

I found this on tinterweb.

Love the comments on the report,

A spokesman for Teignmouth Harbour Commission said the incident was relatively minor and should not have happened...

The 25,000 tonne ship, which carries general cargo, was on its way from Rotterdam when it appeared to take a wrong turn.
Already reversing out at this point judging by the propwash but I suspect the incident started by some sort of technical problem involving a failure to get the engine to go astern some time earlier.
BTW if that ship is 25,000 tons my AWB is a 500 ton tall ship ;)

penfold

Visit site
Already reversing out at this point judging by the propwash but I suspect the incident started by some sort of technical problem involving a failure to get the engine to go astern some time earlier.
BTW if that ship is 25,000 tons my AWB is a 500 ton tall ship ;)
2,500t is more likely, those things don't draw very much.