RTW with SOL

Spyro

Visit site
This is getting ridiculous.

I am making 1.4 kts (0.9 VMG)

Still got 33 miles to go. There is no wind (well 2.8 kts)

What do I do?

Tony

Don't worry this will be one of your discards. You can still compete in leg 2 just make sure you register. it will be just like a new race.

Sanderling_

Visit site
Phew, that was more taxing than envisaged!

Well that was fun. Despite starting late, spending an afternoon sat on a Spanish beach and waking up one morning to find I had spent about 10 hours sailing east rather than west (my fault, not the winds), I finished 100th.

Learned alot by trial and error; thanks to you guys for giving guidance along the way. Looking forward to a solid nights sleep before things kick off again tomorrow.

I downloaded Sailplanner yesterday and it explains why the leaders all hugged the Morrocan coast last evening. Is it possible to automatically link boat position to Sailplanner or are they totally separate? Your guidance on how to get the best out of this software would be much appreciated.:)

Well done everyone who has finished so far, see you all on the start line tomorrow evening.

Tony

Dipper

Visit site
This is getting ridiculous.

I am making 1.4 kts (0.9 VMG)

Still got 33 miles to go. There is no wind (well 2.8 kts)

What do I do?

Tony

You can start sailing the next race (practice session) now even though you haven't finished the previous leg. When the next leg starts, all the boats are returned to the start line (and stay there) automatically one hour before the start and any command you set within one hour of the start is acted on at the starting gun.

Sometimes when racing the leaders get separated from the rest of the fleet as the wind dies behind. Occasionally the wind fills from the back of the fleet and you can (nearly) catch up.

Dipper

Visit site
I downloaded Sailplanner yesterday and it explains why the leaders all hugged the Morrocan coast last evening. Is it possible to automatically link boat position to Sailplanner or are they totally separate? Your guidance on how to get the best out of this software would be much appreciated.:)

I looked at Sailplanner but decided I would prefer to use my own (dodgy) judgment to sail the courses. To have some software telling me where to sail seems to me to take some of the fun away but others do enjoy using it. Almost all the leaders use weather routing software but there a few who manage without.

Martin_J

Visit site
Hi Guys... well done.. as the wind was picking up in the middle last night I did think you were all catching up..

BTW - I did all my planning just by looking at the screen and continuously moving the wind bar from left to right.. then repeating.. again and again.. imagining where I would (or could) be for each hour in the days ahead.. I guess it's a bit like playing chess and thinking dozens of moves ahead.

It was close (Trev!).. Well done all! See you back on the water on Friday night...

Did you check out the forums on Sailonline.. there's a great picture of 76T's dinosaur.. yes, as he sailed back across the Med a couple of nights ago, his track resembled the head, back and tail of a dinosaur..

http://www.sailonline.org/board/thread/5233/overnight-dc-vs-sailing-in-one-s-sleep/?page=1#post-5233

Spyro

Visit site
Well that was fun. Despite starting late, spending an afternoon sat on a Spanish beach and waking up one morning to find I had spent about 10 hours sailing east rather than west (my fault, not the winds), I finished 100th.

Learned alot by trial and error; thanks to you guys for giving guidance along the way. Looking forward to a solid nights sleep before things kick off again tomorrow.

Well done everyone who has finished so far, see you all on the start line tomorrow evening.

Tony

Didn't we agree last time that we wouldn't be using routing software?
It makes it a bit unfair if some are and some aren't.

trevorr

Visit site
Didn't we agree last time that we wouldn't be using routing software?
It makes it a bit unfair if some are and some aren't.

2nd 'ed.
No skill in just doing what the computer says. IMHO.

We are all proper sailors and should rely on finger in the air and soggy seaweed to make our choices.

Spyro

Visit site
Pendlecats you've missed the start but I can see your tactics you're in 96th position. Are you waiting there til the wind picks up?

TrevB

Visit site
Wow!! I haven't seen this forum so busy for months!! It wasn't until just now that I saw how many YBW boats were taking part and that prompted me to check out the forum. Great to see it so active again :)

Good luck everybody.

Trev

Magaz97

Visit site
Managed to hit the front for a little while, then held 1st of the YBW boats, but I have run out of water and had to head up to catch the wind and give myself sea room.

Its a real SOD watching everyone just sail past you!

trevorr

Visit site
Managed to hit the front for a little while, then held 1st of the YBW boats, but I have run out of water and had to head up to catch the wind and give myself sea room.

Its a real SOD watching everyone just sail past you!

Lifts, Shifts and dodgy Rhumb lines.
Its a bugger when someone puts land in the way isn't it :D
Keep up the good work.

Trev

fireball

Visit site
Glad you guys are having fun ... I haven't got the time to dedicate to the race this time (didn't have last time either!) hence I'm nowhere to be seen ... in fact I'm still in the marina ... :(