RTW with SOL

Sanderling_

Visit site
He's added the ybw prefix.
fing22.gif

May not be in stealth mode but I have realised that it is fatal to go sailing for a day!! Would have also been much warmer in front of a computer and then I might not have been stationary off the Spanish coast for the last 10 hours.

How do you guys manage to do anything else? I think that my life will have to go on hold for the next leg.

Tony

Martin_J

Visit site
Quote - How do you guys manage it?

It's not easy.. and I thought this seemed like a good idea at the time... a quick race to Gibraltar before I go back to work tomorrow!

Seriously... Sleep by the computer... Alarm set for weather broadcasts... print out the next five days of weather charts and work out the best route with pencil/ruler on the train... log in from the train to alter course... Print the polar HUGE (and full circle) to use with a ruler... Connect from laptop wherever I am... Next few months - must tell oneself the boat will steer itself...

DC (delayed commands set) and time for bed...

The joys ybw_mjm!

Magaz97

Visit site
OK...I think I am starting to get to grips with the interface, although I am finding it increasingly difficult to find time to sleep.

Even using delayed commands, I find myself waking at 1am in order to check my VMG and SPEED, just in case I have slipped a few places or missed a change in the wind.

I have not tried TWA commands yet, as I keep seeing boats wandering off and striking land, or doubling back on themselves.

I think I need to set up some sort of watch system, and rope in a crew!

Dipper

Visit site
OK...I think I am starting to get to grips with the interface, although I am finding it increasingly difficult to find time to sleep.

Even using delayed commands, I find myself waking at 1am in order to check my VMG and SPEED, just in case I have slipped a few places or missed a change in the wind.

You're hooked! :D:D:D

I have not tried TWA commands yet, as I keep seeing boats wandering off and striking land, or doubling back on themselves.

I think I need to set up some sort of watch system, and rope in a crew!

TWA is definitely better for upwind or downwind sailing but you are right about the doubling back syndrome. With the pink predictor stick (sounds like a pregnancy testing device) you can see 6 hours ahead unless the weather forecast changes dramatically. If you scroll the weather bar you should be able to see if the wind direction is reasonably consistent. If I am away from the computer and the wind direction is a problem, I do use compass course. I've done that in this race but have lost some places because of it.

The Mediterranean section can be a bit boring at times. It gets more interesting out in the open oceans although even there you can hit big holes for a couple of days or more.

Spyro

Visit site
looks like a late night tonight for the top 2, only 0.6m seperation. Well done guys. Dipper... your plan at the start nearly worked. A good try. I just need to decide when to tack, 5th place is sliping away. :confused:

Magaz97

Visit site
I cant stand the pressure....

Cobblerslast is just on the horizon, yet uncatchable, but .... Victorious is right on my transom and slightly to windward. Overnight delayed course change is going to be a real challenge! oh how am I going to sleep?

Magaz97

Visit site
ybw Victorious...has your lookout has gone to sleep?....TACK!

Where has the wind gone, this could take days to finish, and I am only 45 miles away from the finish!

Well done TREV and mjm

Spyro

Visit site
What happened?

Did anyone else have bother getting to view the race this morn? I thought they had closed it early but just tried again and I see that I've just managed to cross the line with the DCs I set early this morn.

Spyro

Visit site
ybw Victorious...has your lookout has gone to sleep?....TACK!

Where has the wind gone, this could take days to finish, and I am only 45 miles away from the finish!

Well done TREV and mjm

Next Leg starts tomorrow night at 2300hrs

Magaz97

Visit site
This is getting ridiculous.

I am making 1.4 kts (0.9 VMG)

Still got 33 miles to go. There is no wind (well 2.8 kts)

What do I do?

Tony