Royal Dorset Yacht Club - any members here ?

mountain

Visit site
Been going through my Great Grandfather's trunk containing all his docs and suchlike (swords, uniforms etc) from his naval career (Dartmouth 1863, ret.d Commander 1897) and came across two items which may be of interest if the RDYC would like to have them

1. Clothbound "List of Officers, Committees and Members 1913"
2. Hardbound "Rules of The Royal Dorset Yacht Club 1913".

Both in excellent condition. Let me know if the Committee would like to have them. If so give me a contact and I'll post them across.

He was Com. E.H. Richmond and sailed a 26 ton yawl "Siesta". He joined RDYC in 1910.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I used to be a member many years ago.
"Hardbound Rules of The Royal Dorset Yacht Club 1913"
I bet that they haven't changed much since then!

PS contact details here:
http://www.royal-dorset.com/contact-us/4584424848

Last edited:

SimonD

Visit site
I am a member (and webmaster) of the club - celebrating its 140th anniversary this year. We'd be very grateful for these items. You could post to the club FAO the Commodore or direct to me (I'll pm my address).

I'm appalled at LadyinBed's suggestion that the rules haven't changed since 1913 - we allow ladies in now you know!

mountain

Visit site
I am a member (and webmaster) of the club - celebrating its 140th anniversary this year. We'd be very grateful for these items. You could post to the club FAO the Commodore or direct to me (I'll pm my address).

I'm appalled at LadyinBed's suggestion that the rules haven't changed since 1913 - we allow ladies in now you know!

Great. I'll post them direct to The Commodore on Monday. Please let him know that they're on their way.

The rules are fascinating esp those regarding billiards, cardgames and the bedrooms.

Ladies were allowed into the clubhouse on invitation of a member, but not into the Morning Room.

Membership restricted to 500 and a particularly lenient blackballing system (1/5).

The list of members. Wow. A dozen earls, a dozen lords, countless knights and Bts and an HRH......and three LADIES !

SimonD

Visit site
Many thanks.

I'll let the Commodore know, although he'll be trashing round the cans tomorrow in our 140th anniversary regatta!

Although we're a bit short of landed gentry at present (as well as a billiard table and bedrooms) forumites are welcome to visit the clubhouse next time you're in Weymouth. Details on the website: www.royal-dorset.com

Robin

Visit site

Not many of them there creatures about in Weymuff to worry about these days I bet mind:rolleyes: