Rounding Lands End?

oldbilbo

Visit site
A "blue flagger" I'll wager!!!!!

Er, I suspect you'd lose your money. I was drummed out of the Brownies many years ago, and they have a long memory... :rolleyes:

We each of us have different perspectives on how we should best do things. Many of these are entirely valid, and certainly there is no one 'best'. Only what works....

A canny navigator/skipper will listen to all the ideas, go consider what he's heard, then fabricate his 'own way' from what he's heard and evaluated. There's nothing new in that...

Enjoi.

PacketRat

Visit site
Old bloke, early in the season, foul tidal gate, long passage, little boat, no engine.

I want to get to the start of the JC. The scariest part of this jaunt is not the rocks. It's the Northbound TSS.

Matelot Joe

Visit site
DDB'r, my good sir, it's remarkably easy for one to grasp 'the wrong end of the stick' from a cursory read of stuff on the internet - and a good example of that occurs here. Let me try a little harder....

My suggestion, made above, is that it may be helpful to shape one's initial course on passage south from, say, the vicinity of Lundy so that heading into the Isles of Scilly - for shelter, sleep, or to fix something - remains an equal option with turning the corner by running close in down the North Cornish coast..... delaying the commitment until much closer, then considering the weather, the forecast, the sea state, the state of the boat and oneself, etc., before making the decision.

It retains an option. I like options. As a one-time pro navigator paid by HM Queen to squire young and feckless pilots around the European skies, and return 'em safely to their mums at night, I made a practice of having options 'up my sleeve'. But that's me....

I'm stuffed full of old aphorisms, which I mumble to myself, to the schoolboy delight and occasional rage of my fellows. Here's one... "The land claims more ships than the sea."

And that corner continues to claim passing yachtsmen....

A plethra of such wise words, there not paying you enough. :)