Round turn and two half hitches?

Humblebee

Visit site
As shown in RYA Competent Crew and Day Skipper handbooks, Basil Mosenthal's Cockpit Companion and elsewhere, the knot looks like a round turn and a clove hitch, not two half hitches. Look at the knot formed by the working end around the standing part after the round turn has been made and it is a clove hitch, surely? Or am I missing something?

prv

Visit site
I believe this is the only knot that can be undone under load......(yus??)

Well, I can think of at least a tugboat hitch (aka lighterman's hitch, I think they're the same thing). And a tumble hitch can be instantly undone under the sort of moderate load that you'd trust the knot with, although its more common cousin the highwayman's hitch often cannot. There are probably quite a few others.

Pete

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
So, as tied, two half hitches are the same as a clove hitch?
Light is beginning to dawn!

Yep. Although make sure you tie the clove hitch "away" from the round turn. If you tie it in towards the turn, you end up with a buntline hitch (albeit a buntline hitch doesn't normally include a full round turn). As the name implies, this is used for tying buntlines to the foot of a square sail, where some other knots might be shaken loose. It's so secure that after a bit of use and load, it often has to be cut off rather than untied.

Pete

prv

Visit site
They tell me the carrick bend can be undone under load.

Really? I've never tried it, but that seems surprising.

It is relatively easy to undo after being subjected to heavy load, because you have two good places to "break its back". But that's once the load has been removed.

Pete

www.bavariayacht.info
I asked a similar question a few years ago...
Having recently read the article (in either PBO or YM) in which a Round Turn and Two Half-Hitches was voted the strongest knot for a mooring line ...

This thread linked to this image...

RT2HH.png

It turns out that pairs of these are mirror image duplicates, but 1 and 3 are correct, 2 and 4 are not. As I said in my OP linked above, I've seen both in various books.

Incidentally, I've started using a modified version for my fenders, it probably has a name. Clove hitch around the rail, then two half hitches, which it seems form a second clove hitch.

#RT2HH

Last edited:

Boo2

Visit site
So what happens if you tie a RTATHH in one of the wrong ways above ? Presumably it comes loose ?

Boo2