Round Britain - Help appreciated

Ludd

Visit site
4 weeks of rounding a series of unending, (invariably) wind-over-tide headlands, or 4 weeks in the shipping lanes, what's the fun in that?

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE MISSED THE POINT. My young but misguided friend is not going to be doing this for fun,but for a reason. Good luck to him!
He knows I think he's an **** but what the hell ,baby,what the hell!
Go for it ,laddie! Do it anti clockwise,that way,when you're getting cold and pissed off,you'll at least understand the accents!

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
confident

OMG not two!

I am reasonably confident that it will be a while before anyone else with a weird combination of sailing ability, boat repair skills and willingness to film and edit a narrative of the journey combined with a stupidly low budget will be attempting anything similar to KTL.

Given that I think it might now take me a decade to get round the UK I may also be going for another record - unless anyone else on here knows anyone who has done it even more slowly than the slug

Dylan

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Pudduck,

I sailed round the UK mainland in 1983 clockwise without any electronic aids to navigation. It took 8 weeks stopping at many places. It is really quite easy being no more than a series of coastal jaunts. If you can navigate to Coastal Skipper standard and your vessel is well founded then it should be quite straight forward.

There is a lot of information around this subject as if its some great challenge equivalent to an assault on the North pole in Winter, but it is not a difficult challenge at all, just do it is my advice.

The bit around the sandbanks off the East Coast was the most challenging part to me - fog / mist, shallow water, dubious information on the position of sand banks, busy - for a West Coaster that was new to me and subsequently a bit more worrying. I ran aground a few times on weather shores and gave lee shores a good offing where possible.

The best approach to these things is to make your own plans and get on with it. Following other peoples plans or advice can consume valuable preparation time wondering if you are conforming to their experiences and raise undue worry.

Take a lot of time before the voyage to service all the equipment on the boat as I have found that that always takes more time. Check your spares and stock up if short.

Good luck,

BlowingOldBoots
We went round anti clockwise in 2005. The longest sail was Lowestoft to Spurn. The rest were day sails, including going across the north of Scotland.
Go for it and what a worthy cause.