rope on prop disaster

Billjratt

Visit site
Picked up a rope the day of launching.. it pulled the prop back and broke up the flexible coupling on my Nicor/TMP gearbox.
The rubber inserts have "silentbloc FC 1753R" identification.
I can't see anything on the web that resembles my unit and have Emailed Kev at Thamesway, hoping that he may be of assistance.
Meanwhile, any of you folks know of a source of rubbers,bolts,sleeves, or a refurbished centre assembly?
(somebody with a Perkins 4107/8 perhaps?)
PS - this a 1978 cast iron device, not a silent-synthetic..

Amulet

www.flickr.com
These are the people you want:

http://www.randdmarine.com/

I achieved the same as you last year albeit by a different method. A rather enthusiastic kick from forward to reverse.

In fact R and D couldn't supply a coupling for me because my rather agricultural Farymann engine dances around so much I needed more give that most in the coupling.

I gather that R and D are the standard for most purposes though.

Billjratt

Visit site
Thanks folks, but don't see anything like it on those sites.
It's a 2-bolt flange on gearbox and shaft, with an uninjured one of these:

coupling3.jpg

bolted in between....

Ideally I'd like to find a reconditioning service/part-exchange.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Bill. The bushes look a bit like small engine mounts actually. Have you tried McDonalds in Whiteinch? I found them very good when I found that my stern tube was broken and some clown had simply bolted the Cutless housing on to the end of the skeg with lots of silicone sealant. An "engineer" not far from you by the way.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Those look like Metalastic bushes as used in suspension linkage etc in cars of my generation.

Try taking a sample to one of those motor factors who distribute far and wide to big car repair shops as well as Johny under the arches...Often coloured vans driven by blonde dolly birds.

alb40

Visit site
ASAP supplies certainly used to do those 'silentbloc' couplings. So give them a call. If not, try the Seamaster owners association for advice, as these couplings were common on seamaster motorboats with perkins and bmc engines, and tmp boxes. Thornycroft engines therefore may also be a good point of contact to try.

Edit - ASAP supplies part number 808900 looks similar> There is also a larger version which they supply so check that you get the right one.
[image]http://www.asap-supplies.com/store_images/thumb-mark.php?maxd=200&loc=C&name=808900.jpg[/image]

Cliveshep

Visit site
They are called "Layrub" couplings, two holes bolted to the gearbox output flange and the other two to the shaft coupling.

"Layrub coupling
A universal joint using four molded rubber inserts mounted on a round steel plate" from dictionary of automotive terms.

Try this from A.S.A.P:

Product Code 808900 FLEXIBLE SHAFT COUPLING SB9218 SMALL, price online £105.10

Billjratt

Visit site
Well done all you guys who pointed towards ASAP.
I've Emailed to confirm the distance between holes (3.25") and eagerly await a reply.
If the answer is yes, then each of you has excelled today and can claim a prize from the top shelf.
I'm going to get a decent night's sleep tonight, even if let down tomorrow.
Thanks,

Billjratt

Visit site
Oh, it was wrenched out by the shaft going astern until the prop hit the rudder...then one side stopped and the other didn't.
I had actually examined and painted it recently.
I haven't seen the total outside damage yet.
Hope I'm not Phekked for the Clyde Scuttlebutt .

ianabc

Visit site
The red flex coupling on my Yanmar instalation looks good, it's new.

BUT

I have read that the rating for these couplings is so high that they really do not break before damaging the gearbox.