Rocna or Manson Supreme??

Richard10002

Visit site
Having done a bit of research, it seems I can get a 20kg Manson Supreme delivered from the UK to Malta for about £475 or a 27kg for £580.

Or we can pick up a Rocna 25kg for about 600 euros, (£560), in Levkas Marina in Greece, (we plan to sail to the Ionian for Spring/early summer), although it might be nice to use a new anchor on the way there.

Existing anchor is a 45lb CQR copy, (HarbourFast), which held the boat fine in winds up to 27knots in Syracusa in 2007.

I know it's been asked before, and it's my decision, but what would you do - particularly if you already have one of the anchors?

Cheers

Richard

mixmaster

Visit site
Here we go. Although the debate as I've seen it is "why pay more for a Rocna when they're really pretty much the same". In your case, I would go for Rocna as the price seems the same.

A

Anonymous

Richard, I was about to order a Rocna....had the cash in EUR in my palm, ready to take it to the bank for Tx to NZ (they used not to have a European agent) and before going down I double-checked the size and how it would fit on my bow roller, etc. Turned out that it would have needed truly massive modifications to the pulpit and bowroller.

Before you order a new anchor, I suggest you fake one up out of cardboard, bamboo, wire coat hangars, and bits, and offer it up. A heavy anchor on the bow needs a lot of support. Otherwise, ask a fellow Moody 44 owner if they have experience of fitting one. Rocna gave me seriously bad advice about how it would fit to the Nauticat 42 -- though to be fair, the N42 is not an NZ yacht. But then neither is a M44.

rich

www.portofjersey.je
I got my Rocna 25 for £120,second hand, still in wrapper first owner bought on internet, his boat was 19 ft /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

saltwater_gypsy

www.saltwatergypsy.com
Has any anybody asked about anchors before???
I get a bit confused!!!
Are these anchors the ones which get interfaced with furling systems and chartplotters and sometimes get involved with single line reefing systems and anode protection systems!!!!
The answer is probably YES.
Back to bed ---cheers /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

crisjones

Visit site
When we bought our boat 3 1/2 yrs ago she happened to be rafted alongside a couple who had just completed an 8 yr circumnavigation on a 38ft catamaran.

They did most of the route with a CQR that they reckoned was "just about OK" but it had caused a few sleepless nights etc.

When they came up into the Med from Suez they bought a local made "Bugel" copy for about £50.00 in Turkey, they reckoned it was brilliant compared to the CQR. They said it set first time and very quickly in almost any conditions and they knew that once set they were happily anchored whatever the weather might do.

Overall they said it was the best £50 they spent in 8 yrs and would have happily paid much more for the confidence it gave.

So it might be worth waiting until you get over that way, you might save alot of money and get an equally reliable anchor, after all you can still buy the Rocna or Manson in that area if you have to.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
At the risk of being drawn into violent argument, suffice to say that after 15 years of happy Delta use I dragged a few times on it in the eastern Med and changed to a Rocna. In one season's use, anchoring virtually every night for six months, I never dragged and only rarely had problems setting it through eel grass and very mixed bottoms.

You might be interested in looking at Ancoralatina I have had some exchanges with the designer/manufacturer, who seems to know what he is talking about. When I last enquired, about three months ago, the price for an anchor for my boat was well under £200. I'm not certain what weight this was, as he recommends much lighter anchors than many others.

AncoraLatina

www.ancoralatina.com
[ QUOTE ]

You might be interested in looking at Ancoralatina - ....the price for an anchor for my boat was well under £200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks vyv_cox for your kind note.

Price list is on http://www.ancoralatina.com/acolhimento/ingles/distributors/Price_list.html

Shiping costs on request (depend of the size)

DSCN4826-R-R.jpg

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Richard
I have the larger Manson supreme - its brilliant. However which is best? I would imagine that they are both pretty similar. Go for the larger Manson, and I think the decision rests on whether you want to use it between Malta and Greece - which I would imagine is a BIG YES!!!! You will really not believe the difference between the CQR and the Mansons - Since changing, I have never failed to set first time - even in weed. So don't wait.

Might see you in Greece at end of 2009 if we get to Preveza or where ever by then! (currently in Portsmouth)

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Richard - I will try and take a photo of how it fits in the Westerly Oceanlord - which was a straight fit, other than drilling a hole for the pin at the bow roller. SHould be able to do this by the W/E. If the set up on the moody is similar, I would see no problems - but as Lemain says - worth checking!!!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
That looks like a very good price.

Before I bought my Rocna I enquired from a German supplier about buying a Bugel. Their advice was that I needed one of 22kg, whereas the Rocna and Delta were 14-15 kg. My boat is only around 6 tonnes, so not too sure about the Compass24 table. I didn't fancy 22 kg on the bow roller, so decided not to bother with that one. The price I was offered was a lot more than Compass' though.

steveallan

Visit site
I have a manson, bought winter 2006, great anchor but sometimes fails to dig in first time. Reason for this seems to be because it landed upside down and did not turn over. Still much better than the CQR I used before this. I would be suprised if there was any significant difference between the manson and the rocna. Have not experienced winds above force 8 in sheltered waters yet.

Steve

Mrnotming

Visit site
Hi Richard & all others, I bought a Delta 20kg in Ostia,near Rome, and was very pleased with its performance.I think I will revert to a tested shackle to attach it from this season onwards, as the side loads are unacceptable with an anchor connector and I may lose the anchor at a bad moment.I will miss the action of the connector in getting the anchor the right way around for the bow roller, but better safe thqn sorry!vessel is 6000kgs or 13,000lbs light, bit more junk onboard now! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

geoff3nebel

Visit site
On my Westerly Oceanlord I have a 20Kg Delta that I bought two years ago to replace a CQR. I, too, am a little nervous about the side loads on the s/s swiveling anchor connector that I bought from Plastimo. The tested shackle I used initially would jam in the (fixed) bow roller if it wasn't aligned perfectly every time which is why I switched to a connector. The Delta hasn't let me down, but it can be awkward to handle in a chop.
While sailing back from Thailand on a BeneteauF45 in Feb/Mar 2006 I was very impressed with the performance of its Bugel anchor which always set first time and held even in gale force winds and scary gusts in the Red Sea in circumstances that would otherwise require a change of underwear...
I'm thinking of buying a 20Kg Bugel and for 150 quid it will be money well spent, and it should stow neatly.
Is there anyone out there who's using a Bugel and would like to add their comments? Should I go heavier...? 22Kg?