Robins Timber have their saw removed

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Went there a few days ago to buy three different widths of wood to make some dresser shelves only to find that H&S have decreed it too much of a risk for a wood yard to have a saw. A wonderful service withdrawn, but I wonder if it is the mgt doing a cost saving.

I don't know how many times I've bought sheet wood cut to the width I needed over the years. At least they will still do half sheets both long and wide.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Went there a few days ago to buy three different widths of wood to make some dresser shelves only to find that H&S have decreed it too much of a risk for a wood yard to have a saw. A wonderful service withdrawn, but I wonder if it is the mgt doing a cost saving.

I don't know how many times I've bought sheet wood cut to the width I needed over the years. At least they will still do half sheets both long and wide.
It's happening all over.
I'm guessing that you now need only a trained sawyer to do it for all the modern reasons. There was always a fear that customers got too close to the machinery and employers feared action being taken against them. You cant really blame them.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Is that the big panel saw at the back on the warehouse? It was a wonderful beast for getting clean cuts across plywood but watching the guys operate it in a fairly casual manner while members of the public wander about with long 2x4s on their shoulders you could see the potential for trouble.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
A timber merchant without a saw sounds like as much use as a garage without a spanner or a barber's without a pair of scissors.

Surely this can't be serious?
Root and branch apparently. I know their CEO, Tim Burr, and he reckons they could see der trouble coming long ago.
It does seem very strange that a wood merchant can't have a saw! And if they saw it coming, why didn't they find out what was needed to meet/exceed the regulatory burden? This is entirely a guess, but I imagine the problem might have been twofold - having the saw in an area accessible to customers and/or untrained staff, and staff needing adequate training and supervision. After all, most places that have such a big panel saw have it in the same area as the wood stock, where people can wander around to choose what they need, and it's usually operated by the warehouse staff. But both issues should be surmountable, with fairly minimal cost - partition off the bay where the saw operates, and give staff training - which they probably already have, but make sure there's something documented and on file.

However, I note that my local hardwood supplier won't cut wood for you; you have to buy a whole plank.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
It’s not just the saw risks, there is a load of occupational exposure limits around breathing in wood dust that has to be managed as well as the explosion risk from wood dust. It soon becomes a bit of an engineering effort to control these risks, which may not be worth it.

Just an opinion, perhaps irrelevant to the case in point.

Boathook

Visit site
My local wood place has an 'upright' circular saw with a barrier to keep people away. The unit also has a dust extraction unit so no mess. I suspect all standard stuff off the shelf so to speak. They will cut a plank, etc, but who have to buy the whole lot.

Keith 66

Visit site
THe HSE are not in the business of telling people they cant do something unless there is a good reason. Woodworking machines like saws can be dangerous but if you are sensible & take the right precautions there should not be a problem.
Preventing public access to areas can be done with barriers, Extraction in places like that is usually in place, I suspect that someone is using the HSE as a cop out quoting "They made us do it" as an excuse to get rid of it.
I worked in education until relatively recently & came across similar instances where perfectly servicable machines were got rid of because they failed modern H&S legislation, Usually this was PUWER 98 where machines have to stop within 10 seconds of the stop button being pressed. We lost a perfect condition Startrite bandsaw & Arboga Milling machine because of this rule, The Arboga only failed because in bottom gear it ran on for 11 seconds! Retro fitting braking to both was too expensive or not possible so they were "scrapped". problems in guarding or safety switching will do the same. Do it right & HSE wont fail it!

Im not complaining though, the Startrite & Arboga now live in my workshop at home!