RM Factory visit (Lots of Photos)

rwoofer

Visit site
I visited the RM factory recently to see my RM880 in build. Since there was a little bit of interest I thought I would post a few pictures of my visit.

First of all RMs are a very different type of boat. They are designed by Marc Lombard (of Open 60, Figaro 2, Jeaneau Sun Fast 35 fame) as fast cruisers. Key features:
- They are made of epoxy/plywood, because this makes a lighter, stiffer, stronger more environmentally friendly boat. Marc seems to be a fan of plywood as he apparently still owns his original plywood design.
- They have twin keels so that they can dry out.
- All the boats in the range have a technical room, where all the technical bits of a boat are brilliantly accessible.
- Deck saloon with proper forward facing windows.
My boat will be on show at SBS and will be the first RM in the country. To my mind they are very special with a brilliant compromise of performance and cruising practicality. The bigger sister, the RM 1050, was reviewed in this months YM.

More details can be found at RM Yachts .

The first stage of the build process is to create the plywood planks and assemble them over a mannequin:

DSC_0629.JPG

The plywood planks are in the centre and on the left you can see them built on the mannequin. Once the basic shell is built and epoxied up, they take the shell off the mannequin and then glass in and fillet (all with epoxy) all of the bulkheads to create an eggbox structure that gives the RM it's rigidity:

DSC_0898.JPG

The keels are attached to a galvanised steel sub-frame to distribute the loads. This sub-frame is bolted and glassed in to the hull:

DSC_0896.JPG

Bear in mind this is a 28 foot boat with the keels bolted into this structure. Very confidence inspiring. The hull has several of the 7 or so layers of paint sprayed on:

DSC_0877.JPG

This is my actual boat, hull no. 20. The edges are left because when the deck goes on it is glued, screwed and glassed on. Again another piece of confidence inspiring engineering, especially on such a small boat. The inside is painted as well before the general fit out occurs. Here is the technical room of my boat:

DSC_0862.JPG

All of the boat systems will be accessible from the technical room. You can see the charger and mains distribution on the left. The water pump on the lower centre. The calorifier lower right. The engine is a volvo D1-20. The fuel tank just out of picture is opaque plastic that can be removed for cleaning by disconnecting the hoses and undoing some straps. Here is a picture of what will be the chart table:

DSC_0867.JPG

And here is a picture looking forward:

DSC_0870.JPG

And the stern:

DSC_0875.JPG

Look at the width of the stern!! This is what allows the boat to reach some considerable speeds downwind - a clear open 60 influence. Here is a picture of the underside of the deck:

DSC_0883.JPG

And the cockpit:

DSC_0894.JPG

That was about it for the factory. I said it was a twin keel boat, so here is a picture of the keels and rudder:

DSC_0911.JPG

How many bilge keels do you see with a shape like that! The keels are based on the Figaro 2 design that Marc Lombard put a lot of effort into. This is why you get fin keel performance with what is a bilge keeler. The wings on the rudder are to stop it sinking too far into soft mud. Here is a picture of it's bigger sister beached in the Scilly Isles to give you an idea:

ohoui_st_agnes_scilly.jpg

And finally here is what the end result will look something like:

DSC_0664_sm.JPG

Mine will be a slighter darker blue (you have a choice of over 200 hull colours!).

It is so informative to see your own boat in build. RM Yachts have been a pleasure to deal with. There has been no pushiness, they have performed non-standard modifications without fuss and really have made the boat buying experience a pleasure.

What do you think?

rwoofer

Visit site
There was a modification to the boat last month that allows 3 wine bottles to be stored in the saloon table...definitely going to have to seek out further storage options!!

Better get my thinking hat on - feel another modification coming along!

Sent you a PM by the way.

boguing

Visit site
Read the news bit In YM (I think?) - and thought 'about time someone did it properly'. Glassfibre deck and who cares if it's got chines. You can't see them when you're on it. Hull damage? Get the chisels and one hour epoxy out, sorted.

Great designer, you will be very happy with it. Top marks for a bold choice.

Any chance of an invite - me and two kids?

Allan

Visit site
A French boat without wine storage? Surely not, I thought even the Figaros had one? Still it is a very pretty boat and the keel/rudder design looks as good as I've seen! good luck with her in the future.
Allan

Q

quimby

How do you spell jellous?
Looks great ! whats the excitement factor on the scale of 1 to 10?

bendyone

Visit site
Looks very good and a professional build. Bet you cant wait till its on the water /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rwoofer

Visit site
The excitement factor is 11 out of 10, which seems to be common to all RM owners. The factory used to allow unlimited visits, but people were going 10 times during the build to get their fix, so you are now limited to 2 visits.

Here is another picture of the hull just before it comes off the mannequin:

jpg_DSC00946.jpg

And here is another picture to give you a better view of the factory:

jpg_DSC00948.jpg

They seem to have a continuous production line of the 3 models in the range and take around 3 months to build from start to finish. All the boats are hand made, the only exception is all the wood which is laser cut off-site.

I don't know if I mentioned but it sails beautifully, the helm has a wonderful feel and she tracks unbelieveably well upwind. I think that it is a combination of twin keels and the chines that make it track so well, as wide boats aren't exactly renowned for tracking well. We were doing about 5.3 knots upwind in about 7-8 knots of windspeed. A couple of shots of the RM on the water:

jpg_RM880_002-2.jpg

jpg_RM880_003.jpg

davidwf

Visit site
Ever since Matthew Porter got hold of me athe LBS and told me about the RM 880 I have been looking at them with great interest, I sail single haanded a lot so look forward to seeing how you get on with her.

Must say I am very envious.

graham

Visit site
Very impressive. Not at all jealous.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifThe open stern may not be to everyones taste but will drain a full cockpit in seconds ,getting in or out of a dinghy would be a doddle as would hauling a Man over board back in.

Sybarite

Visit site
It's big sister, the 10.50, was boat of the year in France when it came out.

A French yachting magazine is running a competition whereby they propose to lend you an RM for one year on the basis of the most interesting sailing programme proposed. The trip is then serialized in the magazine. The last one was a group of young guys on a 10m50 doing a tour of the Atlantic. This year, it a family on the 12m doing a history themed tour of the Mediterranean.

Some enterprising UK builder would get a lot of media exposure for relatively little cost (they still own the boat) if they did the same.

What about it Yachting Monthly?

John