"Rip off" Britain again

greeny

Visit site
I've just had a message from my Portuguese phone sim provider Meo. They say that although UK is now outside the EU, their phone prices will continue as before and there will be no increase in charges for UK calls or data.
Last month I had a message from GiffGaff my UK sim provider that because Britain is now outside the EU and costs are higher to access Europe they will introduce roaming charges for all calls and data abroad.
Why do we put up with this rip off?

Davy_S

Visit site
Last month I had a message from GiffGaff my UK sim provider that because Britain is now outside the EU and costs are higher to access Europe they will introduce roaming charges for all calls and data abroad.
Are you sure its not a data cap, or because you are limited to so many days overseas? i have just bought a goodybag from giffgaff, there are no roaming charges overseas on it, it is as it always was, 8 gig data and free calls.

Stemar

Visit site
Some providers have reintroduced roaming charges, others haven't. Since it's a change in conditions, I wouldn't expect to pay to dump a contract with a supplier that does. And I would dump them if I had any choice.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Only to be expected. The U.K. will be turned back into treasure island again, devoid of the EU protections that created free roaming (and removed the price premium for RHD cars).

If you were a mutinational telecoms company and it became legal to re-introduce roaming charges for a territory that previously didn't have them, what would you do as CEO?

The rest will follow pretty quickly ... there has never been EU roaming in Switzerland - as many have found out to their cost - I expect the UK to be the same once the dust settles.

capnsensible

Visit site
The Spanish arm is Movistar, possibly the most complained about provider I've come across.
We didn't really have a problem with Movistar. But moved to Lobster with a really good deal. ?

My snag was not looking at phone properly before texting whilst sailing in the Gib Straits and the phone getting 'captured' by a Moroccan net and ending up with a major credit drain. My fault though.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
We didn't really have a problem with Movistar. But moved to Lobster with a really good deal. ?

My snag was not looking at phone properly before texting whilst sailing in the Gib Straits and the phone getting 'captured' by a Moroccan net and ending up with a major credit drain. My fault though.
Used to get that in Corsica with picking Italian providers on the East cost.

ean_p

Visit site
I've just had a message from my Portuguese phone sim provider Meo. They say that although UK is now outside the EU, their phone prices will continue as before and there will be no increase in charges for UK calls or data.
Why do we put up with this rip off?
Maybe I'm reading what your saying incorrectly, but aren't Giffgaff over a barrel because greedy European networks can now charge them heavily to use their networks whereas the lucky Portuguese can still get a cheap service because there are no additionally imposed charges by the UK networks even though we've now left the protection of the EU rules and they could if they wanted heavily increase the cost to the Portuguese networks to use their systems...?? Or maybe the Portuguese are been magnanimous and absorbing all these additional costs!

greeny

Visit site
Maybe I'm reading what your saying incorrectly, but aren't Giffgaff over a barrel because greedy European networks can now charge them heavily to use their networks whereas the lucky Portuguese can still get a cheap service because there are no additionally imposed charges by the UK networks even though we've now left the protection of the EU rules and they could if they wanted heavily increase the cost to the Portuguese networks to use their systems...?? Or maybe the Portuguese are been magnanimous and absorbing all these additional costs!
Thanks for your suggestion and I really wish I could believe that this is the case, but I remain unconvinced. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site

The end-game will be that EU users will no longer have free roaming in the UK, and UK users will no longer have free roaming in the EU.

If telecoms providers are no longer legally compelled to provide free roaming, why on earth would any of them ignore a revenue stream that their competitors are making a profit out of?

Before legislation, none of them saw a business case for providing free european roaming .... now we've taken back control, both UK and EU network providers are freed from the shackles of this legislation and can return to fleecing any customers who travel between the UK and the EU.

ean_p

Visit site
The end-game will be that EU users will no longer have free roaming in the UK, and UK users will no longer have free roaming in the EU.

If telecoms providers are no longer legally compelled to provide free roaming, why on earth would any of them ignore a revenue stream that their competitors are making a profit out of?

Before legislation, none of them saw a business case for providing free european roaming .... now we've taken back control, both UK and EU network providers are freed from the shackles of this legislation and can return to fleecing any customers who travel between the UK and the EU.
Absolutely and it seems that the Europeans have got there first with the increase in charges to UK providers...hence the bigger bills, unlike the lucky Portuguese who seem to still be enjoying 'sheltered' rates!