Rigging Screws

alec

Visit site
I am renewing my rigging this year.

I would be grateful for knowledge concerning rigging screws.

Stainless or Chromed/Bronze ?

Stainless are much cheaper, but I would like to know the drawbacks and benifts of both types.

Many Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
What size is your boat? If you can afford it, go for Bronze bodies with stainless screwed in ends - the threads will always work perfectly and not 'gall' up(ie - jam up completely).
Otherwise Stainless, but the threads can 'gall' and be unworkable, but saying that my present 27' boat has Hasselfors stainless turnbuckles and they work fine.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

isandell

Visit site
We had ss Hasselfor rigging screws on Sea Holly (SEamaster 29) and they were prone to galling, making the threads bind up. Lubrications before adjusting helped. They were over 20 years old when we replaced them and still servicable, just difficult to adjust.

When we replaced the rigging, we used chromed bronze Hasselfors bodies - much easier to adjust. I dont remember them being much more expensive but maybe that was just compared with the total cost of the rigging.

Conclusion I suppose is that chromed bronze is better, but ss will do.

Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Alec,

Definitely go for the bronze if cost is a secondary consideration to quality. As others have said, they will always run smoothly and not gall. The additional advantage is that, subject there being no physical damage, they can be used again and again when you renew the rigging.

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
As well as galling (avoidable with care) stainless can, in theory, fail without warning due to crevice corrosion. In practice this is extremely rare.

I don't think phosphor-bronze is as strong though, I have had a bronze rigging screw fail.

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
Had yet another intermediate shroud failure at our club last sunday on a 22 fter while racing. (bent the mast probably to ruination)It happened to another friend last season. So yes you need to replace the cable but I have not heard of turnscrews failing although I have been told by a salesman you should reoplace them every second cable replacement. (but I don't) Every winter I take apart my bronze/stainless turnscrews and liberally coat with grease. They can corrode to be unmoveable quite quickly. (forecast 33 dgrees for the race this Sunday but then who is crowing?) will;

<hr width=100% size=1>