Rigging Replacement

Slowboater33

Visit site
Been out of boating for a few years, now retired and just had quote for standing rigging at 3.5k. for 30 foot boat, including stepping and setting up. Is that reasonable in today's world. My last boat was 20 years ago, so tad out of touch.
Cheers

MoodySabre

Visit site
I had my Moody 31 done two years ago. Rigging was about £1400 by DRS (Dave Nicols) stepping and stepping by the marina was less than £200 from memory. Lifting in and out would be extra of course. £3.5k sounds a lot but you don’t say where your boat is.

Slowboater33

Visit site
Hi MoodySabre, Thanks for reply, it's in Ipswich, Fox's, everyone seems to say they do a good job on the forum. Your right the crane fee is 200. Boat is ashore waiting my return from foreign parts.
I wonder if the permit outside guys in

prestomg27

Visit site
I had my Moody 31 done two years ago. Rigging was about £1400 by DRS (Dave Nicols) stepping and stepping by the marina was less than £200 from memory. Lifting in and out would be extra of course. £3.5k sounds a lot but you don’t say where your boat is.
Another vote for Dave. He did mine for slightly more than that but I had a few halyards as well that he supplied.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Last year I paid circa £3100 on a fractionally rigged (11/12)31 ft yacht. That included a new model 320 profurl furler with the adjustable attachment extra part.
I paid them to come to the boat & quote & get the lengths correct whilst the boat was in the water as the rig was slack & I wanted some lengths shortened.That was before I even placed an order

They gave me a decent discount on the furler & stuck to all dates etc. There was a price increase on the furler & I was surprised that they had obtained the furler before that so I did not get hit with it even though the boat was not ready for 3 months. They did not ask for the money either. They just held it in stock for me.

Once boat was on the hard & mast already on the ground. TS rigging replaced everything. Yard put the mast back. TS came back to make a small adjustment. I had to buy 4 spreader boots as TS could not find them & I knew the make of mast & supplier etc so it was convenient. From memory Bradwell charged about £200 for the drop & same for the hoist of the mast. I made sure all running rigging & electrics were released first & reconnected myself. I tensioned rig myself using loos guage

If anybody wants to buy a complete set of 10 year old rigging (furler already sold) to cut down for a smaller project boat then PM me

Last edited:

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
Fox's do a great job but they are very busy with Oysters. You may find a local rigging guy can help more quickly - especially if the mast is down. Try Adie Gilson (AD Rigging) or Anto Stopps (Anto's YAcht Services)

Baddox

Visit site
That seems expensive. I re-rigged our similar sized boat just before lock-down and it cost under£1k without replacing the bottle screws.

As your mast is already unstepped you’ll have easy access to measure the rigging, note the terminal fittings and either take the details to a rigging company or input them into the Jimmy Green calculator to get a quick and easy estimate for the materials. Stainless Steel 1x19 Wire Rope Rigging with KOS Wire | Jimmy Green Marine

After that, fitting the new rigging is straight forward. You could get a rigger to tension it all, or buy yourself a tension gauge with some of the money you save.
Details of how and why are in the Selden guide https://support.seldenmast.com/files/1605537330/595-540-E.pdf

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Fox's do a great job but they are very busy with Oysters. You may find a local rigging guy can help more quickly - especially if the mast is down. Try Adie Gilson (AD Rigging) or Anto Stopps (Anto's YAcht Services)
+1 for Adie. He did mine 2 years ago; about half what you've been quoted and he spotted and put right several things that I wasn't aware of.

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
With mast out, lay out the stays and measure end to end. Send of to you preferred manufacturer with the end fitting details (eyes, t-ball or threaded end, whatever). I used S3i for mine. They were the best price I could find.

bluerm166

Visit site
As james suggests - I would add Jimmy Green as fabricator and supplier .You have the ability on their website to fully price the rig and a defined method of measuring up if your happy with your own figures.Alternative - send them the old rig to match plus any alterations required.Use a rigger if you are not confident to set up.

Groucho

Visit site
Evolution rigging just quoted me £2,000+VAT for a 28 footer. I will probably also need a new furler - does anyone have advice on best makes/types and rough cost for that?

Daydream believer

Visit site
2022/2023
£3150 for a new rig (not running) on a 11/12 fractional 31 ft complete with new Pro Furl inc extra for an adjustable inner section to the furler. Add to that yard cost of dropping & re fitting the mast after rigger came, measured up, fitted to mast, but did not attend mast fitting. I did the slacking the rig & re tensioning & re connecting electrics to save yard costs all which was extra to the £3k So I doubt that you are far out.

Slowboat35

Visit site
For a comparison you might want to contact Tim Kingston of Kingston Rigging, Lowestoft. If you take th boat to him he has his own crane on his wharf. I believe he does work on the Orwell too.
Bottom line is he does absolutely excellent work and a very nice guy to deal with. Being a two-man band his overheads are low and that's reflected in his prices.
He's also an outstanding stainless fabricator.