Ria de Alvor

Visit site
Yeah I think it has to be Lagos. I filled up a few jerry cans in Sopromar after I asked permission. I had just bought a bunch of stuff from there. Still, some of the yard workers were unimpressed and got the radio to their bosses.

I was told the water there is more expensive so they don't allow people to use it, and that I should do to the fuel dock by the marina.

They weren't really very friendly about it considering I'd been in and out of the chandlery for two days. The guys in the chandlery were great though, very helpful indeed. Even to the point of going and driving into town to pick up a part for me. Shame about the prices in Sopromar, it's a good 30% more expensive on almost everything.

Alvor doesn't really have much going for it IMO. You get constant wake from the tourist boats not matter where you anchor. In the pool by the entrance you've got wakeboarding or similar. You can't really swim there, and it's still not protected from the wind.

I prefer Praia de Boião for shelter from the North and North - West, which is where the wind seems to come from every day in this region at a rate of 15-30 knts.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Yes, the wind is seeming to be worse this year than previous years, Late afternoon early evening it can get strong. I went up to Sagres 10 days ago for the weekend and had 35 gusting 40 from the North. Didn't expect it and it made for a lively trip. Not very nice on the hook either. Kept anchor watch all night as I wasn't comfortable there. Generally the wind gets less, the further east you come. Still that late afternoon blow though.

Hadenough

Visit site
Yeah I think it has to be Lagos. I filled up a few jerry cans in Sopromar after I asked permission. I had just bought a bunch of stuff from there. Still, some of the yard workers were unimpressed and got the radio to their bosses.

I was told the water there is more expensive so they don't allow people to use it, and that I should do to the fuel dock by the marina.

They weren't really very friendly about it considering I'd been in and out of the chandlery for two days. The guys in the chandlery were great though, very helpful indeed. Even to the point of going and driving into town to pick up a part for me. Shame about the prices in Sopromar, it's a good 30% more expensive on almost everything.

Alvor doesn't really have much going for it IMO. You get constant wake from the tourist boats not matter where you anchor. In the pool by the entrance you've got wakeboarding or similar. You can't really swim there, and it's still not protected from the wind.

I prefer Praia de Boião for shelter from the North and North - West, which is where the wind seems to come from every day in this region at a rate of 15-30 knts.

Sounds like fun!

Heckler

Visit site
Yes, the wind is seeming to be worse this year than previous years, Late afternoon early evening it can get strong. I went up to Sagres 10 days ago for the weekend and had 35 gusting 40 from the North. Didn't expect it and it made for a lively trip. Not very nice on the hook either. Kept anchor watch all night as I wasn't comfortable there. Generally the wind gets less, the further east you come. Still that late afternoon blow though.

How far in did you anchor?

greeny

Visit site
How far in did you anchor?

Over to the right, east, just before the "windsurfing beach. Found a patch of sand between the rocks and got a hold there in 7m at hw. Unfortunately with the wind direction, the end of the harbour wall was directly downwind so thats why we kept anchor watch. There was another boat already anchored in the area nearer to the harbour that was on an extremely long rode. It was shearing side to side over a large area and meant there was no room for us.

Visit site
I learned today that there is supposed to be a 3 knt speed limit in the pool/harbour area.

There is one guy in his 20s-30s maybe, he pilots a tourist boat with white topsides and an orange stripe at the top. He comes in at what much be 20 knts or more. Today he slowed down because there were two rowers in the way. He was about 70-100m from the dock. As soon as the rowers were out of the way he did the last 70m full speed again.

If they enforced the speed limit it would be much calmer here.

greeny

Visit site
Surprised they slowed down at all. They dont bother normally.
I was in the Portimao anchorage last week and the dolphin boats seem to have included the anchorage in their entertainment now and some of them are going through at 25 knts plus. Even with swimmers in the water. Something bad is going to happen before too long with these idiots. Couple them with the jetskier groups that have now arrived from Spain and its getting dangerous out there. All the PM seem interested in is whether youve paid you light dues.