Rewire confussion

steveeasy

Visit site
Ive removed the old switch panels from my boat as there was no logic to how it worked and most of the time it didn’t.

Now I’ve stripped all the bits and bobs that’s been added over the 50 odd years I’ve put a new panel in. New buzz bar and it will be simple to finish it up nice and tidy and hopefully safe.
However my electronics which consists of Autohelm stuff. I chopped the three wires from the old panal and another wire red and yellow. Now I’ve no idea what they are. Should be simple but I’ve not a clue when it comes to this wiring. Anyone shed a bit of light. Ive attached a pic of the old panal where the wires were cut. Perhaps someone can identify what there are ?

Thanks
Steveeasy

Attachments

• 74DFC272-2F9D-48DE-8CA6-A872F76D254F.jpeg
    74DFC272-2F9D-48DE-8CA6-A872F76D254F.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 4EB1E396-C7D6-4036-B49A-DA32CDB6D170.jpeg
    4EB1E396-C7D6-4036-B49A-DA32CDB6D170.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 87
  • C0504A86-66B0-4500-8490-EC3BE8A6CF34.jpeg
    C0504A86-66B0-4500-8490-EC3BE8A6CF34.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
You will need to go to the 'other end' of the wires in question and trace them back to the panel. That might give you a clue what they were used for.

Personally, I'd like to keel haul all the old bodgers from the 'golden age' of sailing who added stuff willy-nilly thinking that their inspired solution would make sense to anybody in 25 years time!

steveeasy

Visit site
Sorry, but it's impossible to tell anything from a picture of a jumble of cut wires.
Well there is no hope then.!! I’ve identified the 3 black wires they are my tri light and anchor .

So my real confussion is my old auto helm electronics. I’m thinking the red and yellow may be its power supply.

Steveeasy

Boathook

Visit site
You will need to go to the 'other end' of the wires in question and trace them back to the panel. That might give you a clue what they were used for.

Personally, I'd like to keel haul all the old bodgers from the 'golden age' of sailing who added stuff willy-nilly thinking that their inspired solution would make sense to anybody in 25 years time!
I've been guilty of that. But then 25 years ago I never thought that I would have AIS, MFD, repeater instruments, solar panels, etc. If I was starting again it would be a lot neater.

Hindsight is wonderful !

Boathook

Visit site
Well there is no hope then.!! I’ve identified the 3 black wires they are my tri light and anchor .

So my real confussion is my old auto helm electronics. I’m thinking the red and yellow may be its power supply.

Steveeasy
The power supply for my autohelm is red and black. I think that you need to trace the wires.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Steveeasy
No. Red is positive, black or shield is negative, yellow is data. You can just connect all Seatalk yellow wires together, either daisy chained or in a connector.

steveeasy

Visit site

The power supply for my autohelm is red and black. I think that you need to trace the wires.
ok question. That power supply for autohelm where does it go to. How does it feed all the displays? Is there another wire to provide the signal/data? I suppose if I knew how it worked I’d be able to fix it. It all worked until I touched it.
I’ve a depth
Steering compass
Tri data
At chart table I’ve
GPS and another depth

I’ve a compass Uber the bunk with a junction box. If I had a clue how it functioned Id have an idea how to proceed

Steveeasy

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've been guilty of that. But then 25 years ago I never thought that I would have AIS, MFD, repeater instruments, solar panels, etc. If I was starting again it would be a lot neater.

Hindsight is wonderful !

Nothing to do with hindsight, all about clear labeling, good use of buzz bars proper fusing and updated diagrams.

When I bought my current boat I removed the switch panel to be confronted with a rats nest of wires. The battery bank was just as bad. When asking the old owners how it worked, I was especially interested in the mess of wiring that was the charging system, I was told, 'I have no idea, it just works'. I had a Victor Meldrew moment.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
ok question. That power supply for autohelm where does it go to. How does it feed all the displays? Is there another wire to provide the signal/data? I suppose if I knew how it worked I’d be able to fix it. It all worked until I touched it.
I’ve a depth
Steering compass
Tri data
At chart table I’ve
GPS and another depth

I’ve a compass Uber the bunk with a junction box. If I had a clue how it functioned Id have an idea how to proceed

Steveeasy
@steveeasy

Do you have any good books on boat electrics?

steveeasy

Visit site
There is a plan
@steveeasy

Do you have any good books on boat electrics?
no
Arggghhhhhhh

Busbar, not buzz bar (pet hate) :mad::cry:
Much better, i can see where everything goes now ;)
great so you can see a plan. Top trunking has the positive cables from lights etc.
The lower trunking Carries supply from panel.
Third trunking has negatives from lights etc.
I’ll run a negative from panel to neg busbar
Then my supply to 1-2 switch. Bit over the top on trunking but it keeps it tidy and then I can add the additional stuff easily like usb sockets, chart plotter, and tiller pilot .

It’s the old Autohelm I’m struggling with
Steveeasy

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Well mine is low tide and high tide when it is low water and high water.
Yes, that one too. We could have a new thread on pet hates :giggle:

I have a list.
I did label most of it how’re 2 months later any sign of pen ink had disappeared from the masking tape. Perhaps I should have used good labels!
Brother label printer.