Rewire confussion

steveeasy

Visit site
Great got it working. Red is positive and shield negative!!

Not sure why it’s working without connecting the yellow but I’ll sort that bit. I’ve searched for info about the Autohelm. Is this seatalk ?

Steveeasy

onesea

Visit site
Thoughts for you. Did you have a switch that turned on your autopilot? Do the instruments/ auto pilot even go near the switchboard?

I am going through this now addition of Solar AIS Etc. I bought a Dymo machine every wire is getting labelled. It’s taken 18 months slowly so far of finding “random” junctions and identifying without stripping half the trim to find out where a random wire goes.

It’s a PITA it will not look tidy, however if taken apart every wire will be identifiable, at every junction, easy to identify change or remove. As I am sure that in my ownership there will be “new essentials” to add.

The nightmare I am having in doing this is the in-line fuses. Some units have them others don’t, some are by the unit others at the other end of the wire. How do you indicate that other than very long Dymo labels.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Great got it working. Red is positive and shield negative!!

Not sure why it’s working without connecting the yellow but I’ll sort that bit. I’ve searched for info about the Autohelm. Is this seatalk ?

Steveeasy
Yes, it's Seatalk. It will work fine without connecting the yellow (data) wire, that's just for interconnecting with the other Seatalk instruments, it's optional.

RupertW

Visit site
I’m intrigued now as a long term user if the terms low and high tide. What possible confusion could happen from using those common terms compared to low and high water? What does low tide mean otherwise?
Well mine is low tide and high tide when it is low water and high wate

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I’m intrigued now as a long term user if the terms low and high tide. What possible confusion could happen from using those common terms compared to low and high water? What does low tide mean otherwise?
Technically speaking the tide is the movement of water. What we are actually interested in is the height of water at any moment in time. Low water and high water are two moments that we take great interest in as we can make all sorts of calculations from them.

Set and drift are two other variables that we try and use to our advantage.

RupertW

Visit site
Technically speaking the tide is the movement of water. What we are actually interested in is the height of water at any moment in time. Low water and high water are two moments that we take great interest in as we can make all sorts of calculations from them.

Set and drift are two other variables that we try and use to our advantage.
So to answer my question there is no possible confusion using to common (and dictionary defined) usage of low and high tide. I will continue then.

steveeasy

Visit site
Thoughts for you. Did you have a switch that turned on your autopilot? Do the instruments/ auto pilot even go near the switchboard?

I am going through this now addition of Solar AIS Etc. I bought a Dymo machine every wire is getting labelled. It’s taken 18 months slowly so far of finding “random” junctions and identifying without stripping half the trim to find out where a random wire goes.

It’s a PITA it will not look tidy, however if taken apart every wire will be identifiable, at every junction, easy to identify change or remove. As I am sure that in my ownership there will be “new essentials” to add.

The nightmare I am having in doing this is the in-line fuses. Some units have them others don’t, some are by the unit others at the other end of the wire. How do you indicate that other than very long Dymo labels.
I don’t think anything went thru the switch panels and if it did it came out the wrong switch.

Actually mine should be easy. Very basic wiring and the original is in good order. Now I’ve sorted the supply and distribution for it I’m fine.
Seatalk and what has proceeded it as well as Wi-Fi stuff I’m well passed that stuff. I like simple and it’s all I can cope with.

Yours sounds hard work. 18 months I’ve just done mine in 1 day and I’m stressed as I can’t get done. In a jiffy
Good luck

Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
Id like to learn a bit more about seatalk and what has proceeded it if anyone can suggest a guide for dummies!!

Steveeasy

onesea

Visit site
Yours sounds hard work. 18 months I’ve just done mine in 1 day and I’m stressed as I can’t get done.
I have been sailing her as well.

Mine has gone from simple 2 battery. Engine and lights to added auto pilot, Radio, VHF, Echo sunset & sea-me at some point.

I bought her with an earth fault that meant half of it was not working.

I've changed auto pilot added solar & VCR next its chart plotter, wind instrument.

At each step has been added hap hazard.

I am replacing some stuff and keeping some. Organising a bit it will still look like a snakes gangbang but each junction wire and fuse will be labelled (NMEA 183, NMEA2000 inline dude VHF etc) and known.

billskip

Visit site
Personally, I'd like to keel haul all the old bodgers from the 'golden age' of sailing who added stuff willy-nilly thinking that their inspired solution would make sense to anybody in 25 years time!
Probably guilty, but it was my boat and I did what I was happy with, I wasn't really worried about 25 years time, I needed something that worked for me, not the future know all's.

geem

Visit site
I have been sailing her as well.

Mine has gone from simple 2 battery. Engine and lights to added auto pilot, Radio, VHF, Echo sunset & sea-me at some point.

I bought her with an earth fault that meant half of it was not working.

I've changed auto pilot added solar & VCR next its chart plotter, wind instrument.

At each step has been added hap hazard.

I am replacing some stuff and keeping some. Organising a bit it will still look like a snakes gangbang but each junction wire and fuse will be labelled (NMEA 183, NMEA2000 inline dude VHF etc) and known.
I have a full electrical distribution board rewire to look forward to when I get back to the UK later this year. The panel was built very well 43 years ago but the Merlin Gerin breakers are long since obsolete. They predate DIN rail so my rewire will include the installation of DIN rail mounted breakers. The issue is space. I am hoping I can get everything into the limited space. There are twenty four 24v breakers, four 220v breakers, a main breaker and an RCD. The 24v and 220v is sectioned but I may need to remove the 220v section and install a consumer unit elsewhere to generate enough space for the low voltage side. Oh what joy😬

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a full electrical distribution board rewire to look forward to when I get back to the UK later this year. The panel was built very well 43 years ago but the Merlin Gerin breakers are long since obsolete. They predate DIN rail so my rewire will include the installation of DIN rail mounted breakers. The issue is space. I am hoping I can get everything into the limited space. There are twenty four 24v breakers, four 220v breakers, a main breaker and an RCD. The 24v and 220v is sectioned but I may need to remove the 220v section and install a consumer unit elsewhere to generate enough space for the low voltage side. Oh what joy😬

When I designed the electrical system my boat about 20 years ago I tried to include equipment to allow expansion of I included 10% extra switched and spare wiring.

I now have no spares left and even during wiring I had to increase the size of trundling and add extra trunking

If I were to do it again (which I won't) I would try to think all I may need then double it and then double it again and expect to runout at some time in the future